It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some Character Design Sketches
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:54 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Eyyyyyy! I have some sketches, haven't had a way to post them until I got to use my mother's camera since mine has a bad battery. Okay so, I'm working on trying to develop some African characters, why I'm not exactly sure but I think it's going to lead to something in the end so for now that's all I'll say.

I'm not fully sure of color meanings as of yet for Africa so if the colors mean something odd I didn't mean it that way!

I was working hard to capture the African feel whiles not "over exaggerating" the features, I don't have a fully perminant character yet but I'm going to need more sketches in the time to come.

___

First I'll do a random sketch of a semi futuristic female, she was slightly inspired by Griatch's girl who's got the blue glowing highlights although she doesn't look much like her at all.

Here is the sketch that started my African character "craze", it was a totally random drawing but I liked the style, she seemed quite lovely and exotic to me so I decided to try and make an actual character, to be honest I like her best out of all of the "young" characters you will see.

So here's the full-body sketch of a character and other sketches.

Here's a few more, I personally really like the female character, although her hair is short I think she has an interesting beauty to her.

Here's some sketches and I thought, maybe have a younger character, but in the end I didn't like this one so much.

Now I'm moving in to more colorful illustration-sketches.

This one is a more grandmotherly type character, she's imo obviously older but yet still had a certian beauty about her. I like this character, but attempts to recreate her failed miserably - So bad I wouldn't post it... :lol

Colored with Prismacolor Pencils and Crayola/RoseArt Markers.

Here's some quick painting sketches:

This is totally with a Raphael portable painting set for color (except for Niji branded watercolor in white) and a micron pen for the sketchy outline.

And this is Rapheal paint and crayola markers:

I hope you enjoyed these!

CnC Welcomed.

~ God Bless ~

~ Moko

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Some Character Design Sketches
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:02 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

They are all very good. Love the bright colors.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:34 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

:tyspin :3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:47 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

These are as lovely as always Moko and I love the colours. I once did a charcoal sketch of an African woman and it was the first time I had ventured away from my usual subjects and like you I was being very careful not to exaggerate the features that made her look African. It's the same with age - making somebody look old but realistic isn't easy. Anyway, I gave my sketch to a charity shop and forgot all about it. Many years later I was at a car boot sale and I saw it for sale for £10. I was really pleased with myself and couldn't resist identifying myself to the owner.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:59 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Those are all very nice. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:32 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
These are as lovely as always Moko and I love the colours. I once did a charcoal sketch of an African woman and it was the first time I had ventured away from my usual subjects and like you I was being very careful not to exaggerate the features that made her look African. It's the same with age - making somebody look old but realistic isn't easy. Anyway, I gave my sketch to a charity shop and forgot all about it. Many years later I was at a car boot sale and I saw it for sale for £10. I was really pleased with myself and couldn't resist identifying myself to the owner.

Ooo nice nice! I've never used charcoal, it seemed quiet messy.

:tyspin

@Rod:

:tyspin :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:50 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

mokonafan: oh, these are lovely!! all of them. my favourite is the older woman, you've painted her with such respect and she looks like a person you'd want to meet. and a beautiful woman. i think you're getting better and better with expressions and life in your characters and as usual you do an amazing work on the colours.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:53 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

conbagui wrote:
Hey Moko, nice to see you around again. Very nice sketches, you're very gifted. :)

Holaaa! :3
Nice to see you too! I kinda didn't feel like I had anything to attribute so I just hardly said anything. xD

AnMal wrote:
mokonafan: oh, these are lovely!! all of them. my favourite is the older woman, you've painted her with such respect and she looks like a person you'd want to meet. and a beautiful woman. i think you're getting better and better with expressions and life in your characters and as usual you do an amazing work on the colours.

Ooo thank you! :3

I rather liked the older woman myself! I think the reason that one came out best is because I was watching a movie on the laptop while drawing on paper, I'm the most creative when I have something else creative on with me. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:09 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Nice to see you experimenting with new subject matter, Moko! African dark skin is difficult to get right, it's certainly something I too need to do more of.
You have some nice work here, but I must say my favorite of those is your first "African girl" sketch - she has a quick and natural flow to her that works very well - not to mention that her face is made in a different perspective than your usual face-on portraits. :)

Good job!
Griatch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:53 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I can't create that character! She just doesn't come! >.<

:tyspin :3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:56 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I like #2. It's nice to see you do some different perspectives :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:40 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

merrak wrote:
I like #2. It's nice to see you do some different perspectives :)

I'm used to front or 3/4th view..other angles scare me. :lol