It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Micro Patterns
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:02 pm  (#1) 
Global Moderator

Found the link to making micro patterns while searching for GIMP plaid filters. I ran across some tutorials instead. I run Plaid Lite in Windows (which I rarely ever boot up) so I was seeking a Linux alternate. If you're interested in the tutorial for making plaid designs, you can view that here (it's fairly simple to do):

http://brainsongimp.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... plaid.html

But in the process of viewing THAT tutorial, I read more about making micro patterns. I've made some in the past, but never got fully motivated by exploring it further. What's cool about micro patterns is they give a realistic impression of cloth to your images (yeah, I know there are filters for that, too, but...) and very easy to make.

The twill pattern is off, btw, you'll need to OMIT the first two columns to get the proper diagonal pattern. If you use the example, it will zigzag (looks ugly, too).

Link for micro patterns can be found here:

http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-make-micro ... -photoshop

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Micro Patterns
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:04 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

The creator of the Plaid Lite plug-in has emailed me telling me he would look at making changes to the code to make the plug-in Wine compatible. Although its not a 100% Linux solution, its better than most, because most authors tell me they aren't planning any Linux versions, period. Maybe I should be asking them if they could make their plug-ins Wine compatible, instead.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:27 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I like the Easy Plaid tutorial. I will have to try it and the Micro Pattern idea. Here is a link to the tutorial with the method that I use for plaid patterns.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=450&start=0

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:44 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

If you could do diagonal gradient palettes image fills, how sweet that would be. Wait! Erm...maybe you can. Gonna check something real quick...

UPDATE:

Yep, sort of. After you make a smooth palette of the image in question, you run "Gradient from Image". But I was looking more toward keeping the lines crisp, not faded/blended together.

Oh oh oh, I had an accident that turned out to make it look pretty cool. I ran colors/map/palette map on each of my gradient fill layers, and it made it look awesome.