It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ice Text Tutorial
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:50 am  (#1) 
Global Moderator

After doing this great video tutorial by tutor4u, found here, Video tutorial by tutor4u
I decided to make a text tutorial for those that prefer text.

This is my results, as I modified it a bit with less snow.

I recommend that you watch the video first so that you can actually see the steps.
Start with an image 2560 x 1440 - fill with black

Text - To add text, click text tool. :text
To change Font size, click on this button below.

and select Sans Bold Font, (or another fat font of your choice) size 800 pixels. color, white, (click the curved arrow,
to swap foreground color from black to white.

Click on Canvas, type text. Click move tool :move , and drag text into the center of your canvas, or use the alignment tool :alntool .
To round the corners to make the text thicker, click text layer > alpha to selection, this will outline the text. Click > select > Feather and type in 800 for the pixel amount

Turn off text layer by clicking the eye next to the layer.
Create new layer pressing this button :layertab

Click on bucket tool :bucket , make sure foreground is set to white and make sure whole selection is selected then click inside selected area.

Now we want to select the very outside of the text. To do that, select the by colour tool, :colsel click backgroud area, go up to select and choose invert, then fill in with white (again with your bucket tool)

Turn off the original layer by clicking on the eye button
Now we want the feather selection we had before...turn on the bottom text layer > alpha to selection, click on Select > feather and make sure it is set at 80, click OK
Now click on top layer and click delete, select NONE

Now we are going to add cracks in the ice by going to the flame filter. Set foreground to white. Create new transparent layer and call it Cracks. Click on the filters menu, Render > Nature > Flames. Move brightness slider to maximum 5.00
Click Edit button and on drop down menu, click bent

Click randomize button and keep clicking until you see one that you like, click OK. Click on Camera tab - move zoom tool to about 1 (one), click OK
Click Filters menu > Edge Detect > Sobel OK
Click Colors Menu > Invert. Now we have a layer to use for the cracks in the ice

We are going to copy this layer to the text layer by using the clone tool. :clone Select third layer from top, (under the dupe layer) right click > alpha to selection. Click on clone tool :clone Select top layer with the cracks.
In tool options, set brush to hardness .075, increase brush size to about the width of the text. Find a spot you like for the clone source and hold Ctrl, then click on that spot. Turn off layer with the cracks by clicking the eye, select the text layer below the crack layer.

Start painting on this layer with the clone tool.

Select NONE.

Now we will add some snow caps.
Add new transparent layer and name it snow caps, click the free select tool, :freesel Draw outline of snow cap on the G

Click on bucket tool make sure FG is on white and fill cap with white.
Now we will add a shadow under the snow caps by using the airbrush tool :airbrush Change foreground to black change opacity slider to 50% reduce the size of air brush a bit by using the size slider. Place a few bits of shadow under the snow cap, then select NONE.

Repeat these steps with all the letters, then select NONE

Now we will change the background color using a gradient. Click on blend tool :blend Set gradient from FG to BG, double click the FG color and type in 145ed7 OR a color of your choice. The FG color is now blue and the BG should stay white. Select your bottom Black layer. Use your cursor, click and pull down from top of arrow to bottom as seen below.

We are almost done, if you want snow, add a new layer and call it snow flakes, move this layer to the top by holding shift down and the little green up arrow. Now fill this new layer with black by using the bucket tool

Go to Filters > Noise > Move valve slider all the way to the right, (I didn't quite move mine that far because I wanted less snow), your choice. Press OK
Now click Filters > Light & Shadow > sparkle, set spike points to 10 to make some of the snow flakes brighter, Click OK

Set layer mode to Screen

That's it folks
PDF attached below.

Attachments:
ice-text-tute-by Molly.pdf [1.47 MiB]
Downloaded 430 times

Post subject: Re: Ice Text Tutorial
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:58 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

oh cool, molly, you made it into a full blown forum tutorial !
i was expecting a few notes, when you said text tutorial

one thing i do not totally get, when i followed this text effect, was the bit with the clone tool
it worked and everything....but why ??
does the selected clone area still follow my movements on the invisible flame-fractal layer ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:08 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Thanks Esper.
As far as your question, I am new to this particular clone exercise. I have used the clone to play around with filling in areas etc, but I have never painted with it on another layer. It is amazing.

You could always try it with the flame-fractal, maybe you just might come up with something fantastic. This GIMP never ceases to amaze me as what all it can do.

Maybe someone that has used it more may have some better answers to this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:37 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

:coolthup Molly

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:55 pm  (#5) 
Global Moderator

thanks Odin now get at it. I know you don't get a lot of snow out there in the West.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:05 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Nice Job Molly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:25 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

molly wrote:
thanks Odin now get at it. I know you don't get a lot of snow out there in the West.
We keep it close by on the ski hills.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:11 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Here is my results

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:17 am  (#9) 
Global Moderator

I love what you did he4rty. I like the way you piled the snow.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:17 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Looks cool. :hehe Nice results Molly. Yours too he4rty.