It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eroded Metal Text Tutorial
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:46 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

So i asked about a week ago if i should do a tut on my new sig... i got positive feedback so its finally up now!
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Original Tutorial Here:
http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/text- ... photoshop/

Written Tutorial

Step 1
New 800x600. Add text (make it very bold).

Step 2
Duplicate Text. On top layer, Alpha to Selection then go Select>Shrink by around 8 or so (depending on size of image). Then delete or Edit>Clear.
I've turned the visibility off on the lower text layer to show you what i've done.

Step 3
On the bottom text layer go to your fill tool, find the pattern you just added (link at the top) and fill the inside of each letter.

Step 4
On the same layer, Alpha to Selection, then go to Select>Shrink and shrink by 1. Then select>invert and delete or edit>clear.

Step 5
Duplicate the current layer. colors>color to alpha and choose white.

Step 6
Go to the other patterned layer and do colors>color to alpha and choose black.

Step 7
Now we need to add shadows and highlights to our outline. For this make 2 new transparent layers. Go to your Outline layer. Use your fuzzy select tool to select the inside of every letter (set the fuzzy select mode to add). While keeping the selection active, go to your first new layer and fill it in with black. Now go to your next new transparent layer, while still on your selection, and fill it in with white.

Step 8
Now go to your white fill in layer, and take the move tool, click the image and use your arrow keys to move it 2px down and 2px to the right.

Do the same thing with the black fill in layer but move it 2px up and 2px to the left.
Merge the black and white layer together.

Now go to your fuzzy select tool on your outline layer and do the same selection you did in step 7. Go to your black and white merged layer (still active selection) and click delete or edit>clear.
You can rename this layer "Shadows and Highlights" if you want.

Step 9
Apply a gaussian blur of 1px to your Shadows and Highlights layer.

Step 10
You may turn the visibility off on your Shadows and Highlights layer. Merge down your outline to your black cage (that one layer that we did color to alpha white). Rename this one "Cage"

Step 11
More Shadows and Highlights! Make 2 new transparent layers above the cage layer. Now go to your cage layer and do alpha to selection, Select>Invert (this is the important part), and then go into your first transparent layer and fill in with black, go to the next transparent layer and fill in with white. (The selection was active for those steps). Then select>none.

Step 12
Now on your white fill in layer, take the move tool and move it 1px down and 1px to the right. Go to the black and go 1px up and 1px to the left. Now merge those two layers together. Name it "Cage Shadows and Highlights".
Go to the "Cage" layer and do Select>Invert and go to your "Cage Shadows and Highlights" layer and click delete or Edit>clear. then Select>none.

Step 13
Apply a blur like in step 9 on your "Cage Shadows and Highlights" layer.

Step 14
Go to the "Cage" layer and go to the fill tool. Choose the pattern "Burlwood" fill in the Cage layer text with the Burlwood Pattern.

Step 15
Go Colors>Desaturate and use Lightness. Now Duplicate the layer and set the top one on Grain Merge and merge it down. Then do brightness and contrast with these settings.

Step 16
This is one of the most important parts so read carefully! Set a new white layer above your Cage layer. Then go to Filters>Render>Clouds>Difference Clouds. Click new seed. DO NOT CLICK RANDOMIZE! Then click okay.

Step 17
Now Repeat Difference clouds. (Make sure its the same seed from before)

Step 18
Repeat the difference clouds one more time with the same seed.

Step 19
Colors>Invert. Then Colors>Levels and use these settings.

Step 20
Now duplicate this layer, set the top one on Screen and merge down.
Repeat steps 16 through 19 and the first part of step 20.
Make sure you use a different seed for the next time you do it. Now when you repeat the process, you should get another layer similar to the one you just made. Set this layer on screen and merge it down, this adds more white clouds.

Step 21
Lower the opacity on your cloud layer. Move and or rotate and or flip the layer so that you get some clouds on your text. Once you've found the right place, Set the opacity back up and do Layer to Image Size.

Step 22
Go colors>Color to Alpha, chose black.

Step 23
Go to your Cage layer and go Alpha to Selection and while keeping the selection active, go to your cloud layer and Select>Invert and then delete or Edit>Clear.

Step 24
Alpha to selection your cloud layer and go to your gradient tool, choose any gradient you want but i like Romanian Flag Smooth. Blend across the screen and then select>none.

Step 25
Duplicate the cloud layer, set the bottom cloud layer on multiply, set the top layer on overlay.

Step 26
Go to your white layer that will look like a bunch of dots. Alpha to selection this layer, then go to Filters>Decor>Add Bevel. Use these settings.

Step 27
Go to Colors>Invert.

We're almost done, if you've done everything correctly so far your image should look like this (without the background layer).

Step 28
Add the Background. Add any background you want, but keep it greyish. I used the pattern Qbert, lowered the contrast and the brightness and but a grungy paper texture over it, desaturated it and set it on grain merge.

Step 29
Add a drop shadow. The settings will vary based on your image size. For an 800x600 i used these settings.

Step 30
Turn on all of your layers, add some final touches (lighting, etc.) and flatten image!

Last edited by JFish on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Eroded Metal Text Tutorial
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:23 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Ooh, I'm gonna have to try this one later, looks good.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:11 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Yes it's very a very long tutorial but i wanted to explain it the best way i could. But it gives a very cool looking result.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:48 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

My favorite such effect is known as "The Scott Effect":

http://gug.criticalhit.dk/tutorials/ronq1/

-Rob A>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:06 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

That tut is very interesting! it looks pretty real!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:20 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

GUG has some pretty cool tutorials, I've done a few of them.

And on this one:

Love the industrial look of it. Nice!

Attachment:
erodedtext.xcf [3.66 MiB]
Downloaded 428 times

Last edited by Amanda47 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:24 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Very Nice! I love that background too!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:01 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Nice tutorial. I needed one a different size and background to match other graphics so the results are a bit different. May have to play with this one again:Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:52 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Ya you might want to add those shadows and highlights to the outline of the letters to give it more depth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:02 pm  (#10) 
Retired Staff

Very nice tutorial JFish. I really love having both the video and text tutorial. I know it takes a lot of hours and thought to making a tutorial. Thank you for taking the time and putting forth the effort to make this excellent tutorial.

The only problem I had was with the dots pattern. The one you have for download seems too large. Filling Arial Bold size 300 text with it only had about 2 columns of dots in the letters and your tutorial images have at least 4 - 5. I resized the original 40 x 40px pattern to 25 x 25px and it worked out fine. I also made a diamond shaped pattern which is in the left image below. The image on the right: I wanted it to look like tarnished brass. I used the 25 x 25px pattern in it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:01 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I ran into the same problem with the pattern being too big. Somewhere along the line, I downloaded someone's script/plug-in (RobA?) that scales patterns up or down and that worked perfectly for me. Not everyone's going to have it, but it's a good one, especially for the simple patterns.

I tried to make a tutorial once and barely got into it before it got overwhelming. Tutorials are hard to make! I didn't finish making mine, but learned to appreciate others'.

This tutorial here, it's good but not for beginners as there are a few things missing. I had to make a few judgment calls on things that someone new to creating these kinds of images might not have known to do, and it would have affected the final image. But if every little thing and suggestions were included, it would have been a HUGE tutorial! It's already a big one and a pretty involved image, but the outcome is worth it.

I like yours, "O". The first one looks good, and the brass one is really neat. Way to spice it up!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:40 am  (#12) 
Global Moderator

love both of them O, I can't get past step #4 so far. grrrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:04 am  (#13) 
Global Moderator

Problem on Step - 14
In step 14 it says, Go to cage layer and fill with Burlwood pattern.....
Problem: now that the outline and cage are merged together as it said to do in step #10, the fill covers where the outline should be.
Below is a scrn shot of what happens when I fill the cage layer
HELP!!!! pleeze... :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:50 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Um well right here is a different image than what i had but the way to fix it would be locking the alpha channel on the layer, then with the fill tool, choose burlwood and check the box "Fill whole selection" and click anywhere on your image... everything that isnt transparent will fill with burlwood. This will allow you to fill the whole cage layer with burlwood the image should look like this

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:19 am  (#15) 
Global Moderator

I did that and it also covered the outline. I think it is because the outline and the cage are merged together like it said in step #10.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:38 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Attachment:
Splash2.png
Splash2.png [ 685.67 KiB | Viewed 2066 times ]

this was a really complicated effect and as stated by others some steps are implied (like sometimes one has to "select none" to go to the next step). but I got Something done and am making new 'splashes' for my GIMP startup.

this effort isn't perfect and frankly a bit busy, but I like it anyway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:28 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

I love the result cecilia! And molly, the outline should be covered with the pattern. When you turn the visibility on from the highlight layers it gives it more depth and it makes it look like there is an outline.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:59 am  (#18) 
Global Moderator

Thanks JFish, Silly me, I was using the hole pattern. I didn't even know I had a Burlwoood pattern. I was wondering why yours was a rusty color. Anyway Duh!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:48 am  (#19) 
Global Moderator

I finally did one. Not too happy with the background but anyway, I will try a different one. Great tutorial JFish....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:22 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

JFish wrote:
I love the result cecilia! And molly, the outline should be covered with the pattern. When you turn the visibility on from the highlight layers it gives it more depth and it makes it look like there is an outline.

thank you

I know how difficult it is to make tutorials - I've done it for other software or very easy things in GIMP when someone asks me. I'm hardly an expert on GIMP. So I'm not trying to be critical to annoy you. But you need to include Every step and not miss one. Otherwise us 'simple' people will find our heads spinning.
I found myself Sort of getting what needed to be done but was not really satisfied that I understood.

when you do these things take it slowly. And to Rename each layer as it's done. I think THAT alone helps people keep on track so they know where they are. tons of layers can get very confusing otherwise.

anyway, this is an interesting effect and I want to use it for other things. so thanks