It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: For Font Freaks Only
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:14 pm  (#1) 
Global Moderator

Found this at Microsoft's Typography site. If your a font freak and run Windows you'll have a new toy for your toolbox.

Microsoft Font Validator
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/FontValidator.mspx

FYI, first test on one or two fonts, not a folder. Each font report is very detailed. Another thing to note, this tool was originally for developers and validates to Microsoft guidelines.

Another way to test for borderline installed fonts; if you have Scribus check if a font shows in it's menu. Scribus automatically rejects bad fonts. I wonder if Gimp does the same?

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: For Font Freaks Only
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:20 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Now all we need is a boring fonts remover to get rid of all those Arial and Times New Roman lookalikes. An Italic and Bold fonts remover would be handy too as most software that uses text has bold and italic functions.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:19 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

Erisian wrote:
Now all we need is a boring fonts remover to get rid of all those Arial and Times New Roman lookalikes. An Italic and Bold fonts remover would be handy too as most software that uses text has bold and italic functions.
I suspect said software just use the installed bold/italic font in that case. Algorithmically designed bold and italic characters usually don't cut it.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:22 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
Erisian wrote:
I suspect said software just use the installed bold/italic font in that case. Algorithmically designed bold and italic characters usually don't cut it.

Probably more noticeable with large scale text than with straight typing then.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:16 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I've got 5000+ fonts and a few bad ones that crash my printer's Apprentice, this should be a big help. Thanks. PS: I hate boring fonts too, I especially hate those sites with lists of "25 beautiful fonts that are a must have" and every single one is as boring as a bowl of oatmeal.

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.