It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wood Texture Tutorial
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:25 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Couple of people have asked for the steps on how the effect was achieved, so here they are.

1. Open a new image in gimp 512px * 512px and fill with white, the image is 512px because I want to make it a tilable pattern, Anything larger than this and gimp will automatically crop it to 512px when used a pattern.

2. Next create 3 new layers by either going Layers>New Layer or by clicking on the "New Layer" Icon in the Layers Dialogue window. Name layers "Mask","Wood Grain" and "Sinus". Select the Layer named "Mask".

3. Fill "Mask" Layer with white, Go Filters>Alpha to Logo>Bovination use the settings as shown below and click O.K. Two Layers would have also been created in running this filter that we don't need called "Blur" and "Background 1" so just delete these layers. Then Go Filters Blur>Gaussians Blur set to 5 and Click O.K.

ImageImage

4. Select the Layer Named "Wood Grain", Go Filters>Render>Clouds>Solid Noise and use the settings below.

5. Select the Layer Named "Sinus", Go Filter>Render>Pattern>Sinus. Use the settings below, the Hex codes for the two colours are "bfbfbf" and "404040".
Click O.k

ImageImage

6. Still with the Layer Named "Sinus" selected go Layer>Scale Layer and click on the Chain to unlink the two values and change Height to 1024 and click O.K. Then Go Filter>Blur>Gaussians Blur and with value still set to 5 click O.K. Then Go Layer>Layer to Image Size.

7. Select the Layer Named "Mask" and Go Edit>Copy, Select the Layer Named "Sinus" and Go Layer>Mask>Add Layer Mask, Leave it on the default settings and click Add. Then Go Edit>Paste Into and click the Anchor at the bottom of your Layers Dialogue Window to anchor floating Layer. Then Change the Sinus Layer Mode to "Grain Merge" and reduce the Opacity to 75%.

You should now have an Image similar to mine below.

8. With the Layer Named "Sinus" selected Go Layer>Merge Down, you should be left with just three layers "Background","Mask" and "Wood Grain" with the "Wood Grain" Layer selected Go Filter>Map>Make Seamless, This is the point in which our image is now tilable.

9. With the Layer Named "Wood Grain" still selected Go Layer>Duplicate Layer, repeat, Your layers should now read "Background","Mask","Wood Grain","Wood Grain copy" and "Wood Grain copy#1".

10. Turn off the Layer Named "Wood Grain copy#1" by clicking on the little eye Icon next to layer in the Layers Dialogue Window. Then Select the Layer Named "Wood Grain Copy".

11. With the Layer Named "Wood Grain copy" still selected Go>Colours>Invert, Then Go Filters>Blur>Gaussian Blur make sure values are still set at 5 and click O.K. Change Layer Mode to Dodge, you should now have something similar to the Image below.

12. With the Layer Named "Wood Grain copy" still selected Go Layer>Merge Down, Select the Layer Named "Wood Grain" and Go Layer>Duplicate Layer, Select the Layer Named "Wood Grain copy" and change Layer Mode to Multiply then Go Layer>Merge Down.Then select the Layer Named "Wood Grain" and change Layer Mode to Multiply.

13. Select the Layer Named "Mask" and then Go Layer>New Layer, Rename Layer to "Wood Colour" and click O.K. with this new Layer selected Fill with Colour "b25b28".

14. Select the Layer Named "Wood Grain copy#1", Make Layer Visible again By clicking on the Eye Icon next to the Layer then change Layer Mode to Overlay. You should be Looking Similar to the Image Below.

15. Go Edit>Copy Visible then Go Edit>Paste As>New Layer, you should now have a new Layer Named "Clipboard" and this should be the very top layer of your stack.

16. With the Layer Named "Clipboard" still selected Go Filters>Enhance>Unsharp Mask and use the settings below.

17. That is the texture finished so all we want to do now is save it as a pattern to use with the bucket fill tool. With the Layer Named "Clipboard" still selected Go Edit>Copy then Go Edit>Paste As>New Pattern, this will bring up a new window where we can enter our pattern name, see below. Click O.K.

18. If you now go to your Pattern Dialogue Window you should now find your new pattern.

That its, Special thanks to those who viewed my initial attempts and came up with suggestions to improve the outcome of the texture.

Last edited by he4rty on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Wood Texture Tutorial
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:19 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

My prayers were heard, thank you for the tutorial, he4rty!
Previously you said that the description of pattern making was in depth to try to explain it here, and I thought it was something really hard to do but your tutorial makes it simple and quite easy to follow. And you have included unsharp mask step, which i was not really sure about. Just a suggestion. Glad you liked it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:20 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

K1TesseraEna wrote:
My prayers were heard, thank you for the tutorial, he4rty!
Previously you said that the description of pattern making was in depth to try to explain it here, and I thought it was something really hard to do but your tutorial makes it simple and quite easy to follow. And you have included unsharp mask step, which i was not really sure about. Just a suggestion. Glad you liked it.

Thanks for the response, when I mentioned it about being to in depth to post here, I actually was refering to doing a quick text overview of the technique in the other thread. I liked the unsharp mask just to finish off as it does enhance the grain just enough, so thank you for the suggestion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:33 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Works like a charm. Thanks for a great tut.

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:09 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Last edited by YAFU on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:58 am  (#6) 
Global Moderator

Very nice tutorial he4rty. It looks like a good week-end project
I enclosed a pdf if anyone wants it.

Attachments:
He4rty-wood tutorial.pdf [653.16 KiB]
Downloaded 492 times

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:38 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

Could some one please tell me where I find bonivation? step three of tutorial above.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:02 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
Could some one please tell me where I find bonivation? step three of tutorial above.

Must be a typo, bovination is a standard installation filter, molly http://docs.gimp.org/en/script-fu-bovin ... alpha.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:05 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

molly, There's a typo in the tutorial. Is Filters> Alpha to Logo> Bovination

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:08 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

ek22 - nice results, liking the text effect.
Yafu - Love the keyring idea.
Molly - Thanks for doing the PDF, :oops: Sorry for the typo, all been corrected now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:37 pm  (#11) 
Global Moderator

Thank you for the great tute he4rty. piece of cake once I reread that one step. I will make it into something when my brain thinks of something. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:38 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Nice results Molly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:45 pm  (#13) 
Global Moderator

thank you, notice my new pattern name.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:05 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

he4rty:

Excellent tutorial. I was able to follow it along easily. Great amount of detail and information, yet not at all confusing. If I was ever in doubt about the results of following one of the steps, you used a very good amount of images so one could compare their results with yours. The nice thing about this tutorial is there are steps along the way that I can see myself wanting to experiment with. Good tutorials are always a jumping off point with lots of room for the user to then adapt for their own purposes. This is certainly one of them. Again, excellent tutorial.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:12 pm  (#15) 
Global Moderator

Just another mention, I played around with the results after I posted them with the iwarp like saulgoode suggested, I used the twirl, shrink and grow and made some interesting little twists in the wood.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:48 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the comments

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:57 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Used the wood texture here to make the floor.

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:23 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

ek22 - very spooky image.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:43 am  (#19) 
Global Moderator

It is cool, but I like that what looks like a wood chair rail above the spooks. It has such a nice rough texture.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:16 pm  (#20) 

A very well written, easy to follow tutorial! Thank you for taking the time to write this and including all of the screen shots. As a newbie to GIMP (former PaintShopProPhoto user), it's nice to be able to perform all the steps and see the tutorial through to completion, without getting hung up on some vagueness, omission or assumption on the author's part. Well done!!!