It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Environment Mapped Text Tutorial
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:53 pm  (#221) 
GimpChat Founder

Good results with the text, kakol20. You have quite a strong glow/shadow for such a light background, but I suppose that is just a matter of personal taste.

Very pretty results, Ella Louise. I love all the colors. You do have to be careful the overlay chosen doesn't overpower the highlights and color scattering you get from environment mapping. You're on the edge, but the environment mapping still comes though nicely on your result.

Using the lighting filter on your background added depth and shine to the texture, which made your text pop.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:48 pm  (#222) 
Global Moderator

GnuTux wrote:
I applied the lighting filter with a little bump of .01 to that background. Applying the lighting filter to your backgrounds can yield some pretty cool results. :smiley2

Love it thanks for sharing your method. :pengy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:15 pm  (#223) 
GimpChat Member

Love the lighting on the background. Did I miss how to do that?

*never mind, I re-read and figured it out! So simple, I just never even thought about it! Such a dramatic effect! I love it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:46 pm  (#224) 
GimpChat Member

@ GnuTux:great tut

how I can avoid that irregular borders?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:25 pm  (#225) 
Global Moderator

Here is my try.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:49 pm  (#226) 
GimpChat Founder

Marcello wrote:
how I can avoid that irregular borders?

The ragged borders are generally caused by using a photo as an environment map in the Lighting Effects filter. Actually, most photos (or patterns fills) don't make good emaps. You would have to experiment with a given photo to see if it is suitable as an emap in the LE filter. The size of the photo/pattern is also a factor when using as an emap, with a larger photo producing a better result.

For example, this is not a good image to use as an emap..

Which produces this when used as an emap..

You can see how blocky the photo becomes when it's mapped to the text. This is because the photo is stretched as it's mapped to the text, becoming stacked and compressed as it is wrapped around the beveled edges. This result is very pixelatted with ragged edges. Most of the time, I find it better to just overlay photos and pattern fills. However, there are exceptions. Using photos at least twice the size of the text you're mapping onto, does help.

Perhaps there is a way to manipulate a photo in such as way as to get better results, but I've not found a method to do that with the LE filter. I think more experimentation might be required here. ;)

I've found the best results can be had when using a "satin" style topographical or cloud type emaps, which can be created manually as described here. My EnviroMap Script does this (and a lot more) for you, allowing you to quickly generate and test lots of different Environment Maps from selected gradients.

Here are some examples..

Emap

Result

Emap

Result

I also recommend trying out the EnviroLogo Script, which has Environment Map generation included in the script, allowing for fast emap testing on text or other objects.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:56 pm  (#227) 
GimpChat Founder

molly wrote:
Here is my try.
[ Image ]

Nice depth on the BG, Molly. Looks like more than .01 depth.

Is that emapped text? It doesn't look like it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:42 pm  (#228) 
Script Coder

cool tutorial.
I applied the lighting effects on the wrong layer but it came out looking cool so i kept it.
environment map, it's tux's flowers (I just caged transformed it to get mostly the flowers)
then applied lighting effects on the wrong layer (the layer with the blurred GIMP and inverted colors)
deleted pure black from layer with blurred GIMP and inverted colors to reveal just the GIMP wording then used environment map as background behind it.
then i bumped up the saturation and contrast like mentioned in tutorial of the word GIMP.

this is another try.
I used the caged transformed flowers as env map image then i blurred at radius 10 then inverted it, then blurred another GIMP wording at radius 2 then inverted it and merged the 2 inverted image together to get a sort of blurred white text then used that as bump map as well as applying lighting effects on it.

Last edited by trandoductin on Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:53 pm  (#229) 
Retired Staff

Here's my try at it. I colorized the red env map to cyan for a teal effect.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:32 am  (#230) 
GimpChat Member

Tin, your second outcome is fantastic! Glass GIMP shining on flowers background...
Oregonian, GIMP is emerging dramatically; a little bit too...seriously?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:07 am  (#231) 
GimpChat Founder

Pretty good results from the size image you had to work with, Tin. I think the initial photo is a bit too small to get really great results, purely from the LE filter's emapping. You can certainly get interesting "effects" with photos, patterns or gradient emaps, as already demonstrated by members in this thread. The emaps just needs to be big. :hehe

Here's an example of a pattern fill used as an emap. I made the emap 4x the size of the text layer.

Another of a wood grain pattern @ 4x the size of the target text layer. Bump map Gauss blur 15, Sinusoidal curve, Height .02 - Distance .547 - Material Shiny at .54.

From my testing, gradients should be 3x-4x the height of the target text/object layer for smoother results. The width of the gradient doesn't seem to matter much. Here is my result of an emap of a horizon style gradient at 30x800.

Oregonian wrote:
Here's my try at it. I colorized the red env map to cyan for a teal effect.

Nice work. It looks good, O!

You're right, in that once you create an emap you like, you can change the color before you begin. If possible, I prefer to hue shift the emap, rather than to use the colorize filter. Of course, you can always hue shift/color balance after the emapping too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:49 am  (#232) 
Script Coder

another try (apply Lighting effects to the right layer this time like mentioned in tutorial)
I also tried changing the hue (as Tux has mentioned about the hue) to make it stand out a little more.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:33 am  (#233) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
Very pretty results, Ella Louise. I love all the colors. You do have to be careful the overlay chosen doesn't overpower the highlights and color scattering you get from environment mapping. You're on the edge, but the environment mapping still comes though nicely on your result.

Using the lighting filter on your background added depth and shine to the texture, which made your text pop.

I’m experimenting the different possibilities of Gimp. That’s why I appreciate a more experienced eye to comment my results. Although sometimes I don’t understand exactly what you (someone) mean :oops:
The language, the terminology, lack of skill … Still there is something I learn from it.
Thanks GnuTux :bigthup

Very different and nice outcomes here :gimp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:49 am  (#234) 
Global Moderator

GnuTux wrote:
molly wrote:
Here is my try.
[ Image ]

Nice depth on the BG, Molly. Looks like more than .01 depth.

Is that emapped text? It doesn't look like it.

Thanks Tux, No it isn't emapped, I was just trying to make my background shiny and it still isn't as shiny as yours.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:27 am  (#235) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks GnuTux for the explanation I will work about

Post subject: splt
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:31 pm  (#236) 
GimpChat Member

@GnuTux
my last tentative (I have to improve!)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:39 pm  (#237) 
GimpChat Founder

That is looking pretty good, Marcello. :bigthup

I see a few jagged highlights, which can happen with some fonts & some emaps. You can try adjusting your bumpmap depth in the lightng filter to a lower depth value. The default is 0.10 but I like to start at 0.01 and move up from there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:49 pm  (#238) 
Global Moderator

Beautiful shade of blue Marcello, just a few of adjustments in the lighting filter as Tux mentioned and it will be gorgeous.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:12 pm  (#239) 
GimpChat Member

@GnuTux & @Molly thank you for the suggestion
I hope with this EMT to improve (I used the same map )

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:43 am  (#240) 
GimpChat Member

really cool, thanx for the tut!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next