It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Environment Mapped Text Tutorial
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:08 pm  (#161) 
GimpChat Founder

molly wrote:
I still can't find where it says layer to image. I am going to try it again with the original envir-map that came with the pdf.

I checked the Tutorial and the "Layer to Image size" is not part of the tute. Actually, if the tute is followed exactly, it's not needed. I'm not sure why your Bump Map was a different size than your image.

Anyway, you can right click on the Bump Map layer in the layers dialog and you'll see the option Layer to Image Size.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:17 pm  (#162) 
Global Moderator

When I started the tute, I used the default size for my layer, when I did the white layer, I noticed on the tute that it had 800x515 and on the starting layer it had 800x600. So I followed those sizes. That is what happened. I did follow it to a
T.

This is one done with 2-ton4 gradient... thanks Esper.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:49 pm  (#163) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
When I started the tute, I used the default size for my layer, when I did the white layer, I noticed on the tute that it had 800x515 and on the starting layer it had 800x600. So I followed those sizes. That is what happened. I did follow it to a
T.
[ Image ]

This is one done with 2-ton4 gradient... thanks Esper.

[ Image ]

Nice! I'm glad you got everything worked out. :bigthup

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:53 pm  (#164) 
Global Moderator

Thank you Rellik419. I will do a couple more after supper with something else I want to try.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:57 pm  (#165) 
GimpChat Member

Very nice Molly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:29 pm  (#166) 
Global Moderator

thanks he4rty, I will try to give the gold one a little more shine if I can.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:18 pm  (#167) 
Global Moderator

Got started and now can't stop.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:24 pm  (#168) 
GimpChat Member

Addicted Mo? Keep em coming - those are great!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:37 pm  (#169) 
GimpChat Member

Super :bigthup Molly!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:47 pm  (#170) 
Global Moderator

thanks I am happy to have it sorted out. I was relying too much on the measurements of the layers. I don't know why but wasn't there something that you have to do to make something half the size of the original to make it work. I know I saw it in a tute some where, it might have been in one of the curved text tutes.
Thats why it didn't look odd to me that the white layer had a different measurement.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:21 pm  (#171) 
GimpChat Founder

molly wrote:
thanks I am happy to have it sorted out. I was relying too much on the measurements of the layers. I don't know why but wasn't there something that you have to do to make something half the size of the original to make it work. I know I saw it in a tute some where, it might have been in one of the curved text tutes.
Thats why it didn't look odd to me that the white layer had a different measurement.

Looks great, Molly.

Not sure why the first screenshot in the tute shows 800x600 but everything should be the same size. This is assumed in the tutorial's text, which never mentions changing the size of the Bump Map.

Now, the size of the Environment Map you use makes a big difference in the final results. If you are creating a Topographical/Cloud style Environment Map, generated from a gradient with the EnviroMap script, you'll just have to experiment to see what gives you the best results. The EnviroLogo script generates the Environment Map to be the same size as the image you're using, which seems to be a good staring point when using a gradient based Topographical/Cloud type Environment Map.

However, if you are using an image, a gradient or a seamless pattern as your Environment Map, the Map should be at least twice the size of the original image, perhaps larger in some cases.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:45 pm  (#172) 
Global Moderator

O thanks, that is very interesting about having the image twice the size. That script and tute gives such a clean shiny text, I really like it a lot. :tyspin :pengy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:58 pm  (#173) 
GimpChat Founder

Here is a good visualization of what happens when an image is Environment Mapped. In this case, the Environment Map is a blue/black checkerboard pattern. You can see how the Environment Map gets spherically stretched when mapped to an object, in this case, a black 800x600 rectangle.

Environment Map

Image After Mapping To A Black 800x600 Rectangle

This is why you need a large Environment Map when using an image, gradient or pattern fill. It minimizes the spherical stretching that occurs, which results in pixelation if the Environment Map is too small. The distance slider in Lighting Effect Filter affects the amount of spherical stretching that occurs, as well as the amount of light coverage you get.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:10 pm  (#174) 
Global Moderator

thanks, I see what y'all mean.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:22 am  (#175) 

Hello mostly younger dudes and dudettes. I am a 56 yr old Hotrodder/Performance car builder who was looking for a "value" priced program that would allow me "prepaint" vehicles, for fun and profit, before I actually painted them. I would like to thank y'all for your time, you may or may not know it, but you have duplicated the following. Metal Flake, Flip Flop Flake, Pearl, Flip Flop Pearl, Color Chrome. It appears that by changing the settings one could duplicate "Old School" flakes to a fine metallic. Now if I could just figure out what Y'all are saying I might get somewhere;)

Thanks Again For Your Time

BlueMule

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:08 pm  (#176) 
GimpChat Founder

Hi BlueMule,

Welcome to GC. Actually, many of the regulars here are in the 50+ category too, including myself. We just act like kids sometimes. :mrgreen:

You might want to take a look at this thread and this one, which I believe is the kind of thing you are tying to achieve. There are various techniques to recolor an object (or an image of an object). Feel free to create a new thread, or continue with an older one, if you have any questions.

It probably wouldn't be too difficult modify the EnviroLogo script to include the various metal flake paint effects that were created in this thread, once we know which ones were which. :hehe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:11 am  (#177) 
GimpChat Member

Can't stop playing with this effect ... need professional help. :rofl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:18 am  (#178) 
Global Moderator

very nice smooth text mike. addictive huh!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:04 pm  (#179) 
GimpChat Member

mike: well done on that text! i love the colours :luvstruck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:37 am  (#180) 
GimpChat Member

Good tutorial, all went well.
though can't remember what was done afterwards as i saved it, installed the enviromap.scm script and restarted Gimp.

noticed the bumpmap GIMP text "using Century Schoolbook L Bold font" below
Attachment:
GIMP BW orig.JPG
GIMP BW orig.JPG [ 14.22 KiB | Viewed 1516 times ]

was modified as in the pic below, can't workout how it was created, as i was playing around with a few things.

Attachment:
GIMP BW TEXT.JPG
GIMP BW TEXT.JPG [ 23.76 KiB | Viewed 1516 times ]

ran the light effects filter to color, blurred some glitter on another layer, used the waves filter on the glitter to get this.

Attachment:
GIMP RED TEXT.JPG
GIMP RED TEXT.JPG [ 103.77 KiB | Viewed 1516 times ]

anyone know what filter /effect created it ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next