It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blue Holiday Animation
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:36 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I used Inkscape, Synfig Studio, and GAP to develop this little animation:

In my previous animation posted here showing an animated path gradient made in Synfig, I was reminded in that thread by K1TesseraEna about tools to convert files made in Gimp and Inkscape into Synfig .sif files. I was just randomly making some simple shapes in Inkscape; a square with rounded corners and a partial ellipse. After tilting the square and moving the partial ellipse over it, I noticed it looked sort of like a face. So I finished the "face" and then added a little festive hat. The original square with rounded corners was blue, hence the title of this piece: Blue Holiday Animation.

The animated paths which comprise the moving hat and the singing mouth would be very time consuming to accomplish with Gimp and GAP. That is because automated animating of vector Paths in Gimp is not possible at this time. It would require manually manipulating a path a frame at a time. So, while it would be possible, it would also be time intensive, since it is multiple paths being manipulated for this animation.

Thank you for checking it out.

:)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Blue Holiday Animation
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:17 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

:coolthup That is the cutest little guy. I love the way the hat and the mouth flop around as they are moving. Ccbarr, your work never ceases to amaze me. It is fantastic. :tyspin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:34 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you for another wonderful animation, ccbarr! And Happy Holidays to you too!
I think I can hear him singing!
This is the first animation I've ever seen made with Inkscape, GIMP and Synfig. All three tools are great.
Quite an inspiration for me, personally. Although I have recently deviated to mastering Blender (and it's still a thousand miles to go),
your recent animations got me thinking of Synfig as a tool I must get my hands on.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:05 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

molly:

Thanks for the kind reply. Always appreciated.

K1TesseraEna:

Thank you. Blender is neat as well. I've also used Blender for animating. Here is one I had posted over at gimptalk a few years ago:

It looks complex, but it's just a cylinder going up and down and changing color as it does combined with the triangle spinning about. Combining learning to make basic shapes along with learning to use Blender's IPO Curve Editor can allow one to make an infinite number of animations. I do not have a mastery of Blender, but one can start out learning simple things and make neat and creative things just with those.

Here is one more made just with knowledge of making simple objects and using the IPO Curve Editor in Blender:

The cage came from a PNG image made in Gimp with vertical and horizontal criss-crossing lines. The image was then applied to a Blender sphere resulting in the cage. The various animations were all tweaked in the IPO Curve Editor.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:13 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I find it amazing that you can make the cage and words go 'behind' the spinning globe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:41 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Really nice animations.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:32 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Founder

You've done it again, ccbarr. Another cool animation. It reminds me a little of a blue Grinch.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:38 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

really nice ccbarr
I would like to see more of your GAP tutorials