It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: Environment Mapped Text Tutorial
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:14 am  (#241) 
GimpChat Member

tried my own shading (instead of gausian blur) using the same env map I made before. made 5 copies of the text layer at different color curves to get the "extruded" look.
squished a bit...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:49 am  (#242) 
Global Moderator

runSPOTrun13 - I really like your results.

Did this tut a couple of years back when I first joined GC and before I discovered glass :hehe

It is always valuiable to refresh the memory, so here is my latest attempt, glass embellished of course -

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:27 am  (#243) 
GimpChat Member

What you did runSPOTrun13, it's a method nice for me to explore, interesting. :bigthup
OMG, your colourful glass it's unique, and the clear glass too. :coolthup

Gimp 2.10.30(samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:29 am  (#244) 
GimpChat Member

I just tried to make my own gold map. here's the result (with some layer stacking and shading...oh yeah and the wu-tang symbol hahaha) needs a tiny bit of touch up on the corners, then it'll be rockin.
Got the "sandwiched" look by making 5 layers progressivly darker and lining them up as a drop shadow, the adding a "clean" copy of the top layer on the bottom (the middle layers have been blurred after merging).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:23 am  (#245) 
GimpChat Member

OMG: I remembered your instructions for glass and gave it a try.
Attachment:
EnviroMap Text.jpg
EnviroMap Text.jpg [ 223.89 KiB | Viewed 2140 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:42 am  (#246) 
GimpChat Member

where is this "glass" tut? I obviously need to read and play with it... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:07 am  (#247) 
GimpChat Member

Go to our tutorial index: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5148 and go down the list to Oldmangrumpy and read his tutorials on glass. He has hints about how to get the shine, the vase one deals with colors, and the glass brumbies is about getting clear glass look. I find it all fascinating and will now always play with glass to an extent. All of his tutorials are very informative and artistic.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:15 pm  (#248) 
GimpChat Member

thanx @Pat625!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:40 am  (#249) 
GimpChat Member

Hi,

I've tried many times to follow this tutorial but can't get the same results. I'm relatively new to GIMP so please forgive me if I'm doing something stupid.
I keep failing at Step #9, my BumpMap doesn't appear in the menu at that point, there's only ever the name of the GIMP project I'm currently working on. I can only get the BumpMap to appear in that dropdown menu if I have the BumpMap layer selected, not the GIMP layer as instructed.
I've attached a screenshot of the result.
I don't know if it's relevant but as I create layers, the new ones are placed at the top of the Layer Dialogue. Yours looks like they appear at the bottom. I always drag them to the same positions as yours, at Step #4 as instructed, but wondered if the 'oppositeness' was an issue. (Don't think so, I've tried the opposite and still didn't get a Bumpmap in the menu).
I'd be really grateful if you could help me with where I might be going wrong with that BumpMap part.
I'm using Windows 7 and GIMP 2.8.18.

Attachment:
gimp-page0001.jpg
gimp-page0001.jpg [ 303.66 KiB | Viewed 2049 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:04 am  (#250) 
Global Moderator

Welcome to Gimp Chat, Tip57.
I haven't looked at your attachment yet but I doubt the opposite of the layers is your problem. Mine always get added to the top - I think it is a windows thing. If I remember correctly GnuTux used Linux.
About the bump map...Only thing i can think of is if you have tried it more than once you will get a different number for each one you do. The Bump map you are doing at the time should have the number next to it in the layers dialogue as well as the drop down list. You will have to wait for another answer if it still doesn't turn up.
I did one where you had to click on the 'transparent' background while adding light - that was still ticked next time and I had to make sure it was un-ticked be able to get bump maps at all.
Can't find the red EV I d/l ages ago so did a gold one. I used 2.8.18 to do this one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:03 am  (#251) 
GimpChat Member

Hi, Tip57 Welcome to Gimp Chat :)
I did some screen captures for the last steps in the tut, just if it helps you. My blur was high at 20px so more relief.
Also added some maps. :)

Attachments:
GIMP_the result.PNG
GIMP_the result.PNG [ 227.51 KiB | Viewed 2791 times ]
Maps+shots_E.zip [847.59 KiB]
Downloaded 174 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:56 pm  (#252) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Sallyanne and Isabella, really appreciate your help. I'm going to have another go at doing it in a while. I'll keep an eye out for the transparant background part, and I've downloaded your screenshots Isabella.
Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:42 pm  (#253) 
GimpChat Member

Tip, I hope that this another explanation, can be a bit clearer. Just try it. :)

Attachments:
Final Text.jpg
Final Text.jpg [ 55.46 KiB | Viewed 2778 times ]
Environment_Mapped Text.zip [370.83 KiB]
Downloaded 164 times

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:53 am  (#254) 
GimpChat Member

Please Tip, let me know if the last screenshots are clearer for you. If not, don't doubt to tell me and I will do something as step by step. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:08 am  (#255) 
GimpChat Member

Attachment:
Yay.jpg
Yay.jpg [ 27.16 KiB | Viewed 2765 times ]
sallyanne wrote:
Welcome to Gimp Chat, Tip57.
I haven't looked at your attachment yet but I doubt the opposite of the layers is your problem. Mine always get added to the top - I think it is a windows thing. If I remember correctly GnuTux used Linux.
About the bump map...Only thing i can think of is if you have tried it more than once you will get a different number for each one you do. The Bump map you are doing at the time should have the number next to it in the layers dialogue as well as the drop down list. You will have to wait for another answer if it still doesn't turn up.
I did one where you had to click on the 'transparent' background while adding light - that was still ticked next time and I had to make sure it was un-ticked be able to get bump maps at all.
[ Image ]
Can't find the red EV I d/l ages ago so did a gold one. I used 2.8.18 to do this one.

Thanks for your help Sallyanne, I've worked out why I wasn't creating BumpMaps - wahey!
I'd noticed on the tut that I always seemed to have an extra layer - when I make the original GIMP text layer, it creates two layers: a transparent background and a text layer. On the tut there was only ever one GIMP layer at the beginning. I'd noticed it but ignored it - what difference can a transparent background have? (Duh). Then re-noticed it when Isabella sent her screenshots - she was only treating one layer from the beginning too. So I merged my original text layer and - tada! - I was able to make a lovely bumpmap. Can't tell you how good that felt.
I feel very foolish now. Should I always be merging those two layers by default? (is there a default setting I should tinker with?) or was that just a step I'll now, with more experience, know to do in future because there'll be times I need those two layers separate?

Sorry for all the questions, but thank you for your kind help. I'm bumping like mad here now!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:16 am  (#256) 
GimpChat Member

Issabella wrote:
Please Tip, let me know if the last screenshots are clearer for you. If not, don't doubt to tell me and I will do something as step by step. :)

Hi Issabella,
Now I've worked out why I couldn't make bumpmaps (I should have merged my original text and background layers) I'm on a roll and very excited to try tinkering with different effects. Big thanks for the extra screenshots, I'm going to have a go at those too. The violet envmap is lovely - it was the colour for my first ever bumpmap! Love the rusty one too. Thanks so much for all your help.
Yours,
bumping and on a roll,
Tip

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:28 am  (#257) 
GimpChat Member

Tip, I feel happy you have the little problem solved. Good!

Remember that maps for environment effect, must be without alpha channel. I have more if you need. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:50 am  (#258) 
Global Moderator

Tip57 wrote:

Thanks for your help Sallyanne, I've worked out why I wasn't creating BumpMaps - wahey!
I'd noticed on the tut that I always seemed to have an extra layer - when I make the original GIMP text layer, it creates two layers: a transparent background and a text layer. On the tut there was only ever one GIMP layer at the beginning. I'd noticed it but ignored it - what difference can a transparent background have? (Duh). Then re-noticed it when Isabella sent her screenshots - she was only treating one layer from the beginning too. So I merged my original text layer and - tada! - I was able to make a lovely bumpmap. Can't tell you how good that felt.
I feel very foolish now. Should I always be merging those two layers by default? (is there a default setting I should tinker with?) or was that just a step I'll now, with more experience, know to do in future because there'll be times I need those two layers separate?

Sorry for all the questions, but thank you for your kind help. I'm bumping like mad here now!

:yes :yes happy dance :hi5
Glad you finally have it worked out. Yes it took me a bit to work that out too. GT probably didn't mention it because he would be used to people knowing what they had to do.
You will know in future. Many people put step by step in their tuts or show in their pictures what needs to be done. I know who will like your logo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13