It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Artistx DVD
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:21 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Artistx
ArtistX is a free DVD which turns a computer into a full multimedia production studio

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Artistx DVD
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:24 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

That is pretty wild.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:38 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Nothing easier than that.
Load the free VMWARE player.
Load the ArtistX DVD
Create a virtual machine with VMWare player and install the ArtistX DVD in it.
Run virtual machine.
Make VMWare full screen - voila.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:46 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Yes. VMWare player is, as almost any virtualizing software, free for non-commercial use.
It virtualizes your PC. So you have a complete new PC in the player. But this PC is empty.
What you need is a license for an operating system and install it in the virtualized
environment. So for Windows, you have to pay money, but Linux is open source, so you can
use it for free.
I have a win7 64 bit computer with lots of RAM and have Mint 32 and 64, Debian 6, Windows 8,
Windows Vista 32 and 64 as virtual machines. They are not running at the same time, oh no,
but e.g. with the Vista machines I compile gimp for windows. I failed with linux...

So you can load the Artistix DVD, its based on linux, and create a new virtual machine, install it
and run it. VMWare has a mode, called Unity, where the background of VMware disappears so it looks,
like the running program was startet from your local computer. I don't use this mode.

Alternatively, you can use virtualisation software like "VirtualBox" or "VirtualPC" or whatever.

Attachments:
Bild_001.jpg
Bild_001.jpg [ 452.55 KiB | Viewed 1462 times ]