It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [tutorial] Making a speed gauge
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:34 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hi!
Now i bring to you this new (Ps based) tutorial, how to make a valve or speed gauge in Gimp, from scratch.

Here it is

And here's the tutorial

If you have trouble with the moon shapes:

1. in a new layer draw a circle selection using the ellipse selection Tool and fill it in white, using the bucket tool or the brush.
(For this, you can recover the selection from the path you saved before, or try to make a fresh new selection th same size the circle of the gauge).
2. Deselect pressing CTRL+SHIFT+A
3. With the Ellipse tool draw again a circle selection BUT now try to leave a piece of the white circle unselected (this will be the moon), play with the selection size in order to get the moon shape unselected, and the rest of the white circle must be inside your selection (Try the make a bigger selection than the gauge circle and move it to the right side of the gauge circle)
3. Once you got the moon unselected just erase your selection (the rest "not moon" white circle). THIS IS THE SMALLER MOON

For the BIGGER MOON...

4. You need to repeat the earlier steps, and try to make a thicker moon, like three or four times the thick of the small moon.
Once you have it...

4.1 apply a gaussian blur filter, (i previously colorized the moon just for a better look in the tutorial for this step, but it's not neccesary).
4.2. Recover the selection from the path and inverse it, [menu select>inverse] (or do the same thing of step 1) this is for erase the external border of the bigger moon
4.3. Erase this selection for fit the blurred moon inside the gauge circle.

5*. Use the Scale tool (Shift+T) for fit both moon layers to the gauge circle in case you need a better fit of them,
*BUT if you did it right, you don't have to do this step

6. Just adjust both layers opacity and you are done.

I hope you find it useful.

An easier way for doing the metal ring...

Step 1: Make the circle selection using the Ellipse tool (E) and pressing Shift for getting a perfect circle. (don't forget to save it as a path).
Step 2: Create a new transparent layer [Menu Layer>New] OR typing Ctrl+Shift+N OR in the Layer Dock (You get it pressing Ctrl+L) just clik in the New Layer Button.
Step 3: Draw a Blend with the Blend tool (L) Gradient FG to BG, Linear shape and select 2 shades of gray: one medium gray and the other almost white.
Step 4: Now go to [Menu Select>Shrink] and type like 25 or 30 px and accept. Your selection will shrink and let you a metal border outside.
Step 5: Draw the blend again but in opposite direction.
Step 6: Skrink again the selection but now use a minor pixel value.
Step 7: Erase the selection pressing Delete or with the Eraser tool (shift+E)

Please check out my other tuts!! =D

Last edited by meowhetfield on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: [tutorial] Making a speed gauge
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:00 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

That is awesome, thanks for sharing your tutorial with us. :coolthup

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:36 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Very nice tutorial, thanks! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:48 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Very cool! Love that background hex pattern.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:46 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I don't understand but what is the point of making a tutorial as an image? Other than that its great L:D

"In the face of adversity, there's three things: fly, freeze or fight; We're choosing to fight..."- Guy Boucher, Tampa Bay Lighting Head Coach

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:49 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Awesome tutorial. Yours are always beautifully presented.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:09 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

ZWard117 wrote:
I don't understand but what is the point of making a tutorial as an image? Other than that its great L:D

Perhaps it just looks better than plain text considering it was posted on DA. Lot of stuff done that way there so maybe it's just a page taken from the DA "book" when it comes to presentation methodology. I kinda like it for the most part but IMO more detail is needed to fully explain some of the steps. That said, it's still a great job.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:15 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I'm having trouble with the moon shapes. I need a more detailed explanation of this part. I also think it would be a good idea to tell people when to add a new layer - this isn't always obvious.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:51 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

The result is very professional!
I love the way you present the tutorials.
Gracias!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:00 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

The border selection it's a very tricky way to do it, heres an alternative way (easier) of how you do the metal ring....

Step 1: Make the circle selection using the Ellipse tool (E) and pressing Shift for getting a perfect circle. (don't forget to save it as a path).
Step 2: Create a new transparent layer [Menu Layer>New] OR typing Ctrl+Shift+N OR in the Layer Dock (You get it pressing Ctrl+L) just clik in the New Layer Button.
Step 3: Draw a Blend with the Blend tool (L) Gradient FG to BG, Linear shape and select 2 shades of gray: one medium gray and the other almost white.
Step 4: Now go to [Menu Select>Shrink] and type like 25 or 30 px and accept. Your selection will shrink and let you a metal border outside.
Step 5: Draw the blend again but in opposite direction.
Step 6: Skrink again the selection but now use a minor pixel value.
Step 7: Erase the selection pressing Delete or with the Eraser tool (shift+E)

Hope you find it useful ;).

Last edited by meowhetfield on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:19 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I found the ring easy to follow but the other way looks good too. I've got this far. I used G'MIC for the dots so it looks a bit different to yours.

I've been looking at your work on Deviantart and it is excellent. I particularly like this one.
http://kristinahetfield.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=96#/d313mxi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:52 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Sorry i missed your question before hahaha...

For the moon shapes you can follow the next method:

1. in a new layer draw a circle selection using the ellipse selection Tool and fill it in white, using the bucket tool or the brush.
(For this, you can recover the selection from the path you saved before, or try to make a fresh new selection th same size the circle of the gauge).
2. Deselect pressing CTRL+SHIFT+A
3. With the Ellipse tool draw again a circle selection BUT now try to leave a piece of the white circle unselected (this will be the moon), play with the selection size in order to get the moon shape unselected, and the rest of the white circle must be inside your selection (Try the make a bigger selection than the gauge circle and move it to the right side of the gauge circle)
3. Once you got the moon unselected just erase your selection (the rest "not moon" white circle). THIS IS THE SMALLER MOON

For the BIGGER MOON...

4. You need to repeat the earlier steps, and try to make a thicker moon, like three or four times the thick of the small moon.
Once you have it...

4.1 apply a gaussian blur filter, (i previously colorized the moon just for a better look in the tutorial for this step, but it's not neccesary).
4.2. Recover the selection from the path and inverse it, [menu select>inverse] (or do the same thing of step 1) this is for erase the external border of the bigger moon
4.3. Erase this selection for fit the blurred moon inside the gauge circle.

5*. Use the Scale tool (Shift+T) for fit both moon layers to the gauge circle in case you need a better fit of them,
*BUT if you did it right, you don't have to do this step ;)

6. Just adjust both layers opacity and you are done.

I hope you find it useful.

Erisian wrote:
I'm having trouble with the moon shapes. I need a more detailed explanation of this part. I also think it would be a good idea to tell people when to add a new layer - this isn't always obvious.

and thanks for watching my doodles at dA :B :gimp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:09 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you. It all seems obvious now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:06 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:

Thanks to YOU!! =D

Hey i've been looking your fractals.... im so in love with this one... it is just sick =).
Which soft u used??

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:16 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

ZWard117 wrote:

Actually it's a way easier to order text and make it to "check" with the image, you save space, and plus... anyone can save it without need to create another file like a Word document to save it.... i hate that, also you can add a background or signature or just the images without the need of upload them one by one, obviously it lacks of explanation in every step, but you have the comment section for that ;)

BTW, thanks for watching! =D and in case you need help, just ask ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:36 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

meowhetfield wrote:
Erisian wrote:

Thanks to YOU!! =D

Hey i've been looking your fractals.... im so in love with this one... it is just sick =).
Which soft u used??

Glad you like them. That one is one of my favourites and I think I did it with Tierazon and Gimp. I've got so many fractal programs I can't remember which one but most of the 2D ones were done with Tierazon. You're welcome to take a copy if you want. The only thing I ask with my work is that it is not used commercially and if you display it anywhere you make it clear that it is not your own. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:43 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

I had a few problems with this and it didn't turn out perfect but I learnt some new things in the process. Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:26 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Hi , Definitely a tut for advanced Gimp folk. The directions are vague and really only give broad directions. For instance in your tut your pictures show drop shadows in places but there is no mention of where or how to do that. I guess it was your intention for people to follow an idea rather than a precise workflow.
Having said that, I really enjoyed the challenge to come up with something like what you have done. So thank You.
Here is my interpretation of your tut.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:55 am  (#19) 
Global Moderator

Wow, how much more perfect can you get than that. KUDO's Wbool.

Edit: Ooops, I didn't see yours Erisian, very good KUDO's to both of your

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:24 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you Molly. It was difficult but what did come out right I'm pleased with.

Nice work Wbool.