It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: John Bartlebee's Own Game (Stencyl Test, Updated 23 Nov)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:18 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

merrak wrote:
Mokonafan wrote:
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll I am really a n00b with 2D games, I still loose at super Mario. LOL
So it's probably more me than you. xD

It seemed like 80's games were harder than 90's games, which were harder than 2000's.

I'm making a new level 1 with a gentler learning curve. Originally I was thinking "Syobon Action" level of difficulty for the first level - but Syobon is a play on something familiar and I don't think it'd work here.

@AnMal ~ Thanks :) The sprites were easy to make. There are a lot of them, but they're only 24 x 48 pixels - not much room for detail :P

I've been making my sprites bigger then resizing them smaller so there is still a lot of detail even if you can't "see it" you can still in a way "see it". :D

Yes games have gotten easier over all, there is a funny video called if "Quake was made today", it pretty much sums it up for you. lol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:03 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

Mokonafan wrote:
I've been making my sprites bigger then resizing them smaller so there is still a lot of detail even if you can't "see it" you can still in a way "see it". :D

Yes games have gotten easier over all, there is a funny video called if "Quake was made today", it pretty much sums it up for you. lol

Except for Sim City 4, I haven't seriously played many games made in the past few years. (And I'm not how "recent" SC4 could be considered). My wife bought me Angry Birds and Bad Piggies to play on her ipad. I do try to stay current with the latest technology, though. Video game graphics is one of the major applications of the kind of math I teach in my upper level courses. But new FPS just don't hold my interest very long, and I think that video you mentioned hits the reason why :P

I've given my own little game a face-lift, and began incorporating feedback I've received on the 0.0 alpha version.

One thing that would help with the animation would be if I could figure out how to get GIMP to export each layer in an array, like in the image below

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:44 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

merrak: hehe, i couldn't get anywhere on this game (i couldn't manage the climbing), but i liked the look of it - i felt very at home in that setting, looked a lot like some games i played when i was a lot younger :).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:11 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

Games got pretty controlling and hold-my-hand-ish....I like my old games, UT99, Oni, Jedi Knight 2 for the win! lol -I liked to build houses in Sims 2 I couldn't get in to sims city it was kinda boring for me. xD

I'm not sure what you mean but there's a script that allows you to save all layers separately.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8313&start=0

Looking good! :3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:49 pm  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

@Mokonafan ~ Thanks :D I need all the frames in the same image, just side-by-side.

@AnMal ~ I've scrapped the first level and remade it - and took care of a few bugs that were making controlling the character harder than intended.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:08 am  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

New version uploaded! { Link }

I updated the gameplay a bit. The first level is now more doable. There are two levels total in this version. Some of the abilities the player started with in the first version (such as wall-jumping) now have to be gained as you advance.

Hint ~ Generally, the faster you move, the less likely you are to be injured by any traps. The par time for level 1 is 40 seconds, and 45 for level two.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:15 am  (#27) 
merrak wrote:
@Mokonafan ~ Thanks :D I need all the frames in the same image, just side-by-side

@merrak: Hi. This python script will arrange your layers either horizontally or vertically at a chosen spacing. Maybe this would achieve your goal.

Attachments:
File comment: Resides under the Image menu.
arrange-layers-0.2.py.zip [2.27 KiB]
Downloaded 61 times
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:03 pm  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

Quick update - Level 1 now connects to level 2 instead of restarting :D

fluffybunny wrote:
@merrak: Hi. This python script will arrange your layers either horizontally or vertically at a chosen spacing. Maybe this would achieve your goal.

Thanks! That's what I need. I'll give it a try :)

Post subject: Re: John Bartlebee's Own Game (New Version, 1 Dec)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:10 pm  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

I played it a bit, that was much easier!
Am curious of why the up key isn't the jump key? Is it for when you climb?

Nice job so far! :3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:41 pm  (#30) 
GimpChat Member

Mokonafan wrote:
I played it a bit, that was much easier!
Am curious of why the up key isn't the jump key? Is it for when you climb?

Nice job so far! :3

Did you get to level 2? :mrgreen:

Eventually up will be climb and down will be climb/use. Not having any kind of ladder / elevator / rope, etc. makes level design difficult. For a platformer, the character can't jump very high... about 1 1/2 tiles (although running at full speed, she can jump very far horizontally)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:18 pm  (#31) 
GimpChat Member

I keeps turning me in to piles of red things I die to easily but I think I need to be more patient.
I'll try and finish a whole level when I'm not half asleep like I am right now. :lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:09 pm  (#32) 
GimpChat Member

Okay I'm a noob, I tried again and I keep failing. xD
Those spikes are a killer, framnabbit! D: xD

Edit: I think things that kill the "player" aren't consistent, one time I can hit the spikes (not fall on top, that's a consistent DIE) and get some damage, other times I'm trying to jump over and I die, I don't know if I'm noob or it's the game, though. lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:11 pm  (#33) 
GimpChat Member

Mokonafan wrote:

Edit: I think things that kill the "player" aren't consistent, one time I can hit the spikes (not fall on top, that's a consistent DIE) and get some damage, other times I'm trying to jump over and I die, I don't know if I'm noob or it's the game, though. lol

Spikes are sharp - look out! :D

The damage depends on the angle you hit the spikes at, and how fast you hit them. Falling on them takes away the most - 20hp, which is all you have until you find some power-ups.

Something that can "randomize" damage - If you're hit by something, you are immune from damage for about half a second. Sometimes you can survive falling on the spikes if something that does minor damage hits you, keeping the spikes from doing any damage. During that half-second, you can't move. It's easier to get through the third room (the pentagon-shaped room with the spikes at the very top) if you start running before you enter it (hold down X). That fireball doesn't do much damage by itself, but if it hits you while you're jumping, you're probably going to land in the spikes.

I may need to play with the collision boxes a bit. I think at the moment if your toes hit the top of the spikes as you're jumping over them, it counts as "hitting" just as much as if you were to run straight into them. Collision boxes can be a bit of a pain for irregularly shaped objects.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:24 pm  (#34) 
GimpChat Member

merrak wrote:
Mokonafan wrote:

Spikes are sharp - look out! :D

The damage depends on the angle you hit the spikes at, and how fast you hit them. Falling on them takes away the most - 20hp, which is all you have until you find some power-ups.

Something that can "randomize" damage - If you're hit by something, you are immune from damage for about half a second. Sometimes you can survive falling on the spikes if something that does minor damage hits you, keeping the spikes from doing any damage. During that half-second, you can't move. It's easier to get through the third room (the pentagon-shaped room with the spikes at the very top) if you start running before you enter it (hold down X). That fireball doesn't do much damage by itself, but if it hits you while you're jumping, you're probably going to land in the spikes.

I may need to play with the collision boxes a bit. I think at the moment if your toes hit the top of the spikes as you're jumping over them, it counts as "hitting" just as much as if you were to run straight into them. Collision boxes can be a bit of a pain for irregularly shaped objects.

Ohhhh it's based by angle, okay, that's interesting actually! That's nice. :O
I've been jumping then getting hit RIGHT OVER THE SPIKES and Poof! xD
I know that feeling with the collision boxes! Because of the snap-grid in Game Maker if you aren't perfectly in between a enemy it'll hit you and poof! lol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:53 am  (#35) 
GimpChat Member

Mokonafan wrote:
Ohhhh it's based by angle, okay, that's interesting actually! That's nice. :O
I've been jumping then getting hit RIGHT OVER THE SPIKES and Poof! xD
I know that feeling with the collision boxes! Because of the snap-grid in Game Maker if you aren't perfectly in between a enemy it'll hit you and poof! lol

In Stencyl you can edit the collision boxes and make just about any regular polygon. But more vertices = lower frame rate, so it's best to keep to simple shapes whenever possible. I'd assume that's possible in Game Maker.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:43 pm  (#36) 
GimpChat Member

Major update! I made some animated backgrounds and a few more graphics. I've never done any animations before, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. I need to get out of the dungeon levels so I can do some forests.

Also, some gameplay updates. I added sound, and three complete levels. I'm still working on the difficulty curve, but level one should be gentler than it was originally. The spikes have a more reasonable collision box.

Trying to make the levels look nicer has been a real challenge. There's only so much art you can add before the frame rate drops. Now that I'm getting the code and game mechanics down, I'm starting to look at the game more as an artist than a programmer. I'd really like to have shadows and flickering lights. I'm not sure yet how to add them without crushing the FPS.

You can't see it from the image, but the torches in the background are animated.

A stare-down. Who will win after the gate opens???

A secret room. Can you find it?