It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:45 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I was pondering making coin objects with Gimp using the Cylinder setting of Map Object. First I made a couple of perspective view still coins:

Using GAP combined with both Move Path and Apply Filter On Layer(s) under the Frames Modify function, I was able to make this:

How This Was Accomplished

I began with a 400x400 square image. Getting a proper round rod shaped cylinder in Map Object requires beginning with a square image (I think :mrgreen: ).

I wanted my coin to have a ridge on the side rather than be smooth. So I made this background for developing the side of the cylinder (coin):

I made it by placing a vertical guide at both 0 and 4 (I also had a horizontal guide at position 200). Then using d5e328 as my foreground color and a0ab1e as my background color, I used the Blend Tool set for a Linear Shape and a Sawtooth Wave Repeat. I then positioned my cursor at point 0,200 (intersection of the vertical guide at 0 and horizontal guide at 200) and holding down my left mouse button dragged the cursor to point 4,200. Releasing my mouse button, it created a striped background. However, that background was more blended. In order to make it a sharper more defined color separation, I adjusted the Brightness and Contrast of the background and then used a Colorize final step. There are other ways to do this.

I found a public domain image of Wilber over at Wikipedia. It was shaded. Since I am making an animated GIF, which allows only 256 colors, I simplified it down to a few basic colors:

I then used the Fuzzy Select Tool along with the Free Select Tool to select various parts of Wilber to make this:

I also used FX-Foundry's Bevel and Emboss script to make Inner Bevels for the various parts to give them a sort of 3 dimensional appearance.

I then developed my coin base:

I filled a 400x400 circular selection with color 8f991b. I then shrank the selection by 10 pixels and using a 21x21 hard round brush, I created a new layer, reset my foreground and background colors to the default black and white and set my Paintbrush Tool up to Use Color From Gradient, and set the Length to 100 and the Repeat to Triangular Wave. I then Stroked the Selection. When the Stroke Dialog window opened, I selected to use the Paintbrush Tool for creating the stroke.

I then set that "stroked" layer to Overlay Mode and merged it down on the 400x400 circular selection layer.

I added "golden Wilber" on top of that to make the front of my coin:

For the back side of the coin, I made another 400x400 circular selection, then Shrunk it by 20 pixels and saved that as a Path. I then made the text "GIMP" and "CHAT". I widened the space between each letter by adjusting the letter spacing value in the Text Tool Options Dialog. I applied GIMP to the circular Path as it was. I then copied the Path and then using the Flip Tool, I flipped it vertically and applied the CHAT text to the flipped circular Path. I had to rotate each of the resulting word Paths by 45 degrees to get them into the desired position.

After filling each path, I again used the FX-Foundry Bevel and Emboss script set to Inner Bevel to give them a 3-d appearance. I had to adjust their final positions using the Move Tool. Finally, I flipped the backside of the coin using the Flip Tool first Vertically, ,and then Horizontally:

Putting It Together With GAP

With GAP, I created a separate 400x400 background. Created 60 frames from it (59 duplicates). I then used Move Path to add the ridged background image above into frames 1 through 60.

I then used Frames Modify set to Apply Filter on Layer(s) for Layerstack 0 for frames 1 through 30. I selected Map Object using Apply Varying and set the Orientation Tab to X-Rotation value of 90.00 (this value remains the same for all frames), and Z-Rotation value of 0.00.

For all frames, I used No Light under the Lighting Tab. Under the Options Tab, I had Transparent Background selected. Map To set to Cylinder. Under the Cylinder Tab, the Top and Bottom were selected from the images I posted above. The Radius of the Cylinder was left at 0.25. The Length of the Cylinder was set to a thin 0.03 to make it look like a coin.

After clicking OK (and then Continue in the little dialog box that opens afterwards), Map Object reopens and asks for the final value at frame 30. I wanted the coin to go 180 degrees over the first 30 frames (to spin from front to back). That makes six degrees per frame. However, since the first frame as at position 0 rather than 6, frame 30 will be a value of 174.0 degrees.

After processing those first 30 frames, I then again selected Frames Modify with a selection of Apply Filter on Layer(s), still using Layerstack 0, but this time Frames 31 through 60. Again, Map Object is selected using Apply Varying. The only settings needing changed are the Z-Rotation values. The first setting will be -180.0 degrees (that is minus 180). After clicking OK, when the second rendition of Map Object opens, I set the final Z-Rotation value to -6.0 degrees.

After everything processed, using Frames to Image, I made a multi-framed image setting each frames timing to 100ms. I added a plain black background to each frame using saulgoode's combine background animation script. I then used the Optimize for GIF function under the Filters | Animation section to make an optimized file. Finally, I saved it as an animated GIF file.

Can This Be Done Without GAP?

It could be done manually, but that would take a long time adjusting each layer manually.

If you have GAP installed, one of the options it installs is the Filter All Layers option under the Filters heading in a Gimp Image Window. You could make two 30 layer images with all layers being copies of the base 400x400 background image I have posted above. In another image, you would have as layers the Front and Back side of the coin.

To the first 30 layer image, you would run Filter All Layers then select Map Object and Apply Varying. Set Options to Transparent Background, Map To set to Cylinder, Light Tab set to No Light, Cylinder Tab, select the appropriate Front and Back images, leave the Radius at 0.25 and the Length is set to 0.03. In the Orientation Tab, set the X-Rotation value to 90.0. Set the first Z-Rotation value to 0.0 degrees. Click OK. Click the Continue Button on the little dialog window that opens.

When Map Object opens again, change the Z-Rotation value to 174.0 degrees. Click OK. You may have to click a second Continue button. After the process finishes, save the file as rotation1.xcf. Close out the file.

Go to the second 30 layer file and again run Filter All Layers, select Map Object and Apply Varying. The only thing you will need to change is the Z-Rotation value. Set it to -180.0 degrees (that is minus 180.0). Click OK. Then click on Continue when the little Continue Dialog window opens.

After some processing again, Map Object will again open. This time set the Z-Rotation value to -6.0 degrees. Click OK. Once it finishes processing, save the file as rotation2.xcf. Close out this file.

Now, open rotation1.xcf. Then select:

File | Open As Layers

Select rotation2.xcf

Now, you will have a 60 layer image file.

You can use saulgoode's combine background animation script to add a background behind the coin in each frame.

You can also use saulgoode's animation settings script to set the delay value for each layer rather than doing it manually.

Save the final result as an animated GIF file.

Thank you for checking this out.

:)

Last edited by ccbarr on Mon May 09, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:14 am  (#2) 
Former Member

Very well done! and informative too

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:06 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

mikethedj4 wrote:
Very well done! and informative too

mike,

Thanks. I appreciate that you seem to make a real effort to offer constructive comments on everyone's submissions that you reply to. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:02 am  (#4) 
Retired Staff

Thank you ccbarr. Your tutorials are always excellent and I particularly like GAP tutorials.

I am going to try this one. I took the liberty of making a pdf file of it and have attached it below.

Attachments:
Spinning GIMP Coin by ccbarr.pdf [359.9 KiB]
Downloaded 800 times

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:11 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Very cool tutorial.I love the way you added the ridge edge to the coin.
Although the coin doesn't look gold colored to me it could be just my monitor settings.
I am not sure if it's supposed to look golden colored either.It looks kinda greenish tinted.
But a really cool informative tutorial.

Thanks ccbarr! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:30 pm  (#6) 
Retired Staff

I'm using gimp 2.6.11, are you using a different version?

When trying to stroke the selection, I do not have anything called a "Pen Tool."

I will use the Paintbrush unless I've missed something somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:54 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

O, I think it is called the pen tool in Photoshop. It is the bezier tool in GIMP.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:01 pm  (#8) 
Retired Staff

I think it must mean Paintbrush then. Can't stroke with a path.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:12 pm  (#9) 
Global Moderator

ccbarr, you have done it again. Your tutorials are amazing....

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:20 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
ccbarr, you have done it again. Your tutorials are amazing....

+2

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:40 pm  (#11) 
Retired Staff

ccbarr wrote:
After clicking OK (and Continue in the little box that opens), Map Object reopens and asks for the final value at frame 30.

I started over 3 times until I got to this point and never got something that asked for the final value at frame 30.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:01 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

This is a very impressive piece of "GIMP engineering", ccbarr. Especially the bit about getting an "edge" of the coin in-place. I would not have thought it possible to do without using a 3D-program. Good, detailed description too, from this I learn nooks and corners of GIMP that I didn't even knew I didn't know. :D
Griatch

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:15 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks to everyone for the comments. Always appreciated. :tyspin

Rod,

I wasn't using any color that might be considered a standard gold color. When I figure out a concept, I often eyeball things like color. Looking back at it now, yes, it does have a greenish tinted hue to it as well. I guess it's old gold that has started oxidizing. ;) Maybe I should change the title to Spinning Oxidized Gold Gimp Coin. :hehe Seriously though, I agree with your observation. Any suggestions on a hex color number to use to give it a more golden appearance? Thank you.

O,

Yes, it was the Paintbrush Tool. I will go back and fix that portion of the explanation. Referring to it as the Pen Tool was incorrect. I apologize.

Regarding me saying it would ask for a final value at frame 30. Map Object just pops up again after clicking on the Continue button asking you to input another value, which it will apply to frame 30. Gimp and GAP then create the tween frames. I'll go back today and look at my explanation to see if it was an error. If it was, I'll amend it.

Thank you for creating the PDF. Glad you did.

I want to mention that while I did provide a fairly detailed explanation of how I created the spinning coin, it wasn't intended to be a proper tutorial, but rather a guide. Those of you familiar with Gimp and GAP might very well have enough details to figure out the missing pieces. But my explanations glossed over things that I would want to add in a proper tutorial.

I don't know if I will be able to find the time to make a proper tutorial, which is part of the reason I included a detailed explanation.

Thank you again everyone for commenting. :bigthup

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:04 pm  (#14) 
Global Moderator

I can't duplicate ccbarr's amazing efforts, and now on my 4th attempt. I clearly need a few GAP 101 classes.

I might add this is one of the reasons I wanted to find Carol Spears very detailed tutorials that no longer exist on gimp.org or even the wayback machine.

This isn't a negative point toward your detailed instructions, either, ccbarr. I just need more GAP experience before taking this on.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:44 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
I can't duplicate ccbarr's amazing efforts, and now on my 4th attempt. I clearly need a few GAP 101 classes.

I might add this is one of the reasons I wanted to find Carol Spears very detailed tutorials that no longer exist on gimp.org or even the wayback machine.

This isn't a negative point toward your detailed instructions, either, ccbarr. I just need more GAP experience before taking this on.

mahvin,

Thank you for attempting it. I have added an attached XCF file showing all the parts that I used in setting up the animation. There are some additional layers in there that I had for experimental purposes. They will stand out immediately since you don't see them anywhere in the animation. If that can help you at all, great. If not, if you are stuck at a particular point, feel free to post questions, I'll try to help if I can.

Attachments:
File comment: Parts used to make the spinning coin animation
parts.xcf [961.47 KiB]
Downloaded 184 times
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:16 pm  (#16) 
Retired Staff

Well I've finally done it but I don't know why the knurling is a ring larger than the coin instead of part of the coin.

Somehow, GIMP and CHAT got mirrored.

With a little more experience behind me, perhaps I can go back and figure out what I did wrong.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:13 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Oregonian wrote:
Well I've finally done it but I don't know why the knurling is a ring larger than the coin instead of part of the coin.

Somehow, GIMP and CHAT got mirrored.

With a little more experience behind me, perhaps I can go back and figure out what I did wrong.

Looks like a good effort O.

:bigthup

Did you make sure that all the parts are in layers that are the same size as one another? And all the parts need to be same dimensions. In my original submission, everything was 400x400. The coins were 400x400 circles, the knurling is from a layer that is 400x400.

Also, the back side of the coin needs to be upside down before applying Map Object to it. Honestly, I'm not exactly clear why it has to be upside down, but apparently something to do with how Map Object applies it to be the bottom end of the cylinder object.

Just for clarity sake, I am using Gimp 2.6.11 and the corresponding GAP for it on a GNU/Linux system.

You are very close in any event and thank you for taking the time to try it.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:21 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

#FFDD00 looks good as gold. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:48 pm  (#19) 
Retired Staff

ccbarr wrote:
Did you make sure that all the parts are in layers that are the same size as one another? And all the parts need to be same dimensions. In my original submission, everything was 400x400. The coins were 400x400 circles, the knurling is from a layer that is 400x400.
Aha! My coins ended being 360x360 in the 400 x 400 image.

Yes, I have the GIMP CHAT path right-side-up and forward-reading.

One thing I did was move the GIMP CHAT layer below the Wilber layer and that may have caused the mirrored text; perhaps the negative Z values caused it to mirror.

I will crop the layers to the size of the coin and also the ribbed layer will be the same size, and I will move the text layer back to the top..

Anyway, back to the drawing board and hopefully it will be what I was hoping for the first time. Perhaps a bit smaller. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:04 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Oregonian wrote:
Yes, I have the GIMP CHAT path right-side-up and forward-reading.

O,

Hoping you meant it is upside down before applying Map Object to it? It needs to be upside down like this: