It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Encounter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:36 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

There is a lot I would add or change if I were to do this again, such as the woman's face would not be a direct side view and I would add a sense of enchantment as the fairy is using his glamour spell to seduce her. I would probably do a lot more too and tidy things up a bit but this is "finished" at least for now. It was painted in Krita.

Edit: It looks horribly dark on the library computer's screen. Does it look OK to everybody else?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Encounter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:37 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Very cool Eris, you are showing great improvement and getting better all the time. Must be the company you keep.... lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:04 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

It's a bit dark on my screen, but still looks good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:37 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Nicely done Erisian :)
Wouldn't know about dark or not but looks ok from here - Never had my monitor callibrated

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:33 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you for your comments. Maybe GC won't hear too much from me in the future, partly because I think we are losing interest in each other and partly because I am migrating to Krita because I don't like the way Gimp development is going or the attitudes of Gimp developers. Thank you all for your support in the past but all good things come to an end.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:16 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Erisian.
Things happen for the best. With the Gimp development thing you can stick with 2.8.X and play around with appimages of the newer versions. I've found personality and psychology are factors in art and art forums.

Some of us have our sensitivity meters on full most of the time. I do art because the so-called 'real world' pisses me off so much. I'm learning that art is a throw away commodity in a world running on fear, desire, armaments, overpopulation and systematic brainwashing to name just a few.

Computers have probably done for visual art what they did for rock and roll - made the 'superstars' redundant. Thats just a personal observation by the way. I'm continually impressed by how little impact anything I say or do has on anybody else. Actually, I wouldn't have it any other way. If you are a 'nobody' at least you cannot be accused of being a deluded control freak :paint

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:15 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Has your decision somehow to do with the "absence" of Anmal from GC?
When in the past you were a "duo" playing with Gimp (and joking on coffee and tea) things were different.
Also, the "wind" has changed quite a lot about gimpers' preferences on posts content, I'm sure you have noticed it too.
Enjoy Krita community (BTW is there one? I do not know anything about Krita, except for reading it mentioned from time to time by the Gimp artists).
I'm convinced there will be people here around missing you (as well as your spouse).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:40 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I, for one will miss you Erisian. I learned a lot from your tutorials and discussions with other Gimpers in the forum. AnMal will greatly be missed if she decides not to participate. She was very helpful to me when I first joined GC. I must agree with Dinasset, things are changing. I have noticed it since GnuTux left us. Some of our other long time regulars are no longer here or engaging much for a variety of reasons. If you think something is missing, please stay and help the others find it again, or something new for that matter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:42 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Nice artwork. You always put in some meaningful contributions, so I don't know why you'd want to not stick around for any reason, you always seem helpful and respectful.. and i believe respected by others. Good luck mate.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:07 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian, I'm sorry that to learn you leave us. I noticed that you no longer participated as much as you used to. You know that this is your forum of friends and that it always will be. Good luck my friend. Greetings to AnMal, too. :(

Gimp 2.10.30(samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:28 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Wow, thanks everyone. I will be looking in from time to time and I may find reason to join in but I won't be so regular anymore. The feel of GC is different these days but on its own it would not put me off. AnMal is at present working on one of her awesome Gimp collages and will hopefully post it here. I'll give her a nudge. My personal decision will not affect her presence here.

@Tas_mania - I'm totally with you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:36 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

dinasset wrote:
Enjoy Krita community (BTW is there one? I do not know anything about Krita, except for reading it mentioned from time to time by the Gimp artists).

KDE forums are host to Krita community. It's nowhere near as big as the Gimp community but I may join in future. I believe Griatch posts there sometimes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:41 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian: i love that painting, as you know. i think gimp chat will miss you and your contributions more than you expect, but i understand that you now need a different type of feedback now to really develop your painting.

everyone: i think most web forums move very fast and change focus and active crowds fairly often. i can't be as active as i have been (real life takes too much of my time and energy these days), but i see no reason to leave the forum because of that - you'll just have to put up with me, i'm afraid :hehe .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:02 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Anmal, it is good to hear you say that you will hang around as much as possible. And I hope Erisian will pop in and show off some of his art as he progresses with Krita.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:08 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Hey Erisian :) nice work here dude! The image does not appear to dark for me. Having dark areas then gives you the scope to draw attention to any light areas you want to put in e.g. like you have done with the fairy's eyes.

I also like the subtle way you've added the light from the fairy's hand onto the side of the woman's neck.

Hope you pop in from time to time dude :).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:56 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Artloader wrote:
Hey Erisian :) nice work here dude! The image does not appear to dark for me. Having dark areas then gives you the scope to draw attention to any light areas you want to put in e.g. like you have done with the fairy's eyes.

I also like the subtle way you've added the light from the fairy's hand onto the side of the woman's neck.

Hope you pop in from time to time dude :).

Thank you. :tyspin I thought I wouldn't be so regular here but I keep finding reasons to post. Life is interesting and uncertain :cool

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

@Erisian: The best face study I've seen from you so far! I really like the lively skin tones (a touch of red to break off the greenish hues and how you have made the face's shadows blend into the green of the image; it makes them fit together very well and produces a integrated composition. I have, for once, no real points of critique/feedback to give on this one. Well done.

As for Gimp/Krita, I've not really used Gimp for artistic work for many years since the Gimp devs made it clear this was not the (main) goal of the program going forwards. MyPaint is a better program for quick, fun painting and Krita is a better program for full artistic workflows (it's after all Krita's specified goal). That still doesn't stop me from visiting GimpChat and posting an image now and then though: Krita's KDE-based official forums are frankly quite terrible since they are not meant for art to begin with (you have to resize your images manually before you can add them to a post? Really?). The Gimp community in general and GimpChat in particular is still going strong even though the focus is, as always, more towards photo manipulation and filters than on painting.
Griatch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:04 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Griatch. I think Krita has encouraged me to play more with colour. The different brushes are a lot of fun and encourage play. I am hanging around here but I am checking out different sites like Crimson Daggers and DeviantArt. I'll explore them a bit before joining. One thing I love about Gimp Chat is that it is as much about community spirit as it is about the software. You don't see that much on the net these days.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:15 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
One thing I love about Gimp Chat is that it is as much about community spirit as it is about the software.

I agree with that Erisian. I know many members have English as another language and I respect them for that.

I would like to wish my Scandinavian friends a happy shortest day and a happy Christmas-New Year.
Down here in Tasmania it always gets hotter after the longest day and sometimes we have bush fires.
It's so different to what you people must be experiencing right now.
We are at 41 degrees South and climate change is noticeable for me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:49 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Tas_mania wrote:
I would like to wish my Scandinavian friends a happy shortest day and a happy Christmas-New Year.
Down here in Tasmania it always gets hotter after the longest day and sometimes we have bush fires.
It's so different to what you people must be experiencing right now.
We are at 41 degrees South and climate change is noticeable for me.

Thanks. Happy Christmas to you too. We've had a lot of snow but that has melted and it is now very cold and wet. I'm off to work soon - just cleaning up for Christmas - then tomorrow we are having a Christmas lunch, then I'm on holiday for a couple of weeks. :yes :jumpclap