It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Combine gifs?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:11 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 7 64
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Is there a way to keep different speeds of gifs that are merged into one gif
the flag in one and the text is another gif, would like them to run at different speeds

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Combine gifs?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:41 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

alc59 wrote:
Is there a way to keep different speeds of gifs that are merged into one gif
the flag in one and the text is another gif, would like them to run at different speeds

alc59:

It is possible. It involves finding the least common multiple for the number of layers each animation has. This assumes each of those layers for both animations has the same timing delay. If the timing delays are different, that would need to be adjusted for too. If one animation, for instance, has 5 layers, each with a timing delay of 100ms and the other has 4 layers also each with a timing delay of 100ms, the common multiple for them would be 20.

If you use GAP, you would create an empty 20 frame background. Then you would add the first layer of each of the animations (GAP would automatically add the other layers repetitively) to those background frames using the Loop Stepmode in Move Path. The five layer animation would repeat 4 times during those 20 frames and the 4 layer animation would repeat 5 times. This way, both would repeat seamlessly. Again, this depends on both animations frames each having the same timing settings. If they are different, then it would involve adjusting separate layers to get all layers having the same timing.

For instance, say all but two layers have a timing delay of 100ms, but one has a delay of 2000ms and another has a delay of 1000ms. You would literally have to copy the one layer 19 additional times to give 20 layers at 100ms to equal one layer at 2000ms. The other layer would need to be copied 9 additional times to give 10 layers set at 100ms to equal one layer that was set at 1000ms. So if layers have different timing settings, that can complicate things further.

If you are not using GAP, I know ofnuts has a Python-Fu script, if you have Python installed for Gimp, that allows one to interleave layers. I haven't used that script and it would be best to contact ofnuts to see if it would work for your purposes. I just can't think of any other options and that script seemed like a possibility.

Hope this can help some.

:)

Post subject: Re: Combine gifs?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:36 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks ccbarr
i've only used GAP for splitting small avi's to frames for making a gif, also have used the morph
i do have python, i'll check out the script