It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Free select like a pro: Use the Paths Tool!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:41 am  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
I use a wacom pen tablet and draw out very complex selection the freehand way. I can zoom-in and select as close as I wish around the subject.
I also find the paths tool to be intensive work, which would take me near double the time making selections with it.
You tutorial is fine, but it seems like a great deal of information for a true Gimp newbie to absorb in only a minute.

The main advantage of the paths tool is the perfect curves you can get. They require much less (or 0, sometimes) cleanup time after. Also, the path is handy to keep around if you want to regain your selection without having duplicate layers everywhere (yes, you can use a mask. :) I also use a wacom tablet sometimes, but mainly for adding back detail like hair and feathers after cropping something out. I'll go back and add detail in that way. As steady as my hand is, I am unable to get the smooth curves that are quite easy to get with the paths tool. Once I got used to the paths tool, I found it saves a lot of time over other methods, including trying to zoom in and erase with a wacom pen. The more you zoom in, the longer it will take. It's like changing your racing track from a few hundred feet to miles. YMMV however. :)

Post subject: ~
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:55 am  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

~

Last edited by Zeo on Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:04 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

Zeo wrote:
Usually I am using path tool for complex selection like hair. But recently I force myself to use freehand tools due to time efficiency... :hehe

And I also noticed you give example on small image size. That was cheatin' :hehe :lol

But yeah, path tool is very accurate. I only have small Wacom tablet, but it seems to get the most of free select tool is use the most expensive Cintiq tablet... :gaah

Not sure what you mean by small image size? The paths tool works quite well even on very large images. My camera spits out 23megapixel images, for example, and I edit them in GIMP for commercial adverts. If I had to go around the edge of everything with an eraser, I'd be hurtin. lol

Post subject: ~
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:07 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

~

Last edited by Zeo on Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:34 am  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

Great video, I like the fast pace, instead of someone waving their mouse around the screen for 2 or 3 minutes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:37 pm  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

Zeo wrote:
CRogers wrote:
Zeo wrote:
Usually I am using path tool for complex selection like hair. But recently I force myself to use freehand tools due to time efficiency... :hehe

And I also noticed you give example on small image size. That was cheatin' :hehe :lol

But yeah, path tool is very accurate. I only have small Wacom tablet, but it seems to get the most of free select tool is use the most expensive Cintiq tablet... :gaah

Not sure what you mean by small image size? The paths tool works quite well even on very large images. My camera spits out 23megapixel images, for example, and I edit them in GIMP for commercial adverts. If I had to go around the edge of everything with an eraser, I'd be hurtin. lol

Oh I mean example on the video, if my eyes see it right, it is 500 px height? :roll:
Bigger image size also mean more path, right?
But I don't know whether it has mentioned or not, working with path extremely reduce memory usage rather than working with mask or layer, I read it somewhere that path only using several KB of memory... :ninja

Yes, a path is just points and curve parameters, whereas a mask is bitmap data applied to an alpha channel... still not sure why it's "cheating". Your path should be the same size in kb no matter how large your image is. Larger image does not mean more path data, as long as you have the same number of nodes. :ninja ? ;)