It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is the name of this effect?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:38 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I am trying to find the name of this effect. I know i did this years ago with a Google Chrome plug-in
but i would much rather do it in GIMP than an app that i font really feel safe with.

Attachments:
File comment: George Washington Bridge
highres_37034882.jpg
highres_37034882.jpg [ 219.45 KiB | Viewed 8638 times ]

(LeftyLeo/James)
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: What is the name of this effect?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:48 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

It's called "Focus Blur". You can find it in Filters > Blur > Focus Blur. Adjust as needed.

Attachment:
focus-blur.jpg
focus-blur.jpg [ 372.93 KiB | Viewed 8643 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:53 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Racer-X : thank you .. but I dont have Filters > Blur > Focus Blur
I even looked in distort even though it should be in blur

I will have to search again and see if i can find that Chrome plug in to get the name they used
Last time i looked i could not find it. Watch it pop right up now .. lol

(LeftyLeo/James)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:59 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

You have an older version of Gimp, I'm running Gimp 2.10.24 and Focus Blur is included. You can also use G'mic "Blur [Depth Of Field]" if you want.

Attachment:
blur2.jpg
blur2.jpg [ 272.52 KiB | Viewed 8637 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:48 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

That works for me ; G'mic "Blur [Depth Of Field]" - I have G'mic-Qt
Now i can experiment more
Thank you for your help

Wow ! OK its called Tilt-Shift
Racer-X broke my jinx in searching for it :)

even found a Video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfEQuzPNqyc

(LeftyLeo/James)

Last edited by leftyleo on Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:00 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

There's always the manual way, which is what I usually do for these things. Duplicate image layer and apply bur as desired, then use a mask to blur what you want. You can also use a gradient to get the progressive blur.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:05 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

leftyleo wrote:
Thank you for your help

even found a Video :

Don't strike it -> It is called Tilt-Shift (effect)! :bigthup

It come from a special lens which can tilt and shift like the canon TS E 24mm
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... 5L_II.html

Those lenses were used primarily for architecture to not have deformation and to be able to control perspectives.
Then as a subsidiary consequence, widely open (f/3.5 for example), selecting the focus and the blur, thus playing with it to give a miniature effect ;) a lot of people who are not into photography, just call it "miniature effect" surely not being aware of a tilt and shift lens.

To reproduce that effect, it's quite easy even if you don't have GIMP 2.10 (I suggest a gradient black to white (or vice versa) as Racer-X suggest)
> duplicate your image > blur the one on top > put a white mask > gradient to the lower part > duplicate this one again (with its mask) and put a gradient on the upper part on the mask
done
Depending your picture you can do it vertically as well (for example a road in town which goes up from the bottom to the top)

As for the focus blur in GIMP 2.10, there are options like horizontal and vertical, which does a nice work as tilt-shift, and you can also chose the "Blur Type"

Last edited by PixLab on Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:17 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

It is a blur but a specific style called tilt-shift see: https://librearts.org/2011/11/toy-plug- ... ift-fakes/

This in my linux gimp appimage:

Attachment:
toy01.jpg
toy01.jpg [ 123.63 KiB | Viewed 8553 times ]

Attachment:
toy02.jpg
toy02.jpg [ 126.71 KiB | Viewed 8553 times ]

Attached my 64 bit linux plugin and pulled from archive, samj's versions (32 / 64 bit) for Windows ( not tried those)

Attachments:
plugin-toy.zip [107.66 KiB]
Downloaded 195 times

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:59 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

PixLab wrote:
leftyleo wrote:
Thank you for your help

even found a Video :

Don't strike it -> It is called Tilt-Shift (effect)! :bigthup

It come from a special lens which can tilt and shift like the canon TS E 24mm
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... 5L_II.html
[ Image ]

Those lenses were used primarily for architecture to not have deformation and to be able to control perspectives.
Then as a subsidiary consequence, widely open (f/3.5 for example), selecting the focus and the blur, thus playing with it to give a miniature effect ;) a lot of people who are not into photography, just call it "miniature effect" surely not being aware of a tilt and shift lens.

To reproduce that effect, it's quite easy even if you don't have GIMP 2.10 (I suggest a gradient black to white (or vice versa) as Racer-X suggest)
> duplicate your image > blur the one on top > put a white mask > gradient to the lower part > duplicate this one again (with its mask) and put a gradient on the upper part on the mask
done
Depending your picture you can do it vertically as well (for example a road in town which goes up from the bottom to the top)

As for the focus blur in GIMP 2.10, there are options like horizontal and vertical, which does a nice work as tilt-shift, and you can also chose the "Blur Type"
[ Image ]

---
I was wondering what that actual lens would look like
( I 'un-struck' those lines from the original post :) )

Racer-x directed me to Gmic since my version doesnt have lens blur - that worked well.

The image i posted, if i remember correctly, was auto generated from an old chrome app/extension
Of course it would be better having more control over the process. The youtube uses brightness/saturation and gaussian blur at different opacities in different areas. Interesting.

Lots of experimenting to try
Thank you

(LeftyLeo/James)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:06 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

@ Rich2005 : I will try the plug-in,.perhaps tomorrow , it's a bit late here to go down the rabbit hole tonight

To all: I think i have to change over to the AppImage and not the installed version from the repo so that i am
up to date. --and have lens-blur. It will probably correct issues with some of the other plugins / scripts as well

thanks to everyone for the help

(LeftyLeo/James)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:19 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I generally prefer to do it manually using masks.

Attachment:
Charger.gif
Charger.gif [ 287.48 KiB | Viewed 5008 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:28 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

leftyleo wrote:
@ Rich2005 : I will try the plug-in,.perhaps tomorrow , it's a bit late here to go down the rabbit hole tonight

To all: I think i have to change over to the AppImage and not the installed version from the repo so that i am
up to date. --and have lens-blur. It will probably correct issues with some of the other plugins / scripts as well

Many solutions to upgrade your GIMP :yes

1) The appimage (no installation needed, and you can keep your old GIMP)
Download > https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-ap ... 4.AppImage from aferrero https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-ap ... continuous

Once downloaded, First thing to do is right click on the appimage > Properties > a window opens > Select the tab "Permissions" and check "Allow executing file as a program" > OK now you can use it ;)

If you don't like it, just throw it in the trash can, done.

2) Or you can add a PPA
open terminal and add this PPA (next GIMP update will show up as well in the future via your software updater), don't forget that terminal (for security purpose) do NOT give feedback when typing your password (no asterisk) ;)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/gimp
sudo apt-get update

then upgrade GIMP it via Software Updater (or Update Manager or whatever they call it on Linux Mint).
It should be automatic, the software updater should pop up in the next few seconds or minutes after you entered "sudo apt-get update", if not, just open your software updater -> it will be there.

The appimage and the gimp from repository can both be both on your distro without interfering, Will not work at the same time, tough, but once you closed one you can open the other one
If you try to open the second GIMP while one is open, your system will just put the one which is already opened in focus, that's all ;)

If you're not happy with new PPA
To restore GIMP to the stock version in main repository, run command to purge the PPA:
sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/gimp

Then your software updater will propose you to "update" ( :hehe ) to your lower previous version

leftyleo wrote:
The youtube uses brightness/saturation

Indeed, you do need to increase at least the saturation to get an increased "miniature" effect after the tilt-shift or it will look "flat" (don't be shy pushing the slider) ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:18 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

racer-x wrote:
I generally prefer to do it manually using masks.

Attachment:
Charger.gif

That looks kool. I keep trying to use layer masks, not always because it might be better, but they
mix me up - so the more i use them - hopefully it will click

(LeftyLeo/James)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:03 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

PixLab wrote:
leftyleo wrote:

Many solutions to upgrade your GIMP :yes

1) The appimage (no installation needed, and you can keep your old GIMP)
Download > https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-ap ... 4.AppImage from aferrero https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-ap ... continuous

Once downloaded, First thing to do is right click on the appimage > Properties > a window opens > Select the tab "Permissions" and check "Allow executing file as a program" > OK now you can use it ;)

[ Image ]
If you don't like it, just throw it in the trash can, done.

2) Or you can add a PPA
open terminal and add this PPA (next GIMP update will show up as well in the future via your software updater), don't forget that terminal (for security purpose) do NOT give feedback when typing your password (no asterisk) ;)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/gimp
sudo apt-get update

then upgrade GIMP it via Software Updater (or Update Manager or whatever they call it on Linux Mint).
It should be automatic, the software updater should pop up in the next few seconds or minutes after you entered "sudo apt-get update", if not, just open your software updater -> it will be there.

The appimage and the gimp from repository can both be both on your distro without interfering, Will not work at the same time, tough, but once you closed one you can open the other one
If you try to open the second GIMP while one is open, your system will just put the one which is already opened in focus, that's all ;)

If you're not happy with new PPA
To restore GIMP to the stock version in main repository, run command to purge the PPA:
sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/gimp

Then your software updater will propose you to "update" ( :hehe ) to your lower previous version

leftyleo wrote:
The youtube uses brightness/saturation

Indeed, you do need to increase at least the saturation to get an increased "miniature" effect after the tilt-shift or it will look "flat" (don't be shy pushing the slider) ;)

---
PixLab / Patrice
I think i might stick to the AppImage. The mint repo is behind, and otto's ppa is behind. How up to date is this one ? or is the AppImage fine . I have the AppImage working on another laptop and on the first run it asks to integrate with your system (basically to be the default) - and it seems to work fine there.

Which do you think is best? i can try on the 'test' laptop first (lol) ..
thank you for your help

(LeftyLeo/James)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:09 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

leftyleo wrote:
PixLab / Patrice
I think i might stick to the AppImage. The mint repo is behind, and otto's ppa is behind. How up to date is this one ? or is the AppImage fine . I have the AppImage working on another laptop and on the first run it asks to integrate with your system (basically to be the default) - and it seems to work fine there.

Which do you think is best? i can try on the 'test' laptop first (lol) ..
thank you for your help

otto's PPA is dead for a while now > https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulas ... buntu/gimp
Quote:
Hi,
for personal reasons my PPA activities are dropped for the time being.
Sorry
Thorsten

The appimage from aferrero seems to be on the same path as he did not do anything from June 11 (June 10 for the GIMP's appimage) :cry
The continuous release stopped, and the stable is a previous version og GIMP > 2.10.22 and the dev GIMP is still at 2.99.3 when the actual version is at 2.99.6
https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-ap ... continuous and no one has any news (to my knowledge)
Yes the appimage is awesome, if you don't plan to update/upgrade (as it seems to be at a stop), continue to use it :bigthup

On the other hand the PPA from ubuntuhandbook seems to be the most reliable for future updates (you do need to remove otto's ppa if you use this one)
I'm using this PPA from 2.10.20, it upgraded automatically to 2.10.22 then 2.10.24 few days before GIMP put links on their website.
> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntuhandbook1/ ... buntu/gimp

In the end, it's all about perspectives, your call, if you like your appimage, just stick with it, it's an awesome app :bigthup
Personally I'm a bit on the edge, so don't follow me if you like stability :hehe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:42 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

I would love to use the PPA - only minor snag might be that i am on Mint 19.3 - which is Ubuntu based and so close. but i think i am going to make a copy of my .config/GIMP/ before adding the PPA and then giving it a shot :)

Thank you

(LeftyLeo/James)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:51 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

I was watching a tutorial on bump maps .. and made a mistake - but i liked it and tried it on the tilt-shifted image
[ bump map itself , basically ]

GIMP drops we down another rabbit hole .. lol

Attachments:
highres_37034882_bmap.jpg
highres_37034882_bmap.jpg [ 347.46 KiB | Viewed 4869 times ]

(LeftyLeo/James)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:54 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

oh -- here was the original error that led to the bump-mapped bridge above (just wanted to show you)
but now we are off-topic again :lol I.m sure bump maps is another forum area

Attachments:
PrairieDog.jpg
PrairieDog.jpg [ 52.56 KiB | Viewed 4868 times ]
PrairieDog_BumpMap.jpg
PrairieDog_BumpMap.jpg [ 116.23 KiB | Viewed 4868 times ]

(LeftyLeo/James)