It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Krita for Windows
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:47 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I had a look through some earlier posts and although Krita has been sometimes mentioned, not much on installation.

I use a rolling release linux (PClinuxOS) and I am generally up-to-date, Krita 2.7.5
I always thought that windows users were missing out. Here we are, up-to-date versions of Krita (2.8 beta) for M$ Windows.

http://krita.org/download which also takes you here
http://kritastudio.com/desktop.html

versions for 32 bit / 64 bit / WinXP

Very-very brief try-out (I was doing a bit of digging for someone else) in a Win7 64 bit VM so I do not know how good is tablet support.

Worth a try for those interested in drawing, also 8/16 bit RGB/CMYK support for the occasional photograph.

a bit of a scribble looks like this

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Krita for Windows
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:10 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

It might be worth another try now they have improved it. I couldn't use the first Windows release at all!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:31 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Oh glee! A new toy to play with, lets see if I like it or not. :D

:tyspin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:04 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I'm very very impressed. This is the only digital painting tool (apart from Gimp) that I can actually use.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:17 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

Did you not have any luck with MyPaint Eris? I have Krita and haven't tried to figure it out but I know Griatch uses it a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:20 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
Did you not have any luck with MyPaint Eris? I have Krita and haven't tried to figure it out but I know Griatch uses it a lot.

I found MyPaint difficult because the paint doesn't stay within the limits of the brush and I can't paint like that. With Krita, like Gimp, you know where the boundaries of your paint will be.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:25 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
I found MyPaint difficult because the paint doesn't stay within the limits of the brush

I don't quite know what this means. :) For normal brushes, Mypaint certainly keeps inside the brush outline. For wide scatter brushes, Krita nor GIMP does this (and they shouldn't). Maybe you are not using it with a tablet - MyPaint is poorer optimized for mouse than the other offerings.

But generally, MyPaint is considerably easier to use than Krita. Don't get me wrong, I like Krita too - the two programs have very different goals. But when I hear someone saying Krita is easier than MyPaint there must be some misconception somewhere.
Griatch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:30 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Griatch wrote:
MyPaint is considerably easier to use than Krita. Don't get me wrong, I like Krita too - the two programs have very different goals. But when I hear someone saying Krita is easier than MyPaint there must be some misconception somewhere.

There's no minsconception - I find Krita a lot easier for the stated reason - my experience obviously differs from yours.

A mypaint image testing various brushes, in each case the brush cursor is on the line but the paint is well outside the line. I couldn't screengrab the cursor sadly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:04 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

@Erisian

There is not really any argument that MyPaint is a simpler program than Krita. It simply does a lot less than Krita does. MyPaint paints, that's it. Krita is more like GIMP but with a focus towards painting (and vector, and filters and ...)

Anyway, your impression is interesting. There are certainly particular MyPaint brushes that scale dramatically with pressure, but most don't. There are hundreds of brushes to pick in MyPaint; if you don't like the behavior or precision of some of them, maybe seek out some that fit your style of work better?

Or are you saying the brush center is off? That would be either a bug in your MyPaint version or a misconfiguration maybe?
Griatch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:08 pm  (#10) 
Global Moderator

Maybe it is all to do with the brush sizing Aris. I use a very small brush when I want to get near the edge and increase it to paint inside. Other than that, works good for me.
If I want to paint something small like the inside of an eye, I increase canvas then reduce the size of the brush a lot.
If Krita works well for you, by all means stick to works best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:21 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I understand what Erisian is saying, when the circle that shows the brush size is double the size of the mark it makes, that could be for me though, because I have to use a mouse.

I tried krita for a few minutes but it seems a bit hard (plus my mouse doesn't wanna work right), I'll try again later.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:22 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Griatch wrote:
@Erisian

There is not really any argument that MyPaint is a simpler program than Krita. It simply does a lot less than Krita does. MyPaint paints, that's it. Krita is more like GIMP but with a focus towards painting (and vector, and filters and ...)

Anyway, your impression is interesting. There are certainly particular MyPaint brushes that scale dramatically with pressure, but most don't. There are hundreds of brushes to pick in MyPaint; if you don't like the behavior or precision of some of them, maybe seek out some that fit your style of work better?

[ Image ]

Or are you saying the brush center is off? That would be either a bug in your MyPaint version or a misconfiguration maybe?
Griatch

I see what you mean. If you include all the Krita tools, Mypaint is easier but I was just thinking from the perspective of painting. I have two tools I can use for painting now and I think that is enough for me. I can't get on with Mypaint.

molly wrote:
Maybe it is all to do with the brush sizing

The brush sizing increases the effect. If you use really thin brushes it's not noticeable but then how do you cover large areas easily? I'll stick to Gimp and Krita - I don't need anything else.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:45 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
I'll stick to Gimp and Krita - I don't need anything else.

Ok, fair enough. :)
Griatch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:54 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Griatch wrote:
Quote:
I'll stick to Gimp and Krita - I don't need anything else.

Ok, fair enough. :)
Griatch

Actually, while it's on my computer I might fiddle a bit when I'm doing nothing serious. If I can change the settings maybe I can make it work for me and produce my own brushes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:05 pm  (#15) 
Global Moderator

Love your Robert Wilson quote Eris... sooo true. good luck with your Krita and show us your first masterpiece.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:53 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
Love your Robert Wilson quote Eris... sooo true. good luck with your Krita and show us your first masterpiece.

Thank you Molly, I will. :)

Post subject: ~
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:25 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

~

Last edited by Zeo on Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:39 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Today has been released Krita 2.8.0 (stable) (G'mic inside)

(read more)

My Gimp rides on Antergos (Arch), Linux Mint, Debian and Fedora

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:01 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

Krita with G'MIC - WOW!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:06 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Yep Krita has G'mic support now. unfortunately latest version has no preview for G'mic so unless you know the settings you want its a shot in the dark.

The only real downside of Krita to me is the lack of navigational window.
I like to work in hi res and when zoomed in Krita's preview window which to me lacks funtionality, gimps and mypaints navigation window is better for workflow and serves a useful function.

Plus the lasso tool in gimp is one of the best I've used allowing not just tracing around sections but also placing on nodes seamlessly genius.

Krita does allow painting of selections which is a nice feature :) wish they would include a selection eraser tool similar to firealpaca and AzDrawing would help alot in shaping smooth selections.

I color alot using selections and gradients so such features are important to me.

Anyways Krita is a wonderful program and its great having 16bit and cmyk capability in OpenSource software.

LOL for those interested heres some quick color themes I whipped together for Krita users if interested enjoy.
krita pink and blue themes

Last edited by Heroik on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.