It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuzzy Felt
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:21 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

This tutorial is a request to be shown how to create something similar to the link posted

Fuzzy Felt Image

Although we wont be creating the above image, this tutorial will show you how a basic shape, as done in the above pic is achieved.

Before we start you will need to download and install the texture below into your pattern folder, which you should find somewhere like this.

file:///home/user/.gimp-2.6/patterns/

Attachment:
Felt 02.pat [1 MiB]
Downloaded 946 times

Open gimp and create a new Image doesn't really matter what size, but I'll be using 512px * 512px, then fill this layer with Green "008000".
Create a new layer and fill this layer with the download pattern, select this layer and change layer mode to "Grain Merge" and Opacity to 75%
then go layers>merge down. Turn off the background layer.

Create a new black layer and call it "Shape Mask" on this layer draw any shape using the selection tools and fill selection with white. Don't remove the selection just yet.

Go to your brush dialogue window and select the brush "Pencil Sketch ( 16 * 16 ) and change spacing to 1.

If your version of gimp dosen't included this brush then you can download the file below and place the brush into your brush folder.

Attachment:
SketchBrush-16.gih [1.58 KiB]
Downloaded 572 times

Go to your selection window Dialogue and click the paint along path icon Image in the new pop up window select "Stroke with paint tool" make sure paint tool is set to Paintbrush then click stroke. Go select>None.

Go edit>copy then turn off that layer, Create a new Layer called "Shape Colour" and fill with desired colour. Go Layer>Mask>Add Layer Mask, then go edit>Paste into and click the anchor in the layers dialogue to anchor layer in place.

Create a new Layer called "Shape texture" and fill with the felt pattern.Go Layer>Mask>Add Layer Mask, then go edit>Paste into and click the anchor in the layers dialogue to anchor layer in place. Change layer mode to "Grain Merge" and Opacity to 75%.

Just make sure the only layers you have on are the layers named "Shape Colour" and "Shape Texture" then go Edit>Copy Visible then Edit>Paste As>New Layer.

Make sure this new layer is selected and then go Filters>Light and Shadow>Drop Shadow, Change X and Y settings to 2 and click ok.

Then merge the copied shape layer with the drop shadow layer and rename to "Shape", turn off all layers expect shape and background.

That it, you just have to create all the shapes you want in your image this way then just position them where you want.

P.S Esper I shall be expecting something from southpark :mrgreen:

Last edited by he4rty on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Fuzzy Felt
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:46 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you for the tutorial, he4rty!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:05 am  (#3) 
Retired Staff

I don't have anything called pencil sketch brushes in my brushes folder.

An image of your results at the beginning of the tutorial would be nice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:03 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the tut hearty, quite a fun technique:)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:05 pm  (#5) 
Retired Staff

Here are my results. I'm not sure if they are what you had in mind, he4rty, as I had to wing it in a couple places. You apparently are using gimp-v2.6 and gimp-v2.8 uses brushes differently.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:26 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

aaah, this was fun :)! like O i use 2.8 and didn't have the exact same brush. tried a similar one but the effect wasn't really what i wanted, so in the end i just randomly fuzzed some of the edges manually, without using the stroke selection (or in my case stroke path). but for O and all other 2.8-users: there's no problem following the tutorial unless you count finding the same brush he4rty used, no other differences that i could see!
Attachment:
anmal goes fuzzy felt.png
anmal goes fuzzy felt.png [ 369.91 KiB | Viewed 9296 times ]

thank you he4rty for the tutorial!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:56 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Sorry, hadn't realised the default brushes had changed from version to version, heres the brush needed you can download it at place into your brushes folder.

Attachment:
SketchBrush-16.gih [1.58 KiB]
Downloaded 458 times

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:01 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Nice results by the way.