It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to Make Cheapskate Christmas Gifts
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:49 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Not sure if this really qualifies as a tutorial but I had to put it someplace. I know it's August and Christmas seems a long way off but it'll be here sooner than you think. Here's an idea born of two other ideas combined. I'm sorry this does not include screenshots because my capture program is acting up. I think you will be able to figure it out because it is really so simple a child could do it.

How to Make a Cheapskate Christmas Gift

Step 1.
Save all your empty toilet paper rolls from now until the week before Christmas. No it's not a typo, I said toilet paper rolls, and if you don't want to wait until Christmas to try this out I won't tell anyone.

Step 2.
About a week or so before Christmas, start collecting an assortment of small, individually wrapped Christmas candies like peppermints, Hershey' Kisses and of course Tootsie Rolls.

Why Tootsie Rolls you say? Well, while I agree that it doesn't sound like Christmas candy, the Toosie Rolls are an absolute must for this task as you will understand in just a sec.

Step 3.
Find some really cheap and really thin 8 1/2 x 11 white printing paper. Thin like wrapping paper. Load about 10 or 15 sheets into your printer.

Step 4.
Download the attached zip file with the two image files and study the two images carefully before choosing which one to use, then print out one or two for practice. Trim the top and bottom of the printed image with a pair of scissors. (If you are lettting your kids help make these, be sure it the kind that's not pointy on the ends)

Step 5.
Mix up all the candy in a large bowl, then go get all those toilet paper rolls that have been piling up in your closet, sock drawer, or wherever you stashed them and puthem in a pile on the floor or table or wherever you want to work. Now, find a glue stick and smear some glue all over the outside of one of the toilet paper rolls.

Tip: Stick two fingers inside the roll and spread them out to hold the roll while spreading the glue.

Step 6.
Take one of the trimmed printouts and wrap it around the toilet paper roll so that the lettering runs lengthwise on the roll. Start by placing the top of the printout centered on the roll horizontally and then just wrap it around. Put a little glue under the edge of the last part of the paper (the bottom edge) then hold it down for about a minute so that it will stay glued down.

Step 6.
Twist the paper on one end of the toilet paper roll. (kinda like a Tootsie Roll looks like) Now, grab a small handfull of those mixed candies you bought and load the tube until it is full. (try not to eat too many yourself or there won't be enough to make all the gifts)

Twist the other end to seal the "package" and you now have a cheap gift for the grandkids. You may find that the adults will actually enjoy this as much as the kids depending of course on which image you choose to work with.

Now if you are wondering what in the heck all this is about, just download the zip file, open the image files and all will be revealed.

Don't worry, only one of the files is rated PG so you don't have to chase the kids away from the computer screen as you open the files.

Have fun and let me know if you need anymore ideas for cheap gifts.

Attachments:
Tootsie Roll.7z [317.13 KiB]
Downloaded 427 times

Post subject: Re: How to Make Cheapskate Christmas Gifts
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:58 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

:rofl Thanks Drac. I think you should be the world's president. :hehe

Post subject: Re: How to Make Cheapskate Christmas Gifts
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:08 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Yeah, right. That's gonna happen. Uh-huh. Wanna buy a bridge? :mrgreen: