It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MS Paint Artwork
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:16 am  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
I ran Autocad on a 286 DX with 8 meg of RAM. The system came with 4 meg, but I upgraded it. I think it had DOS 2.1 on it. But of course, AutoCAD was all command line.
I took a course in Autocad back in the early 80s, I just loved it's precision. I aced the course and found a pirated copy (it was several thousand smackers back then) and I was a drawing fool. I still can't afford it and wouldn't even if I could because it's scandalous. I have a little version from autodesk, QuickCad, but it's old and they don't make it anymore. I've found that turbocad 15 - 17 is a pretty good replacement. Ever since I took the course I've just been crazy about CAD drawing ever since. Back then I has an old XT, I scraped up about $200 to buy an 8087 math coprocessor to run it. My ex wife was really upset, but then i actually used it for work.

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:14 am  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

Never used anything but OrCAD GMS. lol

Man, I remember the days of having to get a separate math co-processor and then I remember when they started to combine both on the same chip. Man those were the days. Only had to fiddle a few times with Autocad (to create searcheable PDFs of Circuit boards that were laid out in Autocad as I recall) but never used it to draw. I believe there is an open source cad program, but never used that one either (just not in to CAD programs I guess). :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:07 pm  (#23) 
Global Moderator

Back in the 80s, Technicad was the big kahuna, until AutoCAD rolled out. It was rather clunky, I thought it was easier to draw by hand. AutoCAD changed my mind on that, using the plotter.

Lyle, yes, I originally had an SX machine but couldn't run AutoCAD on it, until I installed the math-coprocessor. I'm trying to remember what my actual processing speed was (it's been so long ago) 33mHz? It wasn't a lot, lol.