It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Delaboratory - Mac Version
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:22 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hi All,

You recently saw Jacek's announcement that delaboratory 0.7.4 is now available. This is to be last beta before version 0.8. We also have a Mac version available and I am hoping the Mac folks here would be willing to give it a spin and provide us feedback?

Here is the link:

http://code.google.com/p/delaboratory/d ... p&can=2&q=

It's a 64-bit app that will work on Snow-Leopard or better.

Thanks!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Delaboratory - Mac Version
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:07 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

what does delaboratory do?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:17 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I grabbed a copy of it. It installed just fine. Interface wise, it goes beyond my screen. For the life of me, I can't read what the name of that button is on the bottom right of the screen.

As for the program, will have to play around with it. I've not worked with print images or color values for that matter. Is a bit beyond my grade of noobishness but, hey, I like sliding sliders and watching the purty colors. I'll let you know if I break anything.

So far only thing is the size of the screen is too large for my laptop. My Resolution is 1366 x 768, that about as far as I can go with this hacky mac-y.

ww

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:39 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

2-ton wrote:
what does delaboratory do?

2-ton,

Delaboratory is a high-bit processing color correction utility. It addresses a big limitation currently in Gimp which is the ability to perform color corrections without worrying about "banding" and loss of precision due to low bit-depth of image processing.

You can make corrections in different colors spaces other than the standard RGB such as CMYK, LAB etc. You can do a huge number of changes in "auto" mode or minute changes using "expert" mode.

You can get more details at the website: http://code.google.com/p/delaboratory/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:41 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

WW wrote:
I grabbed a copy of it. It installed just fine. Interface wise, it goes beyond my screen. For the life of me, I can't read what the name of that button is on the bottom right of the screen.

As for the program, will have to play around with it. I've not worked with print images or color values for that matter. Is a bit beyond my grade of noobishness but, hey, I like sliding sliders and watching the purty colors. I'll let you know if I break anything.

So far only thing is the size of the screen is too large for my laptop. My Resolution is 1366 x 768, that about as far as I can go with this hacky mac-y.

ww

WW,

the current resolution is set at 1440x800. Are you able to move the screen at all? We'll have to figure out reading the resolution straight from the user's machine.

Thanks for the feedback!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:26 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I can't move it at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:37 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

WW wrote:
I can't move it at all.

OK Thanks! I will work on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:34 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

That is really odd because my res is set to 1440x900 and Delab opens like this for me.

One cool trick with windows is to right click the top frame of the window of Delab and select MOVE.
You will see a move icon.
Now use the left right arrow keys to move the window. If its full size you can right click the top frame and select restore.Left click the mouse again to release the move icon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:41 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

@ rod..Ya...I've tried everything I knew. I was hoping changing my resolutions would have given me some handles. The Max, min and restore widgets are cut off by the resolution issue. I can't even see them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:22 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Rod delaboratory uses wxWidgets which looks different on each platform. On Linux it's gtk+, on Windows it is WinAPI and on Mac it is something else, that's why sizes are different. We need to resolve the resolution issue but I am not aware how GUI on Mac works, on Linux the window is maximized by default to avoid such problems.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:10 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

WW wrote:
@ rod..Ya...I've tried everything I knew. I was hoping changing my resolutions would have given me some handles. The Max, min and restore widgets are cut off by the resolution issue. I can't even see them.

I don't know how to fix this yet. Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:35 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

WW,

Can you try this version out and let me know how it works out?

http://www.partha.com/temp/delaboratory ... 4-test.zip

Thanks,
Partha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:07 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Hey I see the whole GUI now! I see the xlose and minimize and restore widgets and the "Delete Top Layer" button!

I was able to switch between the starting size of GUI Window, which was a tight compact size, to the screen filling size without any problems. Great going!

Once I did add a picture, I was unable to shrink it back. However, I just drag the corner of the window and manually shrunk it down. After this, I was able to once again toggle between the smaller size and the screen filling size. Is nice to see everything again.

Now I just need to do is figure out what to do with program. :)

Once great great going, thumbs up on how quickly you able to iron out the problem.

WW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:31 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

All right!! I am glad it worked out. Remember it's a color correction program. So great for portraits when you want to get just the right skin tones. Also, you can of course use it as RAW editor.

You can check Jacek's site for some tutorials and pointers as well.

Let me know if you have any issues or if you run into any snags!

Thanks again!! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:52 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

For a good start:
1) open image
2) click "CMYK levels"
3) try autolevels, set opacity to desired size, if you don't like the effect at all click "delete top layer"
4) click "LAB vignette"
5) set vignette with sliders or by clicking on image
6) click "LAB local contrast"
7) set radius and opacity for best effect
8) export image, or better all layers to images
9) watch exported images by your image viewer and open best one in Gimp then do crop, clone tool, etc
10) save final JPG in Gimp and publish your image :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:54 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

@jacek....I tried all that... oh my the options! I kept looking for "LAB vignette" didn't see it...then course noticed the other 3 tabs. They didn't immediately jump out at me.

Only issue I had was toward the end...I did export out as layers but then I presented with my finder window. Didn't have an option on the window to create a new folder to store the layers. So I canceled out of the operation and the program hung up. At first glance it "hung up" but I suppose it was acting like it was trying to write somewhere. I couldn't find the images after it was done. Anyway, I made folder and saved.

So looks like a pretty good deal here.. Powerful. It had great response from the sliders and curves. I'll have to explore this more. The picture/image would distort when I resize the GUI window but it snapped back in quick order once the move was done.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:28 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

When you hit "cancel" on save the application crashed?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:59 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

No....poor choice of words. It was doing something, my hard drive kept spinning and spinning like it was working on something. It eventually finished after a few minutes of time. It never crashed.

ww

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:22 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

WW wrote:
No....poor choice of words. It was doing something, my hard drive kept spinning and spinning like it was working on something. It eventually finished after a few minutes of time. It never crashed.

ww

WW,

You said you could not find the image you saved. Did you check the system.log to see if it mentions anything?

Thanks,
Partha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:59 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

@Partha....I just ran it again. I watched it closer now. When I cancel the export, the GUI window for export stays open and looks to run. I see status bar progress and I see the layers increment until its done.

Here is copy of all "delab" from my system.log...

Fyi...I ran the test at exactly 11:44...the log doesn't show any activity at that time.

Jul 22 11:41:16 USER-MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x31031].com.partha..[1186]: Appdir is /Applications/delaboratory.app
Jul 22 11:41:16 USER-MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x31031].com.partha..[1186]: Hello - About to run Delaboratory - Standby
Jul 22 11:41:16 USER-MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x31031].com.partha..[1186]: CWD is /tmp/pb/delaboratory.app/Contents/MacOS
Jul 22 11:41:16 USER-MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x31031].com.partha..[1186]: pwd is /Users/wrong *edit..this part of my user name*
Jul 22 11:41:16 USER-MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x31031].com.partha..[1186]: Strip out the argument added by the OS...
Jul 22 11:41:21 USER-MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x31031].com.partha..[1186]: 07:41:21 PM: Debug: wxMacLaunch Bad bundle: dcraw
Jul 22 11:41:21 USER-MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x31031].com.partha..[1186]: ERROR can't copy static image w: 0
Jul 22 11:41:21: --- last message repeated 2 times ---
Jul 22 11:41:21 USER-MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x31031].com.partha..[1186]: ERROR image is empty
Jul 22 11:41:21 USER-MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x31031].com.partha..[1186]: ERROR can't generate histogram - n: 0
Jul 22 11:41:21 USER-MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x31031].com.partha..[1186]: ERROR image is empty
Jul 22 11:41:21 USER-MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x31031].com.partha..[1186]: ERROR can't generate histogram - n: 0