It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Another way to make a pencil portrait.
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:09 pm  (#41) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
I was trying to follow along with your tutorial, but most of the values for the filter seem to be different form what I can apply. There seem to be more values then I have inputs for.

So I can't complete the tutorial. :(

I do like your results, but the values need to be more clearly defined in order for me to get it right.

I'm going to try the tutorial again using the 'pencil portrail.pdf'. Maybe with the pdf, I'll be able to sort things out better.

The 'pdf' was good, but I could not complete the color-balance at the end, because I could not understand the settings needed to create the color in the tutorial.

Hi Wallace. 10 points of light i believe is "HighLights" that is what i used anyway. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:55 pm  (#42) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Rod wrote:
Hi Wallace. 10 points of light i believe is "HighLights" that is what i used anyway. :)

Hay Rod,
Thanks... I did figure it out anyway, but I became very frustrated during the process. I'll have to try the tutorial again for the 3rd time and post my results, after a short break for it.
I really what to make this tutorial work for me, because I would like to be able to use it with other things that I have in mind.

Here It is...

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:05 am  (#43) 
GimpChat Member

#Wallace:
When I had to translate the tutorial is possible that I wrong any concepts about gimp filters parameters because my gimp is in spanish and when I want to do a tutorial, if I'm hurry, I use google translator and not gimp in english.

As Rod well told points of lights means highlights in color balance. Also you can use Colorize and look for a sanguine tone.

My Gimp rides on Antergos (Arch), Linux Mint, Debian and Fedora

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:04 am  (#44) 
Administrator

jamac4k wrote:
#Wallace:
When I had to translate the tutorial is possible that I wrong any concepts about gimp filters parameters because my gimp is in spanish and when I want to do a tutorial, if I'm hurry, I use google translator and not gimp in english.

As Rod well told points of lights means highlights in color balance. Also you can use Colorize and look for a sanguine tone.

I figured it out, as you can see for the image I created using your tutorial. It's a good tutorial and it all was correct. I think I was just trying to hard to get it right. The image I made came out great.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:02 pm  (#45) 
Administrator

gramg wrote:
It was well worth your sticking to it to get it the way you wanted. Can't wait to see what you do with the technique next!

Yes it was and here's another...
This is a really great tutorial once I got it right. I had to adjust some of the G'Mic settings on this one, due to it's size, but I think it came out really great. I'm glad I stuck with it.

Muchas gracias Jamac4k :jumpclap

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:40 pm  (#46) 
Script Coder

script written for this tutorial/effect
more details here -> Jamac4k Pencil Portrait Script for GIMP