It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: {Game Release} Blox, Official Demo
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:16 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

It's finally here! With 5 levels, 60 FPS and colorful 2D graphics, I give you.....!

From what I'm told my version of GameMaker only allows gameplay on the Windows platform (for PC not phones), but I'm not sure if it doesn't work in linux so if anybody here has it I'd like to know if it works.
Also I recommend reading the manual, the game's not hard but there are little things that will help you if you read it.

Download and Information

Enjoy!

I hope you enjoy it!

Last edited by Mokonafan on Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: {Game Release} Blox, Official Demo
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:18 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

It actually works under WINE! I think this is the first game of yours I was able to play.

Works pretty well, too. Catchy tune--I didn't get past the first level.

One thought:
-- In these sorts of games, you're usually able to hit the ball at an angle by hitting it off-center of the paddle. The closer to the edge, the steeper the angle. It's a bit difficult to keep the ball from going straight-vertical once you launch it, requiring a careful hit on the very edge of the paddle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:04 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

conbagui wrote:
Looks good so far Moko, I will try it soon :bigthup

Okey dokey! :tyspin

merrak wrote:
It actually works under WINE! I think this is the first game of yours I was able to play.

Works pretty well, too. Catchy tune--I didn't get past the first level.

One thought:
-- In these sorts of games, you're usually able to hit the ball at an angle by hitting it off-center of the paddle. The closer to the edge, the steeper the angle. It's a bit difficult to keep the ball from going straight-vertical once you launch it, requiring a careful hit on the very edge of the paddle.

Yeah I know it's quite a pain to hit. I'm glad it's working for you! I'm not sure why, it might be because it was exported from a newer version of GameMaker...thought that might mean nothing. Not sure....I think I forgot to remove a dev button, if you want to go to another level try pressing 0 before you press space_bar.

:tyspin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:09 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

Good job,

Blocks with explosion is a big +! I think you should make more of those.

I remember this one Tetris game I played a long time ago, it stood out from other Tetris games because when you got a line or more they used a cool explosion to get rid of of that line or more. They even had different kinds of explosions. So getting the lines was a constant treat.

I can create that ball bug by holding the up key to run into the ball instead of letting it bounce.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:37 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

trandoductin wrote:
Good job,

Blocks with explosion is a big +! I think you should make more of those.

I remember this one Tetris game I played a long time ago, it stood out from other Tetris games because when you got a line or more they used a cool explosion to get rid of of that line or more. They even had different kinds of explosions. So getting the lines was a constant treat.

I can create that ball bug by holding the up key to run into the ball instead of letting it bounce.

I know of that, I figured it was a result of being collided with instead of it being a bug...though I don't know if it's a bug or not!

Wasn't sure which kinda effect to use I was rather happy with the one for the break-able blocks though! :D

:tyspin :tyspin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:32 am  (#6) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Nice work! :jumpclap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:50 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

This is looking really good and colorful! Colors are always a good thing :mrgreen: The music is really fitting as well!
As for feedback, I would add powerups/trick powerups that sometimes fall from destroyed blocks and you can pick up. I think this would make the game more fun and rewarding. And maybe make the first level a little less difficult hehe :hehe and build it up from there

Also noticed a few bugs:
- When you move your paddle up while the ball is touching it, the paddle and ball are unable to move
- Like merrak said, you are only able to hit the ball at an angle by hitting it with the edge of your paddle

It's nice to see you're still making games :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:58 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

BaukjeSpirit wrote:
This is looking really good and colorful! Colors are always a good thing :mrgreen: The music is really fitting as well!
As for feedback, I would add powerups/trick powerups that sometimes fall from destroyed blocks and you can pick up. I think this would make the game more fun and rewarding. And maybe make the first level a little less difficult hehe :hehe and build it up from there

Also noticed a few bugs:
- When you move your paddle up while the ball is touching it, the paddle and ball are unable to move
- Like merrak said, you are only able to hit the ball at an angle by hitting it with the edge of your paddle

It's nice to see you're still making games :)

Hum, as you both say that I got an idea but not sure how to fix it perfectly. But I do have an idea! lol
I did add power ups that fall, maybe you didn't hit one of those blocks? They don't always fall so maybe you did hit them... :gaah

Hmm, first level was intended to be easier, maybe it was too hard if others had a hard time too. I'll keep that in mind for the full version of the game. :geek - I was kinda trying to show an example since it's a demo, maybe I made it too hard. It's hard for me to judge since I'm personally terrible at these kind of games. :lol :

Yep, I'm still making games, learning how to code them too! It's hard! hehe :gaah

Thanks for the feedback! :D

Wallace wrote:
Nice work! :jumpclap

:tyspin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:53 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I've seen some blocks that looked like they had powerups in the second level, but I didn't had anymore lives before I could hit them. I'm terrible at these types of games as well, they're still fun to play though. :P

And do you need to code in GameMaker? Or is it more like filling in templates and drag&dropping them onto objects/sprites and stuff?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:15 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I ran a nagging campaign on Twitter for one week, here's the results. :lol

Views were on Blogspot where I know the game was at least seen if not downloaded.

BaukjeSpirit wrote:
I've seen some blocks that looked like they had powerups in the second level, but I didn't had anymore lives before I could hit them. I'm terrible at these types of games as well, they're still fun to play though. :P

And do you need to code in GameMaker? Or is it more like filling in templates and drag&dropping them onto objects/sprites and stuff?

:hehe I know these games are a pain but it was fun to make anyways. xD

In GameMaker you can code or drag and drop, most of what I did is drag and drop. Now I'm working on a version of Tilly's Rose Garden with more code in it. I was shown this website that's nice for coding because you can put your codes side by side and compare them. Also if you are doing a game with another person you can share the link and compare notes. http://webwhiteboard.com/#/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:31 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Slightly off topic; did you know about Humble Bundle? There's some gamedev stuff for sale pretty cheap (name your own price, but $12 minimum to get everything). I didn't see anything specific to GameMaker, but it might be worth taking a peek at what's available, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:10 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Interesting. Thanks for the notice.