It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: picture mosiac software
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:08 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Does anyone have experience with any software (free of course) that makes pictures out of lots of little pictures...photomosaic? I have a project, and while I might use Gimp to crop some of the pics, I want some easy-to-use software that makes the large photo from one pic out a bunch of tiny photos.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: picture mosiac software
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:14 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Something like this

This is a scaled down image, you can/will get some very large results.

for windows http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic/

for linux http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/schani/metapixel/

You will need to make/accumulate your own tile libraries. There is a 500 sample on the andreamosaic site but generally you need many more than this, a couple of thousand all different colours.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:59 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the links. Yes, this is the idea, to use lots of snapshots to make one large picture. I do not know anyone who has used any of the software, and wondered if anyone has any tips or hints on ease of use, pre-cropping, etc.

*Andrea Mosaic looks good, I think I might try it as it has a Mac version....not sure how much space I have left to store all the hundreds of pics it needs to work! Eek.

**is download/cnet a safe place to download from? And how would I even know which download button to use so as to NOT get a bunch of extra crap?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:31 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Mac, now there is a thing. If it was windoze I would not touch Cnet with a bargepole, but Mac might be ok.

Going to use Andrea? I have tried it but since I use Linux, tend to go for metapixel

They both work in similar ways, convert and colour index images into libraries of tiles. Andrea outputs jpegs and metapixel png's.

Remember that each pixel (or 2) will be replaced by a tile chosen by colour. That is what I meant by the result can be very large. I remember the only time I crashed linux was by not paying attention to the image size. Tried to open a monster size generated png, I could see the memory filling up, then the swap partition filling, then locked solid ;)

If you want to try my collection of tiles, I have converted them from png to jpg to save space and zipped them.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/w4s3p ... _tiles.zip
As it says, 120x120 pix tiles, around 3500 in 5 folders. All different sorts of images. The zip is about 20 MB.
These are not indexed so you will still have to run them through Andrea. There is info on the Andrea site.

Other ways of making tiles. I have some success taking a small grayscale copy of the image and recolouring to produce a set of tiles. That was how the Wilbur image was made. Each letter was run through this 'quick&dirty' bash file.

#!/bin/bash
#
# uses imagemagick to produce 2197 (13*13*13) coloured tiles for the metapixel application
# for speed / disk space prepare a greyscale tile the same size as the tile required
# this greyscale image picture.png is copied by adjusting the RGB values on each loop.
#
#
for r in $(seq 10 20 250) # steps from 10 to 250 in increments of 20
do
for g in $(seq 10 20 250)
   do
   for b in $(seq 10 20 250)
         do
         echo "picture$r$g$b.png" # this line only to show something is happening
         convert picture.png  +level-colors ,"rgb($r,$g,$b)" "picture$r$g$b.jpg"

done
done
done

Not much else to add, all you can do is experiment.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:59 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I used Andreamosaic on our pc and it worked quite nicely. I tried to download it to mac but it won't work..the whole x11 thing. It asks for it, I have it, it won't use it. I tried a simple mac app, it 'might' be ok, but I like the way andrea works, so I need to look for a mac app that would work like the andrea program. I have my own tiles...it needs to be certain pics that people are sending me.
I forgot to check to see if there is anything like mosaic in g'mic.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:05 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

http://web.archive.org/web/200605150436 ... /gimp.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:20 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

Mosaizer I believe is Windows only but it's very good.
They offer some other very cool free software as well.

[Edit]
I just re-read the post, Mosaizer although good wont do for your project.
One place worth a look for photo software, Photo-Freeware.net.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:51 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

samj wrote:
http://web.archive.org/web/20060515043630/www.kirchgessner.net/gimp.html

This is pretty old, gimp 1.x I wonder if this would work in 2.8! Also not sure how to put it into McGimp.