It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 5:21 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:10 pm  (#48) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
Here is the modified tcl file with demo gif and ppm files. I renamed the original tcl file and included it in the zip. The files "generator.tcl" and "generator.tcl.old" file go into the bin folder. The ppm and gif files get added to the images folder. You can replace the 5 new gif and ppm files with your own.

Please let me know what you think.


Attachments:
generator extras.zip [518.6 KiB]
Downloaded 294 times

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.
Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:45 pm  (#49) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Script works great; thanks a heap PM. :)


Attachments:
new_menu.png
new_menu.png [ 174.11 KiB | Viewed 5073 times ]

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:11 pm  (#50) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
Looks good! I may end up adding another row of textures and some more background images too.

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:35 pm  (#51) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
I know David's been buzy with the Sourceforge fiasco, but I do hope he sees this thread and maybe see if G'MIC can do these. Copy/Paste as bitmap isn't what I would like to do and not sure if I really want to learn blender just so I can use the stl files with it. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:22 pm  (#52) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
Bob63 wrote:
I got right into my DA account this morning, but I have Firefox set to remember passwords.

Still can't get into DA and DA still won't send me my @#$%!%$@ password!!!

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:37 pm  (#53) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 19, 2010
Posts: 376
Location: North Central Ohio, USA
PhotoMaster wrote:
Still can't get into DA and DA still won't send me my @#$%!%$@ password!!!
Wow, that sucks. Not trying to make you feel bad, but I've been able to access my account there again since I posted earlier. Very odd that you can't get in.

_________________
Life Truth: #12
My cat is a worst typist than I am.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:52 pm  (#54) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 29, 2010
Posts: 711
Location: Netherlands
I tried it too.(sculpture generator)
Since I don't have Windows had to use wine.
Stumbled upon a nice GUI to use Wine: q4wine.
http://q4wine.brezblock.org.ua/document ... steps.html
I had to recompile my kernel though because it wants "fuse" enabled.
Too bad I can't save the files in a format that Gimp recognizes.
I wonder if it's not possible to achieve the same with the many filters available in Gimp.
Gerard.

_________________
Gentoo Linux always up-to-date.
Kernel-3.17.4 Python-2.7.8/3.3.5
Gimp-2.8.14

I use Linux only.
And Virtualbox with Win 7


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:40 pm  (#55) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16195
I have access to my Deviant Art account also, no problems at all.
I also have FireFox set to remember passwords, maybe that's the difference.
That is weird though.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:48 pm  (#56) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16195
PhotoMaster wrote:
Here is the modified tcl file with demo gif and ppm files. I renamed the original tcl file and included it in the zip. The files "generator.tcl" and "generator.tcl.old" file go into the bin folder. The ppm and gif files get added to the images folder. You can replace the 5 new gif and ppm files with your own.

Please let me know what you think.


Works excellent for me too PM!
Thanks. :)

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:48 pm  (#57) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
gerard82 wrote:
I tried it too.(sculpture generator)
Since I don't have Windows had to use wine.
Stumbled upon a nice GUI to use Wine: q4wine.
http://q4wine.brezblock.org.ua/document ... steps.html
I had to recompile my kernel though because it wants "fuse" enabled.
Too bad I can't save the files in a format that Gimp recognizes.
I wonder if it's not possible to achieve the same with the many filters available in Gimp.
Gerard.


I didn't directly ask David (G'MIC), but did add a wishlist entry concerning this. G'MIC can do 3D; not sure if can manipulate stl files though. I know it can do mimimal surfaces (like the gyroid; David made a preset just for me a few months ago). Mapping textures to surfaces is another story; not happy with G'MICs results as I am with this little program. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:16 pm  (#58) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 19, 2010
Posts: 376
Location: North Central Ohio, USA
I think G'MIC could do the whole thing, if the interface is built. I was thinking on this earlier and using the molten gold texture made this from the 3D object "Weird":


Attachments:
gmic-weird.png
gmic-weird.png [ 310.77 KiB | Viewed 4820 times ]

_________________
Life Truth: #12
My cat is a worst typist than I am.
Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:14 am  (#59) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
Thanks Lyle for sharing this gem, and PM for modifying the tcl file. Is there a limit to how many additional patterns you can add? I tried to add another 5 and thought I had all the bases covered, but it threw errors.

Anyway, it's been fun playing with the generator.

Image

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:55 am  (#60) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Wow; love that drift wood texture Mahvin; have a link to it? Again, I wish G'MIC would perspective texture like this program does, but it's probably just too much for a 2D app with some 3D capabilities to do. I'm still grateful that Schmiegel shared this one with me at his Deviant. This guy's stuff is nothing short of amazing by the way (as a side note, it was he who got me on my gyroid binge a while back). Linking his Deviant below. :)

http://my.deviantart.com/messages/#view ... 3A14463215

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:48 pm  (#61) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
I forgot where I found this, probably on http://www.cgtextures.com/

I sort of modified it for sculpture generator. I'll add it here.


Attachments:
wood.png
wood.png [ 178.69 KiB | Viewed 6573 times ]

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes
Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:21 pm  (#62) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
mahvin wrote:
Is there a limit to how many additional patterns you can add? I tried to add another 5 and thought I had all the bases covered, but it threw errors.

The code needs to be modified in a few places. I'll post something to say what I did and I will also be modding it to allow more patterns and backgrounds.

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:07 pm  (#63) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
That's cool, PM. I didn't want to use up the existing patterns that came with it, because they can be useful. I did find that sometimes textures have an effect on the backgrounds, which is a bummer sometimes.

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:20 pm  (#64) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
I always use a solid color background that doesn't appear in the pattern, so I can cut the background out in Gimp later.

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:32 pm  (#65) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Man, the generator.tcl file has more goodies to to improve the result. Below is an excerpt from my interaction with Schmiegel:

Your result looks awesome!
But I did it differently:
I edited C:\SculptGen\Sculpture Generator\bin\generator.tcl using a text editor.
The sliders ranges are defined in these keys: "inlinescale $name.bot."
Values seem to be: Min, Max, Stepping
Thanks to Carlo H. Séquin for creating an open and editable app!


Attached is something I did using that info. I bumped up the number of branches and holes to 32 as well as increase the quality (grid detail) to 19 (originally tried 32, but it crashed after I hit 20; chose 19 so I know it won't crash; lol). Pretty cool that you can customize this cool interface even more and I just wanted to share that info with all you enthusiast of this cool program. :)

Attachment:
enhancements.png
enhancements.png [ 23.19 KiB | Viewed 6555 times ]


Attachments:
squishy.jpg
squishy.jpg [ 645.95 KiB | Viewed 6555 times ]

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:53 pm  (#66) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
Awesome stuff, Lyle, thanks! :)

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:20 pm  (#67) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
Oooooh! More playing for me!!!

If the patterns we select are square (as opposed to rectangular), I wouldn't think they would effect the background.

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group