It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animated Path Stroking/Paths Suite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:48 pm  (#1) 
Script Coder

This script will allow you to take paths and turn them into an animated hand-drawn look by choosing a couple of options. Here's a couple of samples (although this only scratches the surface on what can be done.) In addition to the main script, I've included several "supplemental" tools to help you with the process. The script can be downloaded here: Fencepost's Path Suite. Open the zip file and save the .scm file to your GIMP scripts folder (ie...C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\scripts). Refresh your scripts and you're ready to go.

Image Image

I plan on preparing some usage tips and posting them, but I don't have time at the moment to do that. However, I have prepared a couple of screenshots with some information to get you started.

This script was created as a gift to two individuals who have inspired me through their commitment to GIMP, their willingness to share knowledge, and dedication to artists all around the world.

First and foremost is ClayOgre. Like me, ClayOgre, whom I haven't seen online in awhile, had a fascination with animations and paths. When I first began scripting, he suggested that I try and figure out how to create scripts combining animations and paths. I laughed! No way it would ever happen. Well, here we are today with my very first animated path script. Thanks, CO, for your inspiration.

Secondly, and certainly not least, is to saulgoode. Saulgoode is a silent giant in the GIMP community. You never see much artwork produced by him, but the bestows on the GIMP community through his tutorials, scripts, understanding of programming and computers, and the inner-workings of GIMP is definitely "artwork!" Without his sharing of knowledge, I would never have attempted scripting.

My hats off to both of you for your inspiration! Thanks for all you do and I hope this script meets your satisfaction.

The scripts can be found at two locations (one for the animation and the other for the supplemental tools).

The scripts are found by right-clicking on a path in the path dialog and choosing the desired script:

Some other useful scripts to use in conjunction with mine:

Saulgoode's
Combine Background Script
Animation Settings Script

LIMN's
http://www.mediafire.com/?jzmre45q1oi (the split strokes script will let you separate all the strokes in a given path to individual paths)

Insanity Prevails
http://insanity-prevails.deviantart.com ... s-72632286

Open up a image (at this time it should be RGB/Grayscale) - haven't been able to figure out the painting for Indexed images yet.

Prepare a path(s) and you can begin. Pick a brush tool (can be paintbrush, eraser, smudge, airbrush, pencil, or dodge/burn tool. If you choose any other tool, it defaults to paintbrush), choose the desired brush, set the brush opacity, mode and run the script. When you open the animation script, you will see this window:

Starting at the top:

Choose the stroke (a stroke is when a path has more than one piece to it. For example, when you use fonts in many of the letters - a, e, p, q, etc. - have "holes" in them. The holes are created by a separate piece (stroke).
Choose the number of frames you want the animation to paint
I've included several paint/path options (see image below)

The options are generally straightforward, but here's a general description...

"Paint paths and add segments"
- This will paint the layers and add every segment created to the image. That way you can use them later if needed.
"Paint paths, but don't add segments" - Just paints the segments
"Don't paint paths, but add segments" - Pretty self-explanatory
Paint paths that have been previously segmented" - Select any path in the path list, tell it the number of frames to paint and it will do the rest.
"Paint by keyframes and add segments" - Let's say you want the animation to be at a specific location at a certain time, this option is for you! Pick the start/end point numbers for the path and run the script. If you don't know where the points are or what their ID number is, this is where the supplemental scripts come in handy.
"Paint by keyframes, but don't add segments" - Same as above without adding the segments.

Now, back to the main window options:

Add a copy of the final painted path segment to each layer above it in the layer stack. If end your painting on a layer below the top of the stack, this option will copy it up to the top so that your animation doesn't abruptly cut off after that. You can disable this feature.
The Start Point for keyframing.
The End Point for keyframing.
Color Method - Solid Color or Gradient
Choose the color/gradient to paint with
If you paint with a gradient, you need to specify a distance or it won't come out right.
Paint Method (only used with the paintbrush and eraser) - Constant or Incremental. See the GIMP manual for a description

Some options can only be used in scripts through the script interface, some can't be used at all. The ones required to be done through scripting have been included in the script. The others (and there are only a few) can be changed in the appropriate brush dialog.

Fade out (paintbrush only) - the length of the brush stroke before fading. This doesn't lend itself to the animation process at this time because it isn't set up to increment. I may add that to the code later.
Airbrush/Smudge pressure or Dodge/Burn Exposure - This option sets the parameters for the tools listed.
Eraser hardness or Dodge/Burn - Another option that works depending on which tool you've selected.
Dodge/Burn Method - whether to paint on Shadows, Midtones, or Highlights

The brush spacing must be set here:

The brush opacity and paint mode could have been scripted, but I was running out of room on the script window.

Now, for a brief discussion of the supplemental tools.

Path Details - Gives you some basic information about the path/stroke (length, number of points, if the path is too long to be painted with the script - you may have to split up longer paths, etc.)
Path Direction - Paths are always stroked in the direction they are created. But, what if you didn't create the paths manually? You don't know the direction. This script will paint the direction on a new layer for you. The starting point will be green and it will transition to red. The script will also tell you if the path is closed.
Reverse Path Direction - If you want a path to move in the opposite direction than it does, run this script. A new path will be added with the points reversed.
Show Point - Need to know where a specific point is on a path? This script will do it. Very handy for keyframing.
Stroke Delete - Lets you delete a stroke in the path. Just specify it's number.

Well, that's all for now. I'll prepare more later. Let me know if you have any questions or need more information. If you find any errors in the script or would like to see it improved, suggestions are welcome.

Enjoy! Cheers!

Art

I'd rate you as an upper-middle-lower-mod with pro-novice-inter tendencies.....and a twist of lime! Of course, my rating scale is completely objectively subjective, but ALWAYS consistently inconsistent.

Last edited by fencepost on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Animated Path Stroking/Paths Suite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:33 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

It's probably just my browser but I can't get the download button to do anything. It goes in when clicked but no download.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:41 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Greeeeeeeeeeeat fence, thanks for your tutorial. I have obtained my signature with your awesome script "animated path suite Stroking". :tyspin

Last edited by d4rkheart on Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:57 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Where do I find the script on this page?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:02 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

There should be a download button top right of the page Molly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:08 pm  (#6) 
Global Moderator

I looked and looked and looked, don't see any except a couple that took me to some wot links

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:10 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:13 pm  (#8) 
Script Coder

Erisian wrote:
It's probably just my browser but I can't get the download button to do anything. It goes in when clicked but no download.

The file is so small that you may not even notice it downloaded. Check the location of where your downloads are stored to see. If you still can't get it, I'll upload it here.

Molly, here's the download link: Image

I'd rate you as an upper-middle-lower-mod with pro-novice-inter tendencies.....and a twist of lime! Of course, my rating scale is completely objectively subjective, but ALWAYS consistently inconsistent.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:14 pm  (#9) 
Script Coder

Molly, did Erisian and I help you?!?!?! LOL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:17 pm  (#10) 
Script Coder

d4rkheart wrote:
Greeeeeeeeeeeat fence, thanks for your tutorial. I have obtained my signature with your awesome script "animated path suite Stroking". :tyspin

Love it! Great work!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:20 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

fencepost: this has to be tried out! :coolthup

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:35 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

FP - I checked my downloads and it's not there. I have been having serious problems with my internet tonight - more than just the usual slow mobile broadband.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:42 pm  (#13) 
Script Coder

AnMal wrote:
fencepost: this has to be tried out! :coolthup

Make sure you post your results!

Erisian wrote:
FP - I checked my downloads and it's not there. I have been having serious problems with my internet tonight - more than just the usual slow mobile broadband.

Sorry about that. I've attached the zip file below. If you still have problems, I'll post the code.

Attachments:
Animated_Path_Stroking_Script_by_fence_post.zip [13.95 KiB]
Downloaded 176 times

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:49 pm  (#14) 
Script Coder

Anmal I'm sure you will enjoy this script: Great to see your OK :jumpclap

d4rkheart how did you create your text path?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:02 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Graechan view this little videotutorial
https://www.box.net/shared/atxithnw7nnaxaild3m8
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8652&start=10#p111947

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:08 pm  (#16) 
Script Coder

Thank you for that d4rkheart

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:13 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

fencepost wrote:
Sorry about that. I've attached the zip file below. If you still have problems, I'll post the code.

Thank you FP. I've downloaded it now. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:40 pm  (#18) 
Script Coder

Fencepost this is the link for sg-combine-bg from Saulgoodes repository :bigthup

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:47 pm  (#19) 
Global Moderator

fencepost wrote:
Molly, did Erisian and I help you?!?!?! LOL

yes thank you both. I saw that download button but I thought that was for that list of stuff below it. Anyway got it all tucked away now.
I have been wanting to know how to paint that little fairy for a long time. I didn't know you had it FP. It looks hard.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:13 pm  (#20) 
Script Coder

Graechan wrote:
Fencepost this is the link for sg-combine-bg from Saulgoodes repository :bigthup

Thank you! I'll update the original post.

molly wrote:
I have been wanting to know how to paint that little fairy for a long time. I didn't know you had it FP. It looks hard.

Well, a couple of years ago it wasn't hard, but I can't say it'd be easy today. I'm older now! If I can find my base files, I'll let you know how I did it!