It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to Make Pitted Metal - Metal Wurx -Part XV
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:08 am  (#41) 
GimpChat Member

fuego wrote:
OK, I finished my Script-Fu script, for this tutorial and posted it on my blog. The script can be found at Script-Fu script for Draconian's Pitted Metal Tutorial if anyone wants to make any use of it, or critique it.

I'm very flattered that you liked this segment enough to make a script out of it. Could you post the .scm here, please? I didn't see any place to download it from your site.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:16 am  (#42) 
GimpChat Member

Sure, script attached. On my blog site, you could just click on the Crayon Syntax Highlighter frame icons to "toggle line numbers off", "toggle plain code", "open in new window" and just save the code, or just click on the "copy plain code" icon and save it to wherever. I know, the icons aren't very obvious ... they kind of look greyed-out.

Script default output sample (jpeg 85Q):

Attachments:
File comment: Script-Fu script for this tutorial.
pitted-metal.zip [9.43 KiB]
Downloaded 215 times

Last edited by fuego on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:19 am  (#43) 
Global Moderator

I just tried to do your script fuego but I can't see the bottom of the dialog to click ok

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:37 am  (#44) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
I just tried to do your script fuego but I can't see the bottom of the dialog to click ok

Aaargh, yes I've always had this problem on linux type platforms.

In windows, you'd hit alt space (window system menu) then "m" for move and arrow the window up/down, then esc to cancel or enter to confirm move. Never quite found out how to do that in linux distros with GUIs like Gnome, etc.

The problem is the total number of parameters and Script-Fu's inability to scroll the parameter window.

For me it's ok because I run at 1920x1080 resolution, so it fits in the screen (just about).

I'll read through the script section of this site and see if a solution has been proposed by someone. I guess I could split the script up into two and/or reduce the number of parameters...

Edit: Gnome http://library.gnome.org/users/gnome-ac ... 14.html.en

Alt+F7 start the window move.
Arrow keys to move window about.
Space to finish move.
Esc to cancel move.

I knew there had to be an equally simple way to do it. I'd just been too lazy to check.

Last edited by fuego on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:38 am  (#45) 
Global Moderator

Thank you Fuego, I appreciate it. Looks like a very good script.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:50 am  (#46) 
GimpChat Member

I just tried your script and got an "unbound variable" error message then Gimp crashed. Is this script designed to work in 2.6.11 or 2.8?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:47 am  (#47) 
Global Moderator

Got it, thanks fuego. Now I will do one with my own text. works great.
I did mine with Gimp-2.8 Drac.

scm file posted below.

Attachments:
Pitted Metal Effect2.scm.7z [9.43 KiB]
Downloaded 215 times

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:19 pm  (#48) 
GimpChat Member

Any reason this won't work in 2.6.11? Molly, I notice your script has a 2 on it. Is this a different version?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:02 pm  (#49) 
GimpChat Member

Draconian wrote:
I just tried your script and got an "unbound variable" error message then Gimp crashed. Is this script designed to work in 2.6.11 or 2.8?

I developed it and tested only with GIMP 2.8, so sorry, can't say why it might not be working in 2.6.x.

Did you try it creating a new image with the defaults? If not, what options did you pass the script, or use in the bevel script popup that comes after?

I confess to having avoided all the deprecated functions in favour of their new replacements. Don't know how that might have affected backwards compatibility, but I considered forward compatibility more important.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:51 pm  (#50) 
Global Moderator

The reason it has a 2 after it Drac is because I made the scm twice, the first time I didn't get it all so on the second one, I put a 2 there so I could upload it to GC. You can remove the 2 if you want, won't make any difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:50 pm  (#51) 
GimpChat Member

OK, version 1.3. Let's you use the effect on an existing layer (sans reflection). So instead of /File/Create/Pitted-metal... you make active either a text layer, or a normal layer in an existing image and use /Filter/Pitted-metal... The source layer has to have a transparent background as the script selects using alpha to selection and then inverts that selection to work with. Note that a copy of the layer is made to work on non-destructively.
Also small bug fix which was creating a copy of the existing display when working in an existing iamge and a couple of small tweaks, like if seeds are set to zero then random cloud/whirl patterns are used.

I used it to apply the pitted metal effect, without the relection (which isn't working properly with raster text anyway, so you can just delete the reflection layer) to some raster graphics text.

The above effect is a little dark, which is how I wanted this particular sample. I'm not sure why it came out so dark, since the the script does alpha to selection on a copy of the selected layer, instead of creating a text layer and doing alpha to selection on that, after which all processing is the same.

Anyway, bar any bug fixes, I've got to where I wanted to get with this tutorial and scripting, so I'm sticking a fork in it.

I must be a little tired, since I just realised that I filled the text graphics with black, rather than a dark brown, hence the darker colour. I guess that within the script I should do alpha to selection on the source layer, invert selection and refill with the FG colour from the parameters, when working with an existing layer. Mañana, maybe.

Attachments:
pitted-metal-v1.3.zip [10.45 KiB]
Downloaded 178 times

Last edited by fuego on Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:31 pm  (#52) 
GimpChat Member

I was able to make it through this one, no problem. Well, some problems. For instance, those selections freeze my computer, need more power.

Nice results Molly. I like the second one better due to the font.

Fuego, even though you messed up with the colors, I like it with that font. It looks elegant.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:48 am  (#53) 
Global Moderator

Very nice Bug...the hi-lites are very effective too. I did a little modify one here, I find it quite addictive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:00 pm  (#54) 
GimpChat Member

Bug, you gave me an idea with your last post. I had to make the text on two separate layers to get the reflectons to look right so here's a variation using methods similar to those in the tut.

Attachments:
Pitted Metal_3.jpg
Pitted Metal_3.jpg [ 390.7 KiB | Viewed 2317 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:24 pm  (#55) 
Global Moderator

I like that look Drac, Now if it was done in a granite color it would look like carved stone. very nice.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:30 pm  (#56) 
GimpChat Member

That looks nice Molly. I do think it would be interesting if you tried a couple of things. I'm having trouble trying to come up with the words I want. The first thing is to use perspective to map the text to the sphere, like a wrap around effect. The second thing I had to make a picture for. I guess it's the same thing, just in reverse. My t's look like eyes staring out of your screen.

That looks good Draconian. I'm not sure what idea I gave you unless it's how I should have done my reflection, under each word. I just didn't think about it. I did fix my selection problem. For some reason, I was under the impression that slower crawling ants would take up more resources but that's not the case.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:39 pm  (#57) 
Global Moderator

Yes that would be nice Bug. I will try a sphere with the next one.
I just made a circle with the Ellipse select and feathered it 50 then deleted.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:45 pm  (#58) 
GimpChat Member

I didn't necessarily mean make a sphere. The gradient on your circle already suggests a sphere. Just change the text.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:07 pm  (#59) 
GimpChat Member

Kind of a old tutorial but I have fun going through them and I like the results.

Attachments:
Reflection.png
Reflection.png [ 457.69 KiB | Viewed 1794 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:35 pm  (#60) 
Global Moderator

Very effective Tom, nice job

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next