It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Add G'MIC to Mac OS 10.6.8
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:01 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

download GIMP 2.6.11
Download gmic_gimp 1.5.0.0 beta for SnowLeopard
Place the gmic_gimp file in the plug-ins folder by navigating to
/Users/yourhomefolder/Library/Application Support/Gimp/plug-ins and dropping it in the folder.
Right click on the gmic_gimp file and then get info.
This will open up another box which will display a url like address for the plug-ins folder…imperative that you use this and do not try to type it in by hand.
So hilight this and then right click to copy.
Assuming you already have GIMP open, navigate to Edit/preferences/Folders/Plug-Ins.
Click on the white paper icon and then right click paste the previously copied address in the address bar…then click ok….
It is important that you use the mouse to R click copy and paste as it may not work if you use the keyboard commands…If you are using a mighty mouse and do not know how to do this then message me and I will help you to configure your mouse to be able to right click.

restart GIMP
This does work as I have tried it and have it running.

Attachments:
Screen shot 2011-06-28 at 4.39.24 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-06-28 at 4.39.24 PM.png [ 270.81 KiB | Viewed 7012 times ]
Screen shot 2011-06-28 at 4.32.55 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-06-28 at 4.32.55 PM.png [ 97.67 KiB | Viewed 7013 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Add GMIC to Mac OS 10.6.8
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:13 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks akky, your posts are goldmines for G'MIC&Mac users !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:38 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks...I spent a little while figuring this out...did you want me to post it elsewhere??
I'm concerned about the introduction of OS 10.7 but will experiment on my other computer...to date they are saying GIMP will not work on OS 10.7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:30 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

do you know if I can remove my current g'mic and replace it with the newest version? Can I just dump the current one in the trash and follow the above directions for the new one?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:33 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I downloaded the new 1.5 version of gmic_gimp for my OS and placed it in the plug-ins folder . I got a prompt saying do you want to replace the existing one my answer was yes...I didnt really have to do anything else...as it automatically trashes it then. but for anyone who hasnt got it in the first place then you need to follow the instructions I have given for installing, depending on which OS you have...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:47 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks, I'll try it tonight...oh, btw, where did you get your download. I like to download from where others have done it successfully to make sure I get a good file.
And is there an easy way to put patterns into gimp on mac? The only way I have been able to do it successfully is to open gimp, open the pattern jpg that I have acquired or made, then edit it with copy>paste into>pattern. If I just take a file.pat and drop it into the gimp pattern folder, it doesn't show up in my patterns.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:47 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

ok firstly I usually download GIMP and gmic from sourceforge. With gmic it must be the gmic_gimp file for your own OS. It opens up a whole new world.

For patterns, you need to open the intended pattern in GIMP and then hit save...you will get an option of how and where to save...go to the bottom and choose GIMP pattern as the save option. It might say...you already have this in the folder because it will give it the same extension most likely....but when you click that and save it, if you look at the pattern folder in application support, you will find it has changed appearance to look like an original wilbur type file, and it will come up in your patterns on GIMP.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:01 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

akky wrote:
ok firstly I usually download GIMP and gmic from sourceforge. With gmic it must be the gmic_gimp file for your own OS. It opens up a whole new world.

For patterns, you need to open the intended pattern in GIMP and then hit save...you will get an option of how and where to save...go to the bottom and choose GIMP pattern as the save option. It might say...you already have this in the folder because it will give it the same extension most likely....but when you click that and save it, if you look at the pattern folder in application support, you will find it has changed appearance to look like an original wilbur type file, and it will come up in your patterns on GIMP.

I just reread this and didnt think it was clear enough so I added this screenshot

Attachments:
Screen shot 2011-06-29 at 5.59.05 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-06-29 at 5.59.05 AM.png [ 141.44 KiB | Viewed 6924 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

another mac question...exactly where would I put .gmic files?