It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: "Interlacing Text" Tutorial
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:32 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Doing this based on my "World Peace" creation here.

This is a tutorial, on how to make an "Interlacing Text". You will need the following installed in your GIMP. ML Bevel Reflect 2.0, Bevel Reflect Logo 1.5, and 3D Text. Fonts, Gnu Tux' e-maps, and 3D script I'll put in a zip file at the end of this tutorial. Here's a LINK for the Bevel Reflect Logo download.

Okay, let's get started:

1. Go to "File>Create>Logos(gimpchat.com)>Bevel Reflect Logo", and start the Bevel Reflect Logo Script.

2. Use these settings, marked 1 through 5, and hit "OK". Make sure to use capital letters on "WORLD".

3. Should look like this.

4. Rename the "BRL Logo" in the layers dialogue, to "WORLD".

5. Right click the "BRL Logo Copy" layer, in the layers dialogue, and hit "Alpha to Selection". Go to "Select>Invert", and invert the selection. Now select the "WORLD" layer you renamed earlier, then go to "Edit>Clear, then Select>None". This will give you a nice clean line around the gold logo.

6. Return to "File>Create>Logos(gimpchat.com)>Bevel Reflect Logo", and use these settings, then hit "OK". Capitalize the "P", but use lower case for the rest of the letters. This will help make the logo smaller, in front of the "WORLD" logo. Also, make sure the font size is set to 200. Forgot to include that. It will open up a new window. Should look like this.

7. Repeat the same procedure as in step 5, for the "Peace" logo.

8. Go anywhere on the screen, right click, hit "Edit>Copy". Go ahead and close the "Peace" screen. We won't need it anymore.

9. Right click anywhere on the screen, hit "Edit>Paste as>New Layer". Looks like this.

10. Rename the "Clipboard" layer to "Peace".

11. Use the "Move" tool, and move the "Peace" logo, to somewhere in this vicinity". Right click the layer in the layers dialogue, and select "Layer To Image Size".

12. With the "Peace" layer still selected, go to "Colors>Colorfy", select the stock blue as shown, and hit "OK".

13. Now go to "Layer>New from Visible", and select it. It will give you a new layer titled "Visible". This will be the other 2 visible layers merged, which is the key to interlacing. You can click the eye on the "Peace", and "WORLD" layers, to hide them.

14. Since our canvas is now a bit filled, we need to go to "Image>Canvas Size", and select it. Set the Width to 950, and hit "Resize". You'll have to grab the edge of your GIMP screen, and pull it out to see the added size.

15. Right click the "Visible" layer, and select "Layer Image To Size".

16. With the "Visible" layer still selected, go to "Script-Fu>3Dtext>make>3d" and select it. Set to these settings, and click "OK". Should look like this. I made the canvas a bit big, but we'll still need to add a shadow, and we can always crop. This how the interlacing is done. The layers have to be in one layer, and get extruded at once. We're doing a more fancy approach, but a simple colored text, over another different colored text, placed in the same layer, will produce these same results.

17. Right click the "Visible copy" layer, and select "Layer to Image Size". Hide the "Visible" layer. Go to "Filters>Light and Shadow>Drop Shadow", use these settings, and click "OK". Select the "Drop Shadow" layer, right click, and select "Layer to Image Size". Should look like this.

18. Go to "Layer>New Layer", rename to "Background", and hit "OK". Use the arrow on the bottom of the layers dialogue, and move it to the bottom. Should look like this.

19. Go to the Bucket tool, select "Pattern fill", and go to "FiddleBackRedOak" in the pattern selection. Fill the "Background" layer. Should look like this.

20. Use the crop tool, and crop it to something like this.

21. Go to "Filters>Decor>Add Bevel", and select it. Set "Thickness" to 10, and make sure "Work on Copy" is unselected. With the "Background" layer still selected, do this procedure twice, for a nice bevel.

22. That's it! Congrats on your first "Interlacing Text". By the way, you can always add a drop shadow to the background layer, or even 3D it as well.

EDIT: It looks like this if you 3D the Background layer, and add a drop shadow to it:

Attachments:
Interlace Tutorial Needs.7z [170.63 KiB]
Downloaded 419 times

Last edited by The Warrior on Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: "Interlacing Text" Tutorial
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:21 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you Warrior. This is a great effect.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:25 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Nice one The Warrior. :bigthup

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:35 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks gang, appreciate it. I want to do more tutorials, but I'm not crazy about doing them, haha. I guess I don't have the patience for it. All the screenshots, taking down notes, uploading, etc. I do like when it's over with though. :bigthup

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:48 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

That looks incredibly nice! I want to try this and I'll post my result when I'm done. Thanks for the tutorial.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:50 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Mathijs wrote:
That looks incredibly nice! I want to try this and I'll post my result when I'm done. Thanks for the tutorial.

Thank you, appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:03 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Okay I got something very silly going on right now .. I opened that window to create the Bevel Reflect Logo. The screen that popped up doesn't fit on my window and I tried to bring it up, but it doesn't go. It automatically jumps back. So I can't see the button to apply these settings .. What do I do? .. I feel a bit emberassed now lol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:12 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Mathijs wrote:
Okay I got something very silly going on right now .. I opened that window to create the Bevel Reflect Logo. The screen that popped up doesn't fit on my window and I tried to bring it up, but it doesn't go. It automatically jumps back. So I can't see the button to apply these settings .. What do I do? .. I feel a bit emberassed now lol

Perhaps you need the scrolling script: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9824

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:13 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

conbagui wrote:
Very nice Warrior, it's well explained :coolthup

Thank you sir, appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:36 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the solution Warrior, now it works

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:37 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Mathijs wrote:
Thanks for the solution Warrior, now it works

Good deal. I thought that's what it was. :bigthup

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:41 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Founder

Here's my quick and dirty variations.

I just merged two BRL'd text layers and extruded with the 3D Extrusion script, which obsoletes the old Make 3D Text script. I think by sizing the text just right and carefully positioning the letters, I can get a much better result.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:45 pm  (#13) 
Global Moderator

Very cool... I would like to know how you do those backgrounds. That one looks to be 3-D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:47 pm  (#14) 
Global Moderator

GnuTux, I like the effect of the Chat text wrapping around Gimp.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:48 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
Here's my quick and dirty variations.

[ Image ]

I just merged two BRL'd text layers and extruded with the 3D Extrusion script, which obsoletes the old Make 3D Text script. I think by sizing the text just right and carefully positioning the letters, I can get a much better result.

[ Image ]

Cool. I have used the 3D Extrusion Script for this a few times. I was messing around last night, and used the shrink option, then used the perspective tool. It was pretty cool, but not good enough to keep. But, it was just as easy to use the other. I should probably get rid of the 3D script. Have had it for a long time now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:48 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
Very cool... I would like to know how you do those backgrounds. That one looks to be 3-D

Use the 3D Extrusion script on the background as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:50 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Also, I think the thinner fonts work better for the effect. I really prefer to use a standard font for the back text, and a text in italics for the other, although I didn't use that for this tut.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:52 pm  (#18) 
Global Moderator

Thanks I never thought of that. I must try it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:57 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
Thanks I never thought of that. I must try it.

You're welcome. I guess the tutorial would have been easier, and much shorter, to say put 2 different color fonts on the same layer and extrude, haha. Here's one with plain text:

Last edited by The Warrior on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:00 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Founder

molly wrote:

I just extruded the gold checks pattern and hue shifted.

Odinbc wrote:
GnuTux, I like the effect of the Chat text wrapping around Gimp.

Yes. That is exactly what I was going for on the 2nd version. I think I need to make "Chat" a little larger and get each letter positioned just right to get the wrap around effect.

The Warrior wrote:
have used the 3D Extrusion Script for this a few times.

Actually, the 3D Extrusion script started out as a modification to that old Make 3D Text Script, which didn't extrude alpha to selections. It had other problems, as well, specifically with the Bump Map code. I finally just abandoned the old code and rewrote it from scratch to create 3D Extrusion V2.0.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next