It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Environment Mapped Text Tutorial
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:44 am  (#21) 
GimpChat Founder

Esper wrote:
i did some titanium

it would be great if the enviromap script could be ported into the lighting effects filter so that you could see the preview of what your text will look like, while you change the parameters of the environmentmap, but i guess thats not possible ?

Nice one, Esper! What kind of map did you use for that?

I like your suggestion and it could be done. Heck, anything could be done but developers have yet to include all the parameters for the Lighting Effects filter in the PDB, must less anything like what you suggest. It hasn't came to the point to where I've felt like I needed something bad enough to just hack it into a core GIMP plug-in myself but it might come to that. :hehe

I'd be happy if there was a way to tell GIMP to remember the last filter ran on each image, so I could just toggle between the images and do a Ctrl-f. I guess assigning a keystroke to a plug-in/script keeps you from having to wade though the menus to bring it up. I suppose I could dump the UI from a version of the script and just run it with a keystroke, which might be a useful option here. :smiley2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:58 am  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for a great tutorial, the results are really professional looking.

Here is my attempt after playing around for a while

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:03 am  (#23) 
Script Coder

The finished text was clear and sharp and I used the environment map to sample colorize a default pattern for a background ,the tute was a good reminder os what can be done with the lighting effects plugin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:07 am  (#24) 
GimpChat Founder

Wow! He4rty, your result is great and really pops on that focus blurred BG! :cool

Ummmmm
:homer
Chocolate

@Graechan - That looks great! You managed to get a lot of depth in your text and the BG is very cool. Would you mind sharing that one?

:hi5

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:10 am  (#25) 
Global Moderator

Oooh chocolate! Make us put on weight just looking at it:)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:58 am  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

I can't stop playing with this EnviroMap script. :mrgreen:

I call this one ...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:11 am  (#27) 
Global Moderator

Very nice tutorial
I will have another go at it tomorrow. Not sure why but my logo was degraded when I did the lighting effects again before I disabled the enviro map. So I stopped there and gave it a drop shadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:07 am  (#28) 
Global Moderator

That is what happened with mine too sallyanne.
I tried another one with a gold map and I am not happy with it. I will try it again with the original red-map.
Do these maps have to be named envmap? in order for them to work?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:24 am  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
Nice one, Esper! What kind of map did you use for that?
this one, plus a bit of color-curve

Attachment:
Titanium.png
Titanium.png [ 79.45 KiB | Viewed 2822 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:28 am  (#30) 
GimpChat Member

Molly - the only thing needed for the maps to work is they have to have no alpha channel, you can tell if a layer doesn't have an alpha channel because the layer name will be in bold type, if it is not then right click on your layer and select "Remove alpha channel" from the drop down menu, But I bet you already knew that.

Liking this effect so have just been playing around, for the environment map filled a layer with colour then ran a difference cloud over the top, once mapped to text following the tut it didn't half look like pearlescent paint, so added a new layer above and filled with a desaturated hurl and set layer to dodge, finally added some sparkles..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:53 am  (#31) 
GimpChat Member

Nice Tux. :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:12 pm  (#32) 
GimpChat Member

he4rty wrote:
Molly - the only thing needed for the maps to work is they have to have no alpha channel, you can tell if a layer doesn't have an alpha channel because the layer name will be in bold type, if it is not then right click on your layer and select "Remove alpha channel" from the drop down menu, But I bet you already knew that.

Liking this effect so have just been playing around, for the environment map filled a layer with colour then ran a difference cloud over the top, once mapped to text following the tut it didn't half look like pearlescent paint, so added a new layer above and filled with a desaturated hurl and set layer to dodge, finally added some sparkles..

[ Image ]

Very Awesome!! :jumpclap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:01 pm  (#33) 
Global Moderator

:mrgreen: Wow, thanks He4rty, yes I knew that but Lots of time I forget to look.
Yours is beautiful.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:05 pm  (#34) 
GimpChat Founder

molly wrote:
That is what happened with mine too sallyanne.
I tried another one with a gold map and I am not happy with it. I will try it again with the original red-map.
Do these maps have to be named envmap? in order for them to work?

No, they can be named anything. I'm not sure what else to suggest but to use the included map, as a test to see if there is an issue with the map you're using. Can you post an example of the emap you are using?

From what I can determine, the more file line detail in the emap, the larger the emap will need to be. Depending on which gradient is used, Hippie Blanket for example, needs to be larger than 400x400 in order for the surface of the object not to appear degraded or pixelated when mapped. On the other hand, if I use a gradient like "Golden" and the map is too large, I loose some of the shininess.

@her4ty, The metal flake paint effect is most excellent! :clap

@Rod, looks like you might have skipped #12. I don't see any of the highlights one normally gets after running the lighting filter on the emapped text.

I just made another discovery. The color and/or lightness of the original text/object you begin with, makes a big difference on the result you get when environment mapping, which makes sense. The lighter the text you start with, the lighter the result of the mapping will be.

I'm now wondering what happens when you start with multi-color or gradient text, rather than black. This discovery definitely requires more testing for results. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:56 pm  (#35) 
GimpChat Founder

he4rty wrote:
Liking this effect so have just been playing around, for the environment map filled a layer with colour then ran a difference cloud over the top, once mapped to text following the tut it didn't half look like pearlescent paint, so added a new layer above and filled with a desaturated hurl and set layer to dodge

The idea of metallic flake paint is such genius, I had to try it. Filing a layer with a gradient and then running the difference cloud is a brilliant idea too and it works so well as a map. I'm adding that as an option to the EnviroMap script. Thank you for taking this to the next level. :yes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:54 pm  (#36) 
Global Moderator

beautiful... :teeth It almost looks like you used the noise filter.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:47 pm  (#37) 
Global Moderator

I did the whole thing again step by step, except at the end I colorized it. I don't know why my letters turn out dull and indented, especially the P. The G is fine but I don't have the shine like yours Tux. :gaah

Attachments:
envmap_gold.jpg.tar.gz [60.56 KiB]
Downloaded 164 times
green-try.xcf [630.22 KiB]
Downloaded 145 times

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:22 pm  (#38) 
GimpChat Founder

Molly, one thing I see is that the BumpMap in the XCF you posted doesn't look right. It looks like you had a selection in place somewhere in there.

It should look like this..

You can invert the BumpMap, one way of the other, to get either an embossed or a chiseled effect.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:31 pm  (#39) 
Global Moderator

Mine did look like that after I did the 15 blur on it. I could only see it when the eye was turned on. I also tried it with a light gray text to see if it would make a difference

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:52 pm  (#40) 
GimpChat Founder

Yes. The BumpMap text was gray and clipped off at the bottom in the XCF you posted.

After restarting GIMP, can you do the tutorial exactly as written, through step #11 and post the XCF? Do Step #11 but not Step #12.

That should point us in the right direction.

Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next