Switch to full style
Post your GIMP animations here
Post a reply

Experimental Fractal GIF

Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:54 am

Seeing how much of a 3D fractal I could fit in a GIF :)

Re: Experimental Fractal GIF

Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:06 am

wtg :bigthup

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:21 am

I must try to stop watching this - I have other things to do. Tron was never this good!

Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:00 pm

Wow! Superb.

Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:22 am

That looks great Tas_mania. Unfortunately GIF is an antiquated format with high file size and low color count. It is still the most supported and therefore the most used on the web. Yours is 146 frames and just under 5mb. I tried re-encoding your gif with ffmpeg and got a bigger size. You did a good job encoding yours.

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:23 am

Thanx guys...
Erisian, I watched somebody's fractal video last week and could only describe it as 'an intergalactic space craft exploring a persian rug' :)

racer, I used your command
Code:
ffmpeg -i input -vf scale=500:-1:sws_dither=a_dither -r 12 -pix_fmt rgb8 -loop 0 -an output.gif

I only changed the frame rate.
This site must use an algorithm that makes gifs smaller and converts them to webm and gifs.

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:32 am

First, the GIF loaded fast so it must be pretty small in size. Pretty impressive compression that is for sure, Tas. :)

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:47 am

I recently rendered an Earth in blender @ 8k. Here is the animation done with Aviutl. This gif has 123 frames and is 2.2mb. The gif was encoded with ffmpeg.

The "X" marks the spot where I was born...

Earth.gif
Earth.gif (2.07 MiB) Viewed 10849 times

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:52 pm

That's a good zoom down to Earth racer. I guess that's why you started with an 8k image?

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:31 am

Nice gifs. :coolthup
I'm guessing racer-x was born in Braga.

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:23 am

Close. I was born in Chaves, Portugal.

The maps I used are huge, if anyone wants them, you can get them here along with the tutorial. https://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/earth-cycles

You could also do it in Gimp using the map object>shere. You can do two layers. One for the Earth and one for the clouds. I just made one in Gimp and it doesn't look too bad either.

Earth2.jpg
Earth2.jpg (503.7 KiB) Viewed 13305 times

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:02 am

I'm just wrapping this up. I have solved the problem I had which was why spend 2 weeks rendering a 1080p animation only to get 30 or 40 views and still have to pay UTube to remove ads from the videos I watch :(

So I'm putting the art first and doing 720p videos that only take 8 hours to render on the hardware I have. :) I also think promoting videos is a weird affliction that never used to exist.
Stay happy dudes :) :) :)
Post a reply