It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Logo Toolbox V2.x Tutorial (updated)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:06 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Founder

Several members have requested a small tutorial on some of the features of this script, so I thought I'd post a brief overview, along with a few tips and tricks to help get you going.

Download Logo Toolbox V2.x Here

As with most Logo Scripts, you have two menu options with Logo Toolbox. Under File/Create/Logos (gimpchat.com)/Logo Toolbox, you'll find the "Create" menu, which allows the full entry of Text, along with line & letter spacing parameters. You would choose this option when you want to create new text or dings. When you want to work with preexisting text, images or selections, you would choose Filters/Alpha To Logo/Logo Toolbox.

In addition to entering text, the "Create" menu allow you to select all the features of Logo Toolbox and create your Text Logo with a single click.

Below is the default Layer stack with all layers generated.

Layers Created By Logo Toolbox V2.0

Text Layer
Logo Toolbox will first create a text layer using the selected font. The text will take on the color of the specified Fill Color. This text layer remains an unchanged part of the layer stack, just in case you want to use it on the final image or use it later with the Alpha to Logo section of the script. I find it handy to use the "File/Create" option to quickly produce the text layer I need, then I move on to the Alpha to Logo section of the script. Pressing Ctrl-z or clicking on Edit/Undo will leave only the image and the text layer in place, to use as you wish.

Fill Layer
The 2nd layer Logo Toolbox will always create is the Fill Layer. The script will make a copy of the text, image or selection and fill it with the fill method specified in the Fill Method drop down menu. Precautions are taken to ensure the fill is smooth and the edges are anti-aliased. You have the option to fill with a color, a pattern, a directional gradient, colored glass, directional gradient colored glass, as well as several random color fills. All other layers generated by the Logo Toolbox script are optional.

You also have the option to apply several beveling effects to the Fill Layer. Adding at least a small bevel is recommended to give your logo depth. To completely disable beveling, set the bevel depth to zero, which can be useful when you want a more flat look, A flatter look can be handy when creating glass fill effects. Although, sometimes beveling the glass fill layer can also produce a nice effect.

Logo Toolbox supports a double bevel, allowing the addition of a step bevel, resulting in even more depth in the image. Specify the pixel width of the 2nd bevel offset using the 2X Bevel Offset spinner. Setting the 2X Bevel Depth to zero will disable the double beveling and result in a single bevel, assuming the bevel depth is greater than zero. All other layers generated by the Logo Toolbox script are optional.

Filling, beveling and bumping the text/image with a texture/pattern (or gradient) can result in an unlimited number of effects, as demonstrated in the following examples.

Rusty Text

Brushed Aluminum

Moon Surface Text

Stroke Layer
You can optionally create a Stroke Layer by selecting the color and width of the stoke. You also have the option to specify a stroke offset, which will offset the stroke inward by the number of pixels specified. You can use this option, along with the 2X Bevel to create some interesting results. Setting the stroke width to zero will completely disable the stroke layer, which can be useful when creating glass fill effects, as glass already contains edge highlights that can end up being hidden by a stroke. You can control the edge highlights with the glass depth option, which can make the glass fill layer appear thicker.

Bump Layer
You can optionally create a Bump Layer by selecting the bump type in the bump layer dropdown box. The script will create a copy of the Fill Layer and bump it with the selected Bump Pattern, at the selected Bump Depth. Setting the Bump Type to none or setting the Bump Depth to zero will result in no bump layer being generated. You have the option to invert the bump, as well. One interesting feature of this script is the ability to bump only the 2X Bevel with the selected pattern, which results in the an inlaid bumped pattern, offset by the 2X bevel offset amount.

Logo Toolbox Mini-Tutorials

Inlaid Gradient Text
Step #1 - Use the Create/Logo menu option to create a starting point for our inlaid gradient text. The active foreground (#DDEBE9) color is used for our text, which will be the outside area of our logo.

Step #2 - After we have ran Logo Toolbox from the Create/Logo menu, select the Color Fill layer, right click and select Aplha-to-Selection, then shrink the selection by 15.

Step #3 - Now run the Logo Toolbox script from the Filters/Alpha to Logo menu, using the settings below. The Active Fill Gradient selected is "Land 1" and the Background Pattern selected is "Metal with Holes" (effect pattern). Click OK to run.

Step #4 - Move the Color Fill layer to just under the Gradient Fill layer and make it visible. The inlaid text is now complete.

Easy Glass Effects
Logo Toolbox allows easy creation of glass effects, including gradient, beveled & bumped glass. To demonstrate this, run Logo Toolbox from the File/Create menu and enter the following values.

You can easily add a bump layer to create an etched or patterned glass effect.

The same techniques previously demonstrated can be used to create inlaid glass and other inlaid text/image effects.

Inlaid Bumped Pattern Text
Let's try combining a stroke, adding a 2X Bevel offset, while bumping only the 2X bevel.

Step #1 - Create your text at 300px and select alpha to selection in the layers dialog.

Step #2 - Shrink your selection by 6.

Step #3 - Run Logo Toolbox from Filters/Aplha to Logo and set options as follows. Click OK to run.

Step #4 - Now move the original text layer to just under the patchwork fill and make it visible.

What we have in this layer stack is the original blue text layer, a black stroke layer, a patchwork color fill layer, with a 2X bevel offset (bumping only 2nd bevel) layer. I've added a drop shadow & background, as well.

The finished product should look something like this and can be done in just a few easy steps..

You can also direct the script to extrude the fill layer or extrude the bumped layer (if you've generated one), as well as add a pattern overlay layer to the extrusion. Match the bump pattern and the extrusion overlay pattern to produce textures with depth on the surface of your extrusions.

These are some of the basic functions of Logo Toolbox V2.x. By taking a few moments to learn and experiment with the various options of Logo Toolbox, useful and interesting results can be achieved. The development thread is located here and contains more tips for using this script.

Thanks for checking out this tutorial.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Logo Toolbox V2.0 Tutorial
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:04 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Nice. Thank You.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:07 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks, GnuTux. I was waiting for it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:07 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you Tux!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:13 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Tux

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:17 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

G'mic 1.6.5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:38 am  (#7) 
Global Moderator

Thank you for the very well written and illlustrated tutorial Tux.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:18 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Founder

I hope y'all find this useful. Thanks for trying it out! Looks good Dalia & Molly. :bigthup

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:41 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I'll be playing with this one for a while. BTW it was 84 degrees yesterday, 75 this morning and it will be 20 tonight; I'm in Florida! Compared to the rest of the folks in deep frigid temps it's nothing but, nonetheless my tolerance for cold went out the window when I left New York for the "warm" south.

G'mic 1.6.5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:31 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Well, this is interesting…I had no real idea what I would end up with, using the settings I chose. I think it looks a lot like iced cookies, lol.

This one is with other one, not the file>create one. More fun, more control, IMO.

Last edited by 2-ton on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:37 pm  (#11) 
Global Moderator

Cool 2-ton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:07 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:37 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

I am still not very sure of what some of the sliders do, even with the tutorial. It's sort of a guessing game for me, always a surprise!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:47 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Founder

@Dalia - Very cool scene. Tux looks chilly. :pengy

I live in the south too, Carolina that is. I understand even South Florida is being hit with the "Polar Vortex". It's 10 degrees here now and it's a long time 'til morning. I'm just wondering how low it's gonna go. :(

@2-ton - Excellent results on both images! :bigthup

@tonysteele - Good shiny metal effect. The cut out is a nice touch too! I'll bet you're completely froze up there in Michigan.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:16 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

I got it working and I'm enjoying playing with logo tool box Tux, thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:11 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Founder

You're welcome, AllenaMae.

This one is a time saver for me. :cool

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:24 pm  (#17) 
Global Moderator

nice work guys 48 F here up in North Pole, lol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:38 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

I haven't played with this nearly as much as is justifiable. I need to set aside more time for it.

Endless possibilities. :yes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:46 pm  (#19) 
Global Moderator

Nice mike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:00 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you CnuTux, Your tutorials and explanation are really useful for me as I'm at the very first level in Gimp.

Gimp 2.10.30(samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.