It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Free select like a pro: Use the Paths Tool!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:59 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

All text effects, and the hotkey quick reference at the end I did in GIMP. The video I sequenced in KDen Live (another Open Source video editor). "Music" I "Composed" in LMMS. And yes, unfortunately, that's my voice too. lol Enjoy!
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Free select like a pro: Use the Paths Tool!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:07 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Cool video and well presented. kdenlive is one reason I envy Linux users. There is nothing like that free for windows.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:15 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
Cool video and well presented. kdenlive is one reason I envy Linux users. There is nothing like that free for windows.

Thanks! I'm working on better background music. ^.^

Have you tried to use Windows Movie Maker? It's not as advanced as KDen live in some ways, but it gets the job done for most things.

If you want to go ultra-pro check out Blender 3D (free). It has a built in video compositor and sequencer that can handle everything from green-screening to camera motion tracking, and has been used to create motion-picture quality video and commercials.

It's hard to learn vs. KDen Live and Moviemaker, but if you take the time, you can do basically anything you can think of in it. Stuff that makes Adobe After Effects sh*t bricks. ;) Also, check out Lightworks. They are industry grade, and just went free and open source recently, (is also available for windows).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:18 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Wow, Lightworks went free and open source? That's great news. Moviemaker isn't enough for me and getting used to Blender is like trying to learn Swahili.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:31 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
Wow, Lightworks went free and open source? That's great news. Moviemaker isn't enough for me and getting used to Blender is like trying to learn Swahili.

Yep! Just this year! Enjoy! lol. Yes, Blender is very complex. I'm getting rather good at Swahili lately. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:40 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Good tut; way too lazy for it though. lolol

Wish I could speak Swahili though too but only know how to speak GIMP with some Inkscape. ;)

:)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:02 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Nice tutorial the only problem I'm having is I cant pause the video in the right spot to view the hotkey list :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:30 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

i like the idea, but i think its too much info for that short amount of time
especially when the video is aimed at beginners

also you speak very fast, for people like me, who dont speak english as their mothertongue, this is a bit hard to follow

i do like the use of the gear for demonstration-purposes
its a very good example and looks great, too !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:53 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

he4rty wrote:
Nice tutorial the only problem I'm having is I cant pause the video in the right spot to view the hotkey list :(

Yea, sorry, that's a YouTube problem.
Here is the chart:

and here too, if you want to point someone else to it: http://opendesignstudio.org/gimp/quickr ... screen.png

Had to create my own keyboard key font for it in Inkscape, and font forge.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:59 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Esper wrote:

also you speak very fast, for people like me, who dont speak english as their mothertongue, this is a bit hard to follow

i do like the use of the gear for demonstration-purposes
its a very good example and looks great, too !

Thanks. Yea, it's supposed to be really fast information. There are plenty of 5-30 minute tutorials using the paths tool, but if you're like me, you don't want to watch someone stumble around in GIMP for any length of time. My 60 second series just serves up quick raw information of what you can do with the tools, and provides hotkeys. If you pause the video, there is English hotkey captioning or each point at the bottom, too. If you want to get as much information s possible, and you only have 60 seconds, my videos are for you! lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:05 pm  (#11) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I use a wacom pen tablet and draw out very complex selection the freehand way. I can zoom-in and select as close as I wish around the subject.
I also find the paths tool to be intensive work, which would take me near double the time making selections with it.
You tutorial is fine, but it seems like a great deal of information for a true Gimp newbie to absorb in only a minute.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:08 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Nice pace! Some people make 10 min tutorials to cover the same single topic. You've done it in 1 min.
And I hate to waste 9 minutes of my life. :hoh Thanks!
And yet, tutorials cover more than just one tip, in my opinion. Name it 60 sec tips, maybe? Never mind, it's not that important. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:01 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you! I like the idea of 60 sec tutorial.
@CRogers, I've been watching some of the things you've posted in the forum. I like the presentation of your charts. I have learned what "Caustics" means :mrgreen: (I'm learning Blender 3D and I had read about this word but did not know exactly what it was)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:02 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

YAFU wrote:
I have learned what "Caustics" means :mrgreen: (I'm learning Blender 3D and I had read about this word but did not know exactly what it was)
same here :hehe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:25 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

In your video you state clicking the shift key closes the path loop.
This isn't correct. You have to click the ctrl key to loop the path.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:38 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the Chart :bigthup

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:17 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

he4rty wrote:

After several attempts to give pause and give play to try read the hot keys, I gave up seeing the video until the end.
Fortunately in the continued reading of this topic, I found the chart, it really was very helpful.
Esper wrote:

If it were possible to pause and read the hotkeys, I would not see this problem presentation format.
As K1t said:
K1TesseraEna wrote:
And I hate to waste 9 minutes of my life.

The problem is that the effect was the opposite of the expected. At least in my case, I do not speak English. Reading, I can understand most things, but it depends on the audio understanding is zero.
And every time I took pause, the hotkeys were covered. And the time we would spend giving pause and waiting for the hotkeys show up, I would take a lot more than nine minutes to watch the whole video.
I know the limitation is mine, but finally gets the record.

Rod wrote:
In your video you state clicking the shift key closes the path loop.
This isn't correct. You have to click the ctrl key to loop the path.

And I was insisting with the shift key, and all he did was remove the point. Thx Rod!

alt+click does not work to add a point to the curve. And just I click on the curve and add a new point.

Thanks for the Chart :bigthup

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:52 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the input, everyone. It's really helpful!
This series is as much an experiment as it is a tutorial (I believe "tutorial" fits reasonably well, since the video it covers the topic described, which is general use of the paths tool). My tuts are tool-based, rather than something like "How do I edit my dog to look like he's riding a killer whale". There are a wealth of tutorials like that, but very few by comparison cover the basics and features of a tool, which, at least for me, is more valuable, because you can apply that knowledge to your own projects, and it encourages personal innovation. Also, I was quite shocked at all the paths tool tutorials that use it like the free-select tool (they didn't even make use of the curves, which is the main advantage to using it in the first place).

So to fill the niche, as it were, I decided to give a rundown of the paths tool, which is one of the more complex tools in GIMP. Maybe trying to squeeze it into 60 seconds was a bit of a stretch. I didn't actually get to all the features of the tool, as you can see from the chart!

I'll re-examine those hotkeys.... that's really strange though. I was quite meticulous about it. I wonder if they have changed. It's also possible I was using an alternative keymapping at the time. Oh well. :roll:

Thanks again for the wealth of information in your feedback. It will certainly help to make my future endeavours better. :tyspin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:49 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

CRogers wrote:
T
I'll re-examine those hotkeys.... that's really strange though. I was quite meticulous about it. I wonder if they have changed. It's also possible I was using an alternative keymapping at the time. Oh well. :roll:

In GIMP documentation (tip#1), I think it has always been Ctrl key to close the curve. Can't tell for older versions, been gimping since v2.6.

But don't sweat over it, you did a great job and i'd like to see more of your tutorials. And I mean it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:31 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

K1TesseraEna wrote:
CRogers wrote:
T

In GIMP documentation (tip#1), I think it has always been Ctrl key to close the curve. Can't tell for older versions, been gimping since v2.6.

But don't sweat over it, you did a great job and i'd like to see more of your tutorials. And I mean it.

But it's not right! :gaah
Hehehe. I think it was the funky stuff I was doing to my keyboard mappings for Blender 3D at the time. Anyhow, thanks for the corrections. You can be sure, there will be more tuts in the future. :yes