It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My Poetry/Drawing Challenge - #2 The Musings Of a Music Box Doll
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:15 am  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

oldmangrumpy wrote:
Mokonafan - brilliant take on the subject and I love the image that accompanies your words; well done and keep them coming.

She deserves a response in my mind ...

I see her spinning round from time to time
with arms spread wide and her painted smile
but she does not notice me or my mood sublime
for I stand static on a shelf on high, a figurine in exile
from her musical, dancing world, yet I can sense her sorrow
but sadly nothing changes and all will be the same tomorrow.

Woo! :jumpclap :jumpclap I love it! :D
:tyspin :hi5

Post subject: Re: My Poetry/Drawing Challenge - #2 The Musings Of a Music Box Doll
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:52 am  (#22) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
:clap

Post subject: Re: My Poetry/Drawing Challenge - #3 Arrogant Eyes
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:08 am  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

Alrighty Next Up...#3!

This one is called Arrogant Eyes. The premise is basically a person mulling about the prideful. I've fallen "Victim" to the judgemental and prideful side of humanity, so you might take this as a bit of a rant of the cruelty and heartlessness of some people.

The picture for this one, I am truly unhappy with it, and somewhat mad at myself. I have learned that I don't know how to do expressions with eyes and that makes me kinda mad! :lol

I wanted a much more fancy and detailed artwork but alas it did not happen....although I literally tried probably 15-20 times. The face is colored in colored pencil the rest is watercolor, hints of colored pencil and my sorry attempt at paint splatter..I will most likely make a new picture for this poem since I like it a lot and I want a picture with just eyes saying all the expression that I want. So as said already I dislike this picture. I'm only posting it because I have to post something and I don't want artwork to hold back my flow of writing creativity I could always draw another one later.

This one has 11 verses...(rant confirmed?? LoL!)
How I have it is verses are in sets, I take apart a piece of an arrogant person's traits then go back to me..kinda like going in the others' shoes then back in to my own. I covered the prideful eyes, the the smug smile, the pointed up nose, the never listening ears and the closed minded heart. Since this is called 'Arrogant Eyes' I'll post up eyes, ears, and the closing statement.

Arrogant Eyes,
Wishing my demise,
Loving the idea of their worth,
Like they're God's gift to earth,
But really they do nothing but lie.

I feel like I'm on trial,
Always having to be in a state of denial,
For those eyes, they just judge me so,
And I really, really would love to know,
Were they always so dim and black?

Arrogant Ears,
Never listening,
Always proud with their minds glistening,
Knowing what's best 'cause they said so,
Never acknowledging what they don't know,
Then missing the point entirely.

I yell, I scream to warn them,
That arrogance doesn't become men,
I pray I don't become them,
Even if I that means I'll be shunned then.

And though I seem to be grieving,
I don't intend on leaving,
I'll just keep hope and believing,
That some will be found alive.

I hope this is okay, I know the drawing ruined it. >_>

God bless, Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:37 am  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

@moko

A most interesting challenge! I think your latest "arrogant eyes" image is not at all as bad as you make it out to be. Your usual images tend to be "friendly" in tone, so to speak, so it's cool to see you tackle a more sinister expression with your particular style: her mouth does come across as smug and the curve of the eyes resembles a snake a bit since you are slanting their corners upwards. The result is that you make a girl who looks kinda pretty while still conveying that she's not a very nice person. The bluish flame structure with the little white effects around her head also helps - it's subtle but that along with the fact that she is sort of floating in the middle of the image gives a little effect of her "projecting" some of her emotions outwards. Maybe this effect could be made even stronger if things were growing and expanding radially away from her, like if those were emotions were coming towards us.

Nice idea for a poem as well, heartfelt and yet with a touch of pity towards the arrogant person in it towards the end. I think it works well together with the image.
Griatch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:12 am  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

Moko, your poetry is intense, and your words get the point across so well! Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:52 pm  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

Griatch wrote:
@moko

A most interesting challenge! I think your latest "arrogant eyes" image is not at all as bad as you make it out to be. Your usual images tend to be "friendly" in tone, so to speak, so it's cool to see you tackle a more sinister expression with your particular style: her mouth does come across as smug and the curve of the eyes resembles a snake a bit since you are slanting their corners upwards. The result is that you make a girl who looks kinda pretty while still conveying that she's not a very nice person. The bluish flame structure with the little white effects around her head also helps - it's subtle but that along with the fact that she is sort of floating in the middle of the image gives a little effect of her "projecting" some of her emotions outwards. Maybe this effect could be made even stronger if things were growing and expanding radially away from her, like if those were emotions were coming towards us.

Nice idea for a poem as well, heartfelt and yet with a touch of pity towards the arrogant person in it towards the end. I think it works well together with the image.
Griatch

:tyspin

I suppose you're right I guess...I think it's because I know what I wanted but couldn't achieve that is why I'm rather unhappy with the picture. Meh! xD - I'm glad you enjoyed it though. :hi5

Pat625 wrote:
Moko, your poetry is intense, and your words get the point across so well! Keep up the good work!

Thank you! :D
Poetry gives me permission to be sassy. =p
I'm glad you enjoyed it! :yes
:tyspin :tyspin

Post subject: Re: My Poetry/Drawing Challenge - #4 Mourning Monastery
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:56 am  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

Okey, here is #4! This one was actually inspired by the random art-prompt thread started by Griatch. The theme being done at the moment is "an abandoned monastery" and that got me to thinking..a dangerous pass time - I know (name the quote, no google!)...And I got inspired to draw something and then I got inspired to write so we get this.

#4 Mourning Monastery.

The basis for this would be a narrator talking of an abandoned place (I chose monastery but you can put it to any old building you wish) where there used to be peace and hope but somehow the place of hope is abandoned and only the residue of times past are left. I use the old saying if walls could talk and actually say some of what they feel, basically I put in to the poem what the walls do feel...What you're probably seeing here is there is a lot of inanimate objects talking and thinking in my works..I promise these things don't really talk to me!! :lol

The Picture was done entirely in GIMP, so nothing much to say there. I used the perspective tool a lot and some filters, everything is made from scratch though.
The lighting and stuff was different for me so I hope it's fine.
(This image is also posted in the prompt thread)
There is a timelapse video for this, I'll admit it looks kinda LQ, not sure why I exported in HD but oh well.
Link

Okey, there are 8 verses, these are 1, 3, and 8.

Look at these old walls,
Perfected in their height,
Sculpted as if from angels in all their holy light.
Painted ceilings a plenty,
Majesty of which only the galaxies would compete,
But yet there is rubble, and dust on the seats.
These walls though having no voice,
Looking at them they speak,
They remember the times when they used to be a sanctuary for the weak.
The echos of hymns and spiritual songs echo in the gale,
If you listen close these echos prove that will angels prevail.
Perhaps though a brighter end will come to pass, and in to play,
Maybe the sun will shine again and show the light of day,
And possibly, you never know, maybe back will come the might,
And maybe, just possibly, back will come the Holy Light.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:13 am  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

All I can say is....wow. In the other thread, I referred to it as 'beautiful'. Seeing the video merely serves to strengthen this with the mastery you demonstrate in manipulating the tools of your art. Utterly fantastic.

The poem is merely the icing on the cake...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:07 pm  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

Very nice work on the Monastery Mokonafan! I love the floor in particular and also the light filtering through the gaps in the walls.

I also like the poem - you have painted a powerful series of pictures with your words - well done!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:48 pm  (#30) 
GimpChat Member

This is a great interpretation of the subject.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:40 pm  (#31) 
GimpChat Member

I have an idea...or at least a concept for another one. I'm wanting to work on that badly but also must work on my games! Ughghghhg!!! :gaah ....I should have something in a day or two though not sure when.

steven8 wrote:
All I can say is....wow. In the other thread, I referred to it as 'beautiful'. Seeing the video merely serves to strengthen this with the mastery you demonstrate in manipulating the tools of your art. Utterly fantastic.

The poem is merely the icing on the cake...

Oh shucks. :oops:
I like that you called it mastery and not cheating like a noob. :lol :hehe
Thanks! :tyspin :tyspin

Artloader wrote:
Very nice work on the Monastery Mokonafan! I love the floor in particular and also the light filtering through the gaps in the walls.

I also like the poem - you have painted a powerful series of pictures with your words - well done!

Thank you very much!
I'm happy to know the floor was nice to you, I wanted to show better that it was a church-like building so that's the pattern I figured would work. And it goes well with the light concept since it's a cross surrounded with a sun-like-light. :tyspin

2-ton wrote:
This is a great interpretation of the subject.

:hi5 :tyspin

Post subject: Re: My Poetry/Drawing Challenge - #5 Coloring Outside The Lines
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:14 am  (#32) 
GimpChat Member

Note: If you missed any of the other ones, I have them all linked in the first post.

This one is 'Coloring Outside The Lines'.

I had a different concept for this poem (and the drawing to be honest) but it just didn't go how I had planed or wanted...I guess that's okay but I hate it when it happens! :gaah

The premise I ended up with, is being yourself while staying kind, humble and loving is the best way to be free. Sounds somewhat cliche but I actually do believe in that so...Yep!

This picture I wanted to be first of a woman looking down but the angle wasn't working out for me, then I wanted it to be a child but that didn't work out either. Then I figured since this is about not following any rules or anything just make it up as I go along so I ended up with this picture...Somehow...:lol
Watercolor and pen (pen was last this time).

The anatomy isn't the best but meh...This is meant to be kinda sloppy on purpose so I guess that's alright.

There are 8 verses, these are 2, 4, 6, 7.
I actually wrote one poem but I didn't like it after I went back to it so I wrote a new one which is this one.

Life's to short for black and white, lets throw paint on the walls,
Lets not worry about rules but make our own calls,
Not to say abandon dignity, for sure that I do not speak,
I just think it's time that the stigma is killed of being different means you're weak.

Lets color outside the lines,
Show the world we're free,
And come and express who you are and want to be.
Sketch a pretty lady, and paint her loose and lovely,
Maybe draw a pure heart, and show how beautiful outbids ugly.
Life's too important to waste it on pride, and to live always being right,
Sometimes it's okay to be wrong, it gives you a wider sight.
Embrace what you don't know, humbly share what you do,
Together we can patch up with world, it starts with one then two.
You can color outside the lines,
It's perfectly okay you see,
To be modest yet still being yourself is to truly be free,
Love who you don't know, and remember who you do,
And in the end you'll be a true friend and someone will want to be a friend to you.

Idk what I think of these, but ..yeah...yay! :hehe

Enjoy!

Last edited by Mokonafan on Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My Poetry/Drawing Challenge - #5 Coloring Outside The Lines
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:25 am  (#33) 
GimpChat Member

Okay I have slacked a wee bit for a few days, but I should make 2 more sets this week, that's my goal!
Here's hoping. xD

No idea what I'mma write about, but lets see!

Post subject: Re: My Poetry/Drawing Challenge - #6 Mask
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:26 pm  (#34) 
GimpChat Member

Okey...Here's a new one! This one is called 'Mask'. I wanted to name it The Mask, and to be honest I like that better. But I figured the movie "The Mask" would enter people's minds so I didn't do it...I might call it that anyway...oh well back on point!

This poem is about how it feels to "put on the good face". It's some what of a rant, because...Well..

Warning a long rant here, if you want to get on to the picture and poem ignore this part, if you want to se me rant enter at your own risk! Lol
I have a personal pet-peeve. If a person says "Hi, how are you doing?" they should stay within your vicinity long enough for you to answer. It's as if in our modern culture we say how are you doing as a way to ease our conscience enough because we did the "nice thing by asking". And heaven forbid a person answers anything other than good or okay (which most people mean terrible when they say okay). Once somebody says they're not good the people around get uncomfortable like..."ohhh dear I might actually have to get out of myself 5 seconds and feel somebody else-'s pain". I know this isn't every human being on earth that does this, but I've seen too many to count do it to others and to me and I've kinda had enough of it. If you don't really want to know, don't ask

...But anyway I don't think anyone wants to hear me being annoyed so..lets get to the artwork next!

The picture shows how it feels when you have to always put on the good face because nobody within your range of communication cares how you feel, or if they do they really are clueless to anything other than you haven't "said" anything about it so inquiring doesn't seen necessary.

The top part, shows the happy colorful kind beautiful life that a person wants to show, the bottom shows how the flowers are dead, the vines are over grown, and the person is drowning being alone, sad, and the fact that if the person opens up people shut them down instead of showing compassion. Not a very happy picture, and I promise I'm not going to always draw these depressing things! I know my happy style is what everyone likes, I'm just taking advantage of this project to draw things I'd like to draw but I know isn't generally accepted from me by others.

Done with Markers, Pens, Watercolor, And a small bit of soft pastel.

The poem has 11 verses, I'm going to put up: 1, 3, 5, 6, and 11

My heart is broken,
With pain unspoken,
I wish people were brave,
To understand how I behave,
Because my heart is in a cave of torment.
I look at my reflection,
Remembering a recollection,
Of who I am truly,
Covering it up with jesting and foolery,
Because heartbreak isn't good to wear as jewelry.
This song might sound melancholy,
Since I've lead to you believe I'm jolly,
But my halls aren't decked with holly,
And my loneliness is seen as my folly.

This mask it fits so tight,
I hold on to with all my might,
Because heaven forbid I feel delight,
Long enough for darkness to drown out the light.
So in the end I say, cry for me no more,
But instead show me love,
And open for me a door.
Dear Lord God have mercy,
On Your melancholy Saint,
I know things will be better,
If I have he patience to wait.

Okey dokey!
I'm actually quite happy with this one, the picture didn't come out exactly how I wanted but I still like it!
And because I know I'm depressing everybody I have a picture I drew over the weekend that's really cute and happy, I'll post it later to undo some of the damage I've caused! :lol
God bless!

Enjoy.

Post subject: Re: #6 Mask - My Poetry/Drawing Challenge
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:04 am  (#35) 
Global Moderator

Moko - excellent you have become inspirational and so productive I can't keep up with you. I wanted to post a 'response' to the mask ... maybe later ;)

EDIT - finished the response; hope it is OK with you ...

My mask is slipping
my feet are tripping
my mood is tipping
to the other side.

My feelings slide
on an outgoing tide
I am hurt inside
my demeanour is dipping.

So I adjust my mask
because all I ask
of it is to hide
how I really feel so deep inside.

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:04 am  (#36) 
GimpChat Member

Both poems are very good, and unfortunately, very true.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:47 pm  (#37) 
GimpChat Member

I have an idea for a poem/drawing combo. Hopefully I can pull it off. A little hint that can mean anything : Lots of blue.

oldmangrumpy wrote:
Moko - excellent you have become inspirational and so productive I can't keep up with you. I wanted to post a 'response' to the mask ... maybe later ;)

EDIT - finished the response; hope it is OK with you ...

My mask is slipping
my feet are tripping
my mood is tipping
to the other side.

My feelings slide
on an outgoing tide
I am hurt inside
my demeanour is dipping.

So I adjust my mask
because all I ask
of it is to hide
how I really feel so deep inside.

Spot on! Brilliant! :jumpclap
Took to the context perfectly! :D :hi5 :tyspin

2-ton wrote:
Both poems are very good, and unfortunately, very true.

:tyspin

Post subject: Re: #7 Blue Winds - My Poetry/Drawing Challenge
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:45 pm  (#38) 
GimpChat Member

Hi! I have a new one, it's called "Blue Winds".
It's inspired from the RAP challenge thread, this week's theme is "as the wind blows", so I went with it!
I figured, I want digital art in my compilation and this challenge gives me a theme to work with, so it just makes sense!.

This poem is about feeling empty and bitter, but slowly coming to fruition and freedom. There's lot of context throughout the whole poem but since I'm dealing with excerpts...Yeah I'm going to just put the general gist of it.

The picture is done totally in GIMP, I did record myself drawing it but idk if I'll make a video, if I do I probably won't post it right away. I tried to make it more stylized with sharp edges but it looked terrible, I also was aiming for a more detailed face but somehow simple just looked better so I went with it. I did color everything in blues, I didn't cheat even though it killed me not to just use colorize.
I know the hands and arms look weird, I'm bad at poses and hands, and drawing with a mouse makes it worse. XD

There are 8 verses, I'm putting here, 1, 2, 5, 8

I feel a tug of war inside,
My emotions trying to find a place to abide,
I see and feel that something in me has died,
But I wonder, was I ever really alive?
Yes, I walked around and payed my daily dues,
Sure I was painting a rainbow worth of colors,
But my favorite color group was the blues,
And yes, of course I've been breathing but was it really air,
I can't really tell within all of the despair.
This wind it blows within me,
Swirls the storms inside,
My emotions are more unstable than the moons effect on the tide,
Surly I'm awaking to who I'm supposed to be,
Possibly I'm slowly but surly becoming free.
Though my tears they fall,
Being washed with the rain,
The wind that blew around me ,
No longer symbolizes pain.
But now the peace of mind but freedom I have gained.

Enjoy! :3

Oh God, 10 more days and I'm only half done with my goal!!!
I'm kinda upset with myself, but If I don't come up with 8 sets by the end of the month I'll be somewhat disappointed. :( :(
If I don't get it all done in the month I'll keep going until I get my 8 sets done...hopefully...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:26 am  (#39) 
GimpChat Member

Awesome! You are very creative Moko! And you shouldn't apologise for tackling topics that are less than happy - sometimes they can be the most thought-provoking of all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:00 am  (#40) 
GimpChat Member

Artloader wrote:
Awesome! You are very creative Moko! And you shouldn't apologise for tackling topics that are less than happy - sometimes they can be the most thought-provoking of all.

Well, I'm always seen as the "happy one" when people see most of my drawings and stuff, and after a while it almost feels it's expected of me. So I say I'm sorry a lot if I start doing stuff "not normal for me". :oops: :oops:

I have been quite surprised that anyone likes what I'm doing to be honest, I'm kinda posting waiting for some kinda backlash...Which is weird because everyone on this forum is nice.
Maybe I'm just paranoid. xD

:tyspin :mrgreen: