It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Simple Animated Shapes
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:04 pm  (#1) 
Script Coder

ImageImage

In this tutorial, I will show you how create the following simple animations using my animated path stroke script, which can be found here>>>>>>: Fencepost's Path Suite.

The script zip file was updated today (December 26, 2013) to include brushes from GIMP 2.6. GIMP 2.8 no longer uses them, but in order to run the script effectively without having to modify the script itself, please add the brushes to your GIMP brushes folder here: C:/Program Files/GIMP-2.0/share/gimp2.0/brushes There have been no changes to the script, so if you have the previous version, there is no need to install it.

While the animations in this tutorial are simple examples of what can be accomplished with the script, the possibilities are great.

Let's Begin!

Step 1

Open a new image (200 X 200) with a white layer. Add a second layer filled with white.

Step 2

Add some guides to your image to help with placement of the paths. This isn't absolutely necessary, but I did it for teaching purpose.

Go to Image > Guides > New Guides By Percent... The following dialog will appear:

Add the following vertical guides (you'll have to add them one by one): 50%, 60%, 80%, and 90%. Add the following horizontal guides: 10%, 20%, 40%, and 50%.

Your image should now resemble this:

Make sure that Show Guides and Snap to Guides are turned on:

Step 3

Select your Path Tool Button Image

and click at the following locations. When you get to number 5 hold down the Ctrl key while clicking the mouse button to close the path. The order you place your points is the direction a path moves.

Step 4

Let's start our animation!

Activate your top layer by clicking on it in the layer dialog window:

In the brush dialog, select your brush and adjust the spacing as necessary. I chose Brush "Circle Fuzzy (07)" and set the spacing to 1.0

Right-click on the path we just created in the Paths Dialog window and choose Animated Path Stroking...

The following window will appear. I won't cover the all the options in the dialog window (only those we need to use); however, I encourage you to experiment with them later to see what the script can do.

For this animation, we will tell the script that we want to paint on 15 layers (since the second layer of the stack is active, it will start painting on this layer.) The script uses the current active paint tool (in this case the paintbrush) and the chosen brush.

Next, under Paint and Path Options we'll just tell it to paint the individual path segments, but don't add them to the image. If you needed them for later, you could add them, but we don't.

Hit OK.

The following animation should result. You can view it by going to Filters > Animation > Playback...

Step 5

Next, let's rotate our path for petal #2. Double-click the rotate tool

and click on the path button, as shown:

Now, click on the image with the rotate tool and enter the following information. Choose Rotate after you're done.

Step 6

With the path rotated, again activate the 2nd layer from the bottom in the layer stack (you should now have 16 layers):

Right-click on the path in the path dialog and run the Animated Path Stroking script again using the same settings as before.

Your outcome should look like this:

Step 7

Repeat steps 5 & 6, two more times and your animation should look like so:

Pretty simple, eh?!

Next, let's reverse a couple of the way the petals are drawn. As you may recall, the way a path is drawn is the direction it will be painted. For this animation, we'll use a couple of other scripts included in my path suite, to simplify things a little.

Step 1

Follow the steps above until you get your first animated petal:

Step 2

Add a reversed copy of the path to the image. We already know what direction the original path goes, but what if we didn't know? Right-click on the path in the path dialog and choose, Path Direction... (Use of the Path Direction script is optional and you can skip directly to Step 3. Currently, the script is written in English only and those using a different translation of GIMP may cause an error when running the Path Direction script. Thank Carlos Diniz for bringing this to my attention.)

A dialog will appear, requesting which stroke are you wanting to find the direction of. A stroke is an individual path. A path may contain several individual strokes. However, since we only created on stroke in our path, so leave it at the default of 1. If you choose a stroke number that doesn't exist, the script will give you an error.

A new layer will be added to your image. It will show the direction of the path (green is the starting point and red the ending point.) The script will also tell you if the path is closed or not. Just because 2 ends of a path are right next to (or on top of) each other, does not mean it's closed. Your image should look like this:

To reverse the direction of a path, you can simply Right-Click on the path and choose Reverse Path Direction...

A dialog will appear requesting which stroke to reverse. Again, there's only one stroke, so click OK.

A new path will be added to the list.

Let's test it's direction (Right-Click on the new path and choose Path Direction...There's only one stroke in this path so leave it at 1 and click OK). A new layer will appear showing that it's been reversed. Remember green is the beginning and red the ending.

Reversed path direction: Image

Original path direction: Image

Now delete the two "direction layers" that were added. (Don't delete the reversed path, however.)

Step 3

Activate the 2nd layer from the bottom in the animation.

Step 4

Now, activate the original path in the paths dialog

and rotate it 180 degrees using the same method described in Step 5 above.

Step 5

Run the Animated Path Stroking script using the same settings as before. You should now have this:

Step 6

Activate the 2nd layer from the bottom as shown before.

Step 7

Activate the reversed copy of the path:

and, using the rotate tool, rotate it 90 degrees.

Step 8

Run the Path Stroking script again using the same settings.

Step 9

Repeat Steps 6 - 8 one last time (using the reversed path rotated 180 degrees) and your final animation will look like so:

Well, I hope this tutorial has been informative and you learned about some new tools. Make sure you show me your results. Once you understand the techniques, try experimenting with your own paths.

Cheers!

Art

I'd rate you as an upper-middle-lower-mod with pro-novice-inter tendencies.....and a twist of lime! Of course, my rating scale is completely objectively subjective, but ALWAYS consistently inconsistent.

Last edited by fencepost on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Simple Animated Shapes
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:06 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Thanks for posting that one Fencepost, I remember doing that one before and it was a fun one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:11 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

I can see I'm going to be busy with your new batch of tutorials. :)

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:40 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Very cool! :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:41 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I like how you can also use different brushes such as the animated vine brush. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:51 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

fencepost, I tested your script following the tut "Simple Animated Shapes" and it worked correctly, but the step in which you taught the way to reverse the path an error message appeared. The problem is that when GIMP is translated, the gradient's name automatically changes which prevented your script to find the gradient "FG to BG (HSV clockwise hue)." As this gradient is not important to the functioning of the script, but only for demonstrative effect of inversion, suggest you put an alert in the tutorial for those people who are using the GIMP in other countries that do not use the English language. The same happened with a script that had a brush "clipboard" which in Portuguese, was translated by "área de transferência." I reported this and the script has been adapted to other languages​​.
Translation of the error message: Error to execute fp-script-fu-vector-direction. ...... The gradient 'FG to BG (HSV clockwise hue) was not found.'

Attachments:
Error message FG to BG.png
Error message FG to BG.png [ 17.07 KiB | Viewed 15474 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:49 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:56 pm  (#8) 
Script Coder

Great work, everyone! Thanks for trying it out. @Carlos, I added the "optional" statement regarding the Path Direction script. Thanks for bringing it to my attention and my apologies for the issue.

I'd rate you as an upper-middle-lower-mod with pro-novice-inter tendencies.....and a twist of lime! Of course, my rating scale is completely objectively subjective, but ALWAYS consistently inconsistent.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:17 pm  (#9) 
Global Moderator

Nice job Tony.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:41 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Can anybody explain dialogue box of this script. Or does anybody know how to start different alphabet paths in sequence not simultaneously?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:30 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

It finally did work.

Attachments:
Safar Bakhair Animation Low.gif
Safar Bakhair Animation Low.gif [ 122.62 KiB | Viewed 5249 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:26 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Very very nice plugin ;-)

In combination with "Simple path shapes" I got this one as (simple) example:
Attachment:
Pik_annimated.gif
Pik_annimated.gif [ 54.25 KiB | Viewed 5236 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:04 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

I had to try this one again FP! :)
Very cool script.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:23 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you for a very simple and creative and clear tutorial. I am, due to inexperience,not able to find the link for downloading the script either here or in Devian Art
Please help me.
-Eureka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:13 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

There was a link in first post that would have taken you to DeviantArt page and the downloads are in right upper corner.
But I attached it for you, works in 2.8. I'm pretty sure it won't work in 2.10

Attachments:
animated_path_stroking_script_by_fence_post-d2ivx82.zip [14.21 KiB]
Downloaded 209 times
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:02 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Nidhogg, Thank you very much. I tried the link but I got error message.
-Eureka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:30 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Never knew about this one. It would make a good map route animation. Yes, it works fine in Gimp 2.10x.

Attachment:
map.gif
map.gif [ 905.87 KiB | Viewed 4641 times ]