It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to Make a Hammered Metal Effect - Metal Wurx - Part XI
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:58 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

How to Make a Hammered Metal Effect

The Metal Wurx series continues as we explore yet another technique for making a hammered metal effect. You will need the Voronio Script to complete this tutorial which can be found here… http://www.geocities.jp/gimproject/plug ... ronoi.html.
Go all the way down to the bottom of the page to the dark blue text where it says
“voronoi-2.2-win32.zip”

You will also need this metal image available for download at CG Textures.com.

Here is the link to the image on their site:

http://www.cgtextures.com/texview.php?i ... cjh055d732

Step 1.
Open a new image 1000x1000 and use 300 ppi for resolution.

Step 2.
Download the metal image from the link above or you can use your own image. Go to File>Open as layers and navigate to where your image is saved to open it in Gimp. Right click on the image layer in the layers dialog and select Add Alpha Channel.

Step 3.
If you don’t already have it, download the Voronoi script from the link above and install it in your Gimp “user” scripts folder and refresh your scripts. Go to Filters>Render>
Pattern>Voronoi and enter the following settings in the first tab of the dialog called Grid Generator. Set the cell size to 50 and the Cell type to Hexagon (horizontal)

Now go to the second tab, Visualization, and set the Radial distance all the way up to 1. Make sure you check both boxes at the top of the dialog to make your image tillable.

When the filter is finished rendering the pattern, it should look something like this.

Name this layer Bump pattern, and rename the image layer to Metal.

Step 4.
Select the Bump pattern layer to make it active, and duplicate this layer one time. Go to Filters>G’MIC>Contours>Laplacian and enter the settings in the screenshot below, and click OK.

You should get a sort of white looking mosaic pattern like in the image window of the tool dialog above. Go to Colors>Invert to reverse the colors in the pattern. Next, go to Filters>Blur>Gaussian blur and use 10 for both settings. After inverting and blurring processes are completed, set the layer mode to Overlay and turn off the visibility of this layer and just for clarity, name this layer Laplaician.

Here’s what it looks like inverted and then blurred.

Step 5.
Let’s go back to our Bump pattern layer and select it to make it active, then go to Colors>
Invert to reverse the colors. We need to blur this layer as well so go to Filters>Blur>
Gaussian Blur, and this time set both values to 15 and then click OK. Here’s what your Bump pattern layer should look like now.

Step 6.
OK, time to work some magic. Turn off the visibility of the Bump pattern layer and select the Metal layer to make it active. Now go to Filters>Map>Bump Map and make sure you have the Bump pattern layer selected in the drop down at the top of the Bump Map dialog. You should make a habit of always checking this when using the Bump Map filter. Set the map type to Spherical, check the two boxes Compensate for darkening (should already be checked) and Invert bumpmap. Set the Depth to 12 and click OK.

Our image is now starting to take on that hammered look that we want.

Step 7.
Turn on the visibility of the Laplacian layer and either leave it like it is, or lower the Opacity to 50% or whatever you prefer.

Let’s look at some variations of this effect that can be achieved by making a few simple changes. Give that Edit/Undo a little workout and go all the way back to the bump map.

Variation #1.
Set the Map type to Sinusoidal and use the Laplaician layer for the bump map. Increase the Depth to 20 and you will get a Cobblestone effect. Granted, this would look better with something like a concrete texture but you get the idea.

Variation #2.
All I did here was use the same settings as in Variation #1 but I unchecked the box for Invert bumpmap so that it appears to have raised ridges.

Variation #3.
For this one, I went back and used the Bump pattern layer as is without the blur step, then did the bump map on the metal layer using Sinusoidal, checked the Invert box and used a depth of 20. You might also try it with a depth of 5 or 10 for little a different look.

You can use the Laplaician layer as well or leave it off like I did here for these three variations above. This technique will obviously work on any type of metal background you prefer to give it that hammered metal look like these samples I made using two different types of bronze metal.

This one uses a very shallow bump setting whereas the one below uses the settings used in the tutorial above.

You can see that there are again endless variations as you implement these methods for achieving that hammered metal look.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.

Metal Wurx – Part XII is the next in our series and will explore making and using metallic gradients, as well as how to make gold, copper, bronze, titanium, nickel, aluminum, silver and brass from scratch without using G’MIC, like the ones below.

I will also show you several different methods for making chrome finishes so don’t miss this next segment.

Last edited by Draconian on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How to Make a Hammered Metal Effect - Metal Wurx - Part XI
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:08 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Can't wait till your PDF comes out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:23 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Hallo the Metal Wurx – Part XII would interesting form me. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:02 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

draconian, you're now officially my hero! great tutorial, i had to fight a bit with the voronoi filter but i made it and your hammered metal effect looks perfect! i've done this for real a lot, so i'm a bit fussy with the result. here's my new necklace in steel, anodized titanium (my favourite metal technique irl) and leather cord.
Attachment:
hammered necklace small.png
hammered necklace small.png [ 241.29 KiB | Viewed 19638 times ]

i should of course have resized and rotated the titanium paisley before i added the hammered effect, but you live, you learn :) .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:08 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Bet you you can get a similar result using Distort>Mosaic Drac. Like the result by the way. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:20 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

AnMal wrote:
draconian, you're now officially my hero! great tutorial, i had to fight a bit with the voronoi filter but i made it and your hammered metal effect looks perfect! i've done this for real a lot, so i'm a bit fussy with the result. here's my new necklace in steel, anodized titanium (my favourite metal technique irl) and leather cord.
Attachment:
hammered necklace small.png

i should of course have resized and rotated the titanium paisley before i added the hammered effect, but you live, you learn :) .

:rofl Thank you! I don't know if I want to be on a pedestal that High up, I'm scared of heights. Glad you liked it.

Lyle - I have very little experience with that filter other than the Mosaic stuff we did when Graetchan was making her script. I noticed Rod used it as well for his Reptile skin script or whatever it was called. I'll have to give it a little more attention. Who knows what I might come up with. Besides, Erisian would probably just steal it and use it to make an Andorian foot harp out of it. :teeth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:59 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk: i'd like to try that filter, but i haven't found it - has it been posted here on the site?

draconian: i wouldn't worry too much if i were you - it's not so much a piedestal as a continental plateau and you share it with a huge crowd of people - my guess is you won't even see over the edge for all the people :rofl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:37 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Draconian wrote:
Besides, Erisian would probably just steal it and use it to make an Andorian foot harp out of it. :teeth

Nah - they're out of fashion at the moment. :rofl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:40 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

AnMal wrote:
lylejk: i'd like to try that filter, but i haven't found it - has it been posted here on the site?

draconian: i wouldn't worry too much if i were you - it's not so much a piedestal as a continental plateau and you share it with a huge crowd of people - my guess is you won't even see over the edge for all the people :rofl

It's been a part of GIMP forever AnMal; it's located under Filters>Distorts>

:)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:01 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

aaahh, now i get it! i inserted a comma and suddenly there was no new exciting "mosaic drac" filter but just plain old mosaic :oops: well, i'll try mosaic, but i've never really liked my results with that one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:46 pm  (#11) 
Global Moderator

Very nice tute Drac. @Erisian, here ya go

Attachments:
hammerhead.pdf [997.28 KiB]
Downloaded 251 times

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:48 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Lovely - thank you Molly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:10 pm  (#13) 
Global Moderator

You are welcome...now get at it. :teeth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:06 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

:bowdown Yes Mo :bowdown :hehe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:39 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:49 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Wow Erisian. If you look at that kinda crosseyed it almost looks like cracked glass. No kidding. Try it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:05 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

cool result, erisian! looks like graffitti on a downtown store's security door. you'd probably need a press and texture plate to get that pattern in the metal, though, it's too deeply imprinted to be made by a hammer. (said the grumpy amateur silversmith as she turned the piece over in her hands with a critical eye. just kick her on the shins if she's being too fussy ;) )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:02 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you AnMal. I tried not to overdo the effect but I see what you mean. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:23 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

hm, the voronoi script is 32bit... is there a version for Win7 64 bit somewhere ?