It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MS Paint Artwork
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:25 pm  (#1) 
Former Member

Topic is self explanatory just post your artwork made in MS Paint here.

Now I haven't used MS Paint in a long time, but I found some of my old art made in it, that I'll share.
Attachment:
mspaintmyspacedefault.png
mspaintmyspacedefault.png [ 364.27 KiB | Viewed 6364 times ]

Attachment:
mspaintart.png
mspaintart.png [ 221.25 KiB | Viewed 6364 times ]

NOTE: CanvasPaint is a web based version of MS Paint, and KolorPaint is a good MS Paint clone for Linux.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: MS Paint Artwork
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:18 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I originally did these in 1992 on my brother's PC which was a 386 processor I believe. lol

The piction is that of my Geo Metro and me fishing with my imaginary dog running in the background (probably won't be able to make out those details though; lol). My Geo was the first car that I ever purchased after I graduated college. Got 40 mpg then, so there is no excuse not to come up with cars that can at least get the equivalent now (and bigger) and no, I'm no greeny. Just an efficiency freak. Took me way too long a time to paint this with a two button PS/2 mouse as I recall. Man has technolgy changed since then. Did both of these pics around the same time. Saving them now as PNG files to post here (just found out that bmp is not allowed; who uses that format anymore anyway; lol). The amazing thing is these images were done on a CGA monitor and took up nearly the whole resolution at 16 colors at that time. :)

Attachment:
ljkart.png
ljkart.png [ 78.69 KiB | Viewed 6342 times ]

Attachments:
LJKART2.png
LJKART2.png [ 30 KiB | Viewed 6342 times ]

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:19 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

MS Paint is great for pixel art. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:33 pm  (#4) 
Former Member

I like that first result of yours lylejk! :bigthup

And Rod, MS Paint is a Pixel editor, so of course it's great for pixel editing :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:56 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Mike; don't even know why I still hang on to these remnants of a very past life. These were the first two digital art that I've ever attempted though. Didn't really get serious with digital art until 1999 (really 2003). Started using GIMP in late 2001 so it's been 9 years now. Still learning new (and rediscovering old) tricks in GIMP each day. When I used MS Paint, my brother's system was only capable of 16 colors at 640X480 rez as I recall. Looking back, that was fun. Not too many folk was dealing with digital photography or art at that time; not even sure Photoshop existed in 1992, but believe it did. So many technologies have been created since then. Thanks for bringing this subject up; brings back a lot of good (and bad) memories, but the good outweighs the bad. :)

edit:

I take my statement back. I did have a CoCo between 1981 and 1983, and did a lot of graphic like stuff with it, but those efforts, of course, no longer exists. Used a tape back up drive then too. Found out how to graph 3D graphs like the waterdrop statistical grid graph (similar to this image (http://www.crgraph.com/Statistics-Dateien/image002.gif) but of course no where near the quality and also no way at the time to distiguish top part of graph from bottom). :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:35 am  (#6) 
Former Member

lylejk wrote:
Thanks Mike; don't even know why I still hang on to these remnants of a very past life.

lol me neither (well can't say past life, but beginning of designing for me)

lylejk wrote:
Not too many folk was dealing with digital photography or art at that time; not even sure Photoshop existed in 1992, but believe it did.

Yeah PS did, it was actually released exactly in 1990, History of PS.

lylejk wrote:
So many technologies have been created since then. Thanks for bringing this subject up; brings back a lot of good (and bad) memories, but the good outweighs the bad. :)

Exactly!:)

lylejk wrote:
I take my statement back. I did have a CoCo between 1981 and 1983, and did a lot of graphic like stuff with it, but those efforts, of course, no longer exists. Used a tape back up drive then too. Found out how to graph 3D graphs like the waterdrop statistical grid graph (similar to this image (http://www.crgraph.com/Statistics-Dateien/image002.gif) but of course no where near the quality and also no way at the time to distiguish top part of graph from bottom). :)

Isn't SeaShore based on CoCo??? (The image editor on Mac OS X)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:45 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Don't believe I heard of seashore. I know there was a graphic editor for CoCo since recently I've been playing with a CoCo java based emulator (big fan of Megabug). Since I can't get to GIMPTalk right now (lol), I will link the other thread where I posted my adventure with it (see my two additional responses too).

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... gabug&qf=m

edit:

GIMPTalk works now (my parallel post):
http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/viewtopic ... ug#p360182

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:39 pm  (#8) 
Former Member

Reminds me of Pacman, although I don't like it at all, maybe it's cause I'm glued to today's technology, and the PS3, with the move controllers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:23 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Not sure if you seen the new Megabug. Some guy actually found me out when I posted this and emailed me his site where he posted his new modern version of Megabug. I only played in Sandboxed since I was a little paranoid. Suppose to be Open Sourced, but I'm no coder so I have no way of vetting it. Still it plays quite well Sandboxed and had some fun with it a few months ago. :)

http://gamejolt.com/open-source/games/p ... abug/3016/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:12 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I used to play a game called Earth 2025 at Jolt Games.
http://www.jolt.co.uk/?articleid=1404
They no longer support the game its here now.
http://www.earthempires.com/
I just wonder if both sites are related as both are from Jolt?
Maybe just a coincidence?

I downloaded the MegaBug game it is a lot like PacMan i like it.
One game i used to love to play and was real good at was Asteroids.

Man i remember the days of old when games consisted of a stick man of white pixels and a black screen...lol
Or two white lines for paddles and a white square pixel for a ball to play tennis!
I would love to have one of those old Atari systems with all the old games. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:06 am  (#11) 
Former Member

Rod wrote:
I used to play a game called Earth 2025 at Jolt Games.
http://www.jolt.co.uk/?articleid=1404

Lol when I first read this I didn't see Jolt, I saw Joint. lmao.

Rod wrote:
Man i remember the days of old when games consisted of a stick man of white pixels and a black screen...lol
Or two white lines for paddles and a white square pixel for a ball to play tennis!
I would love to have one of those old Atari systems with all the old games. :)

Before my time, however my step dad still kept his old nintendo, and atari, he still has a bunch of thoughs games, I didn't enjoy them, cause I'm more for today's technology, but he loves them. (My dad is 50, and my mom is 48, and my oldest brother is 31)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:19 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Remember the ASCII maze games Rod? I remember playing for hours a dungeans and dragons game on the VAX at AUM between classes. I became only the 3 person to gather enough power to complete it (took weeks). Think when you win, you become the Orb Carrier or something like that. lol

Not sure if you ever heard of MAME which is an emulator that allows you to play the actual ROMs from these games Rod. I have Ms Pacman and Galaga among many other ROMs. I don't have the one for Asteroids though. I use to play it a lot, but now really only open it up once or twice a year; no longer a gamer anymore. Still like Galaga though. In College, I broke the machine 3 times before the little College store guy banned me from the game (I knew the cheat code for Galaga; since the ROM I have is for Galaga, the cheat code's still there; lol). I guess I was costing the store too much money since it would take around 2 or more hours to complete the cycle. Going to AUM was a hoot. Sometimes I would have a class at 10am and my next class would be at 8pm and had to stay at school all day since I couldn't really afford the gas to drive home (parents house) from there all the time (AUM is a subsiderary of Auburn University but it was also one of those schools that tried to bring older folk in so it had weird running hours; lol). :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:51 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
Thanks Mike; don't even know why I still hang on to these remnants of a very past life. These were the first two digital art that I've ever attempted though. Didn't really get serious with digital art until 1999 (really 2003). Started using GIMP in late 2001 so it's been 9 years now. Still learning new (and rediscovering old) tricks in GIMP each day. When I used MS Paint, my brother's system was only capable of 16 colors at 640X480 rez as I recall. Looking back, that was fun. Not too many folk was dealing with digital photography or art at that time; not even sure Photoshop existed in 1992, but believe it did. So many technologies have been created since then. Thanks for bringing this subject up; brings back a lot of good (and bad) memories, but the good outweighs the bad. :)

edit:

lylejk,

Um, if I may be so bold, please consider posting more of your early computer graphics works here or somewhere online if you already haven't. They need to be part of a record of people doing interesting graphics with more limited computers compared to todays and what is to come. I find the images very interesting. They are a real classical gem in my opinion. I know classical usually refers to much much older things, but in the case of computers, those are already classical.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:57 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks CC; believe it or not, I really stopped doing this (wish I hadn't) after the second one and not doing experiments again until I discovered vector simplication (didn't save any of those results) and then went on to finally end up where I am thus far. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:22 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

I tried out windows 7 paint the other day. Did this quickly though. And yes you are allowed to laugh in my face. :lol
Not sure what I was thinking with the yellow stripes. :rofl

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:37 am  (#16) 
Global Moderator

Jolie wrote:
Not sure what I was thinking with the yellow stripes.

Jolie: How magnificently radiant the (potted plant?) was?

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:40 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

You guessed what it was! :jumpclap

I think I wanted to put some emphasis on the masterpiece in the middle. :rofl

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:09 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
I originally did these in 1992 on my brother's PC which was a 386 processor I believe. lol

The piction is that of my Geo Metro and me fishing with my imaginary dog running in the background (probably won't be able to make out those details though; lol). My Geo was the first car that I ever purchased after I graduated college. Got 40 mpg then, so there is no excuse not to come up with cars that can at least get the equivalent now (and bigger) and no, I'm no greeny. Just an efficiency freak. Took me way too long a time to paint this with a two button PS/2 mouse as I recall. Man has technolgy changed since then. Did both of these pics around the same time. Saving them now as PNG files to post here (just found out that bmp is not allowed; who uses that format anymore anyway; lol). The amazing thing is these images were done on a CGA monitor and took up nearly the whole resolution at 16 colors at that time. :)

Attachment:
ljkart.png

386s, CGA, EGA, now that brings back the old days, DOS 3.3, looking for local BBS phone numbers so you could connect with your blazing hot 28.8 dialup only to look at a boring text only site. I really hate to make this sound like an old geezer but kids these days don't realize how easy they have computers. They didn't have Windows or a GUI then, you had to type everything, syntax had to be perfect. No graphics online, 16 colors offline 640 x 200 screen. It was horrible but new and fun at the same time.

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:21 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

I remember paying around $30 for a cool bbs program that I used (and wasnt' that often) to peruse the bbs for the fun of it. Mainly was into Amiga mod files at the time and the 386 had just enough horsepower to play them. I know use a cool (now open source program but when I first started using it, it wasn't and was called modplug at that time) program called openmpt and it can more then just Amiga mods. Mod files are much better in quality then midi ever will be. I still have several mods that I've collected over the years (XMs, and ITs too). :)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:28 pm  (#20) 
Global Moderator

I ran Autocad on a 286 DX with 8 meg of RAM. The system came with 4 meg, but I upgraded it. I think it had DOS 2.1 on it. But of course, AutoCAD was all command line.