It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Make a Melting Rose Using Gimp
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:17 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Alice from Alice in Wonderland is known for painting the Queen of Heart's roses red, to hide that they are in fact white. What would happen if the paint started to drip off of the roses? Well, that's sort-of what I am teaching you to do here.

In this gimp video tutorial, we're going to use a a lot of Gimp's tools in combination to make the color of a rose appear to be melting off into a puddle on the ground. In a lot of ways, this is a painting tutorial, and in many more ways it's a gimp tutorial on photo manipulation. Either way, the video for this lesson is a solid 40-minutes, and it explains everything that was done to make the final product.

The gimp video tutorial can be found here.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Make a Melting Rose Using Gimp
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:15 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I just started downloading the vid before I came to GC. so is GimpedTutorials you?

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.

Last edited by Gms9810 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:22 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Gms9810 wrote:
I just tarted downloading the vid before I came to GC. so is GimpedTutorials you?

It most certainly is!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:59 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

that looks really cool...but If the tutorial is 40 min., I would need a week to work it out! One of these days I am going to try it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:40 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

That's a pretty cool result... you might want to consider adding some specular highlights and a hint or impression of reflection in the red liquid if it's supposed to be really wet... just an observation, not a criticism. Well done figuring that out :)

tstandiford wrote:
Alice from Alice in Wonderland is known for painting the Queen of Heart's roses red, to hide that they are in fact white. What would happen if the paint started to drip off of the roses? Well, that's sort-of what I am teaching you to do here.

In this gimp video tutorial, we're going to use a a lot of Gimp's tools in combination to make the color of a rose appear to be melting off into a puddle on the ground. In a lot of ways, this is a painting tutorial, and in many more ways it's a gimp tutorial on photo manipulation. Either way, the video for this lesson is a solid 40-minutes, and it explains everything that was done to make the final product.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:01 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

TGE wrote:
That's a pretty cool result... you might want to consider adding some specular highlights and a hint or impression of reflection in the red liquid if it's supposed to be really wet... just an observation, not a criticism. Well done figuring that out :)

tstandiford wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. When it comes to making things from scratch, I'm still pretty new. I appreciate it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:02 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

That's really cool looking. I have to agree with TGE regarding the highlights. A little lighting effect would go a long way in making look more realistic. Still a great job. :coolthup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:54 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Very artistic. I love it ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:59 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I've been one of your subscribers for quite a while.

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.