It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Annotated timelapse: Landscape painting and big wolves in Krita
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:38 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

This is a heavily annotated video of the making of my 2020 Christmas card Grandfather wolf passing by. It goes through my work process and the steps from initial sketch to final result.

So a Krita, rather than a GIMP-tutorial/overview, but the concepts would be the same in GIMP as well, just different names for brushes and tools.

Let me know if you have any questions. :)
Griatch

Last edited by Griatch on Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Annotated timelapse: Lanscape painting and big wolves in Krita
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:34 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Griatch your video is wonderful. Seeing the process and how you decide to apply so many different aspects to the picture, makes that everybody enjoys each instant. You are a great exceptional artist. Congrats! :jumpclap :jumpclap :jumpclap

Gimp 2.10.30(samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

Post subject: Re: Annotated timelapse: Lanscape painting and big wolves in Krita
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:48 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Brilliant. You have captured it well and I like the music you chose too :bigthup

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:31 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Issabella wrote:
Griatch your video is wonderful. Seeing the process and how you decide to apply so many different aspects to the picture, makes that everybody enjoys each instant. You are a great exceptional artist. Congrats! :jumpclap :jumpclap :jumpclap

Glad it was enjoyable. It's also quite useful to myself to remember what I did. :)

sallyanne wrote:
Brilliant. You have captured it well and I like the music you chose too :bigthup

Thanks! Glad you like my music too! :)
Griatch

Post subject: Re: Annotated timelapse: Landscape painting and big wolves in Krita
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:52 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

:jumpclap :clap Woooow! That was fantastic! I loved it! :paint

I learned a lot. The descriptions given throughout the video, showing even the fact that the artist still has no clues as to what he would do next, brush tips, and other techniques used during the work, were extremely instructive.

Even though Krita was used, at minute 1:12 I learned something new to use with Gimp. It really works, it's going to be very useful when I'm using the laptop, although I've already started using it with the PC too. :hehe

Griatch, another great job. Congratulations on sharing it with us. May many other videos like this keep coming. Thank you! :tyspin

Post subject: Re: Annotated timelapse: Landscape painting and big wolves in Krita
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:20 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Krikor wrote:
:jumpclap :clap Woooow! That was fantastic! I loved it! :paint

I learned a lot. The descriptions given throughout the video, showing even the fact that the artist still has no clues as to what he would do next, brush tips, and other techniques used during the work, were extremely instructive.

Even though Krita was used, at minute 1:12 I learned something new to use with Gimp. It really works, it's going to be very useful when I'm using the laptop, although I've already started using it with the PC too. :hehe

Griatch, another great job. Congratulations on sharing it with us. May many other videos like this keep coming. Thank you! :tyspin

Thanks, awesome to hear the video was instructive to you. As you found out, many of these things work just fine in GIMP too. I don't use all that many 'advanced' features of Krita (or GIMP) here.

(As a side note, I have made many timelapse videos like this in the past. Unfortunately I used to use Youtube's own 'annotation' system to put instructive text on them - and Youtube has since promptly discontinued this feature so all my old annotations are gone :( So these days I have to use annotations embedded directly in the video (like this one).)
Griatch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:20 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Wonderful timelapse Griatch - thank for being so generous with your knowledge and techniques :).

I was interested in your comments about only using a small number of layers - I also favour this approach as it most closely mimics a traditional (non-digital) painting process.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:07 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Artloader wrote:
Wonderful timelapse Griatch - thank for being so generous with your knowledge and techniques :).

I was interested in your comments about only using a small number of layers - I also favour this approach as it most closely mimics a traditional (non-digital) painting process.

Thanks for the kind comment! These videos are also useful for me to go back to and remember later what the heck I was doing. ;)

As for the layers - yeah I used to paint with (real-world) oils on canvas for a long time and separating items into layers never really appealed to me. The result is a little less 'sharp' than what you can get with layers and selections, but I prefer the more 'hand-drawn' style over perfectly straight lines and edges. Nevertheless, there are some aspects of the workflow one could probably make easier by using all the available tools more than I do here.
Griatch