It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some Animated Text With GAP
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:51 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Just showing some varying animated text effects one can do with Gimp and GAP. I hope to add more of these when I can. The examples shown are simple, but the possibilities are endless.

The animation above is not trivial to create the various animated effects. In fact there were thirty (30) instances of Move Path used to make the entire animation. Except for the final 8 frames, each animated instance is only 4 frames long.

The animation above is made using Move Path from GAP and Apply Filter on Layer(s) using Map Object to get the 3D effect of the two words. In this case, two instances of Move Path were called to get the Gimpchat and Rocks layers added. Then four instances of Map Object were used to get the various back and forth motions of each word.

Thank you for checking this out.

:)

Edit: One more for today (apologies to dialup users as it is 2 megabytes):

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Some Animated Text With GAP
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:51 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

amazing ccbarr. I love the first one the best.... so cool....

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:30 pm  (#3) 
Retired Staff

Very cool. I particularly like the way you broke and angled the text in the first animation. I don't know how you accomplished the blue and gold one with GAP. I made one but didn't use GAP and I also managed to jostle the text a few times. :(

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:07 pm  (#4) 
Retired Staff

That last one makes me think of text in outer space. Aliens sending us messages.

It kind of gives me a spooky feeling of perhaps a disembodied voice. Cool!

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:17 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

molly and O,

Thank you for the comments.

Here is one more:

Move Path is invoked as many times as there are letters in the animation. Map Object is invoked twice for each of the letters of GIMPCHAT and once for each of the letters of ANIMATION. So not a trivial operation here to produce the result. Again, the possibilities are endless.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:31 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Those are sooo cool! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:54 am  (#7) 
Retired Staff

ccbarr wrote:

Move Path is invoked as many times as there are letters in the animation. Map Object is invoked twice for each of the letters of GIMPCHAT and once for each of the letters of ANIMATION. So not a trivial operation here to produce the result. Again, the possibilities are endless.

I've never seen anyone else that has your level of skill with GAP. I am delighted to be able to experience your expertise. :hi5

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:27 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Oregonian wrote:
I've never seen anyone else that has your level of skill with GAP. I am delighted to be able to experience your expertise. :hi5

Thank you very much O for that very kind compliment. Although I've been using GAP for a few years now, I am still learning new things about using GAP. And from reading about the developments going on with GAP, it looks like there will be more new things to learn allowing for creating even more interesting animations. Thank you again.

:tyspin

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:33 am  (#9) 
Retired Staff

ccbarr wrote:
Although I've been using GAP for a few years now, I am still learning new things about using GAP. And from reading about the developments going on with GAP, it looks like there will be more new things to learn allowing for creating even more interesting animations. Thank you again.

:tyspin
Are there some links you could share? I'm not very skilled with GAP and I don't know how much I'd understand but I'd sure like to try. I love GAP. It doesn't get enough publicity afaic. It's good you carry the torch there. :hehe

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:59 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Oregonian wrote:
Are there some links you could share? I'm not very skilled with GAP and I don't know how much I'd understand but I'd sure like to try. I love GAP. It doesn't get enough publicity afaic. It's good you carry the torch there. :hehe

O,

Here is the link indicating some of the developments with GAP 2.7.0 compared to the 2.6 version:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp-gap/tree/NEWS

I'm guessing the 2.7.0 version is in the GIT repository. I haven't tried git'ing it yet. I haven't tried the 2.7.x versions of Gimp yet.

I agree that GAP doesn't get a lot of publicity. Unfortunate too since it is quite a capable tool for both animation and film. I've used it for both.

By the way, I hope that little laughing emoticon at the end is not meant as you laughing at me for being the rare GAP person. I don't always understand the emoticons or their intentions and that one confused me. Sorry if I misunderstood the intent there. Better to ask than be confused. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:06 pm  (#11) 
Retired Staff

:hehe was meant to emphasize agreement to what I said. No way would I laugh at you.

Thank you very much for the link.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:38 pm  (#12) 
Global Moderator

ccbarr: Thank you for asking O about it. Now I don't feel so isolated in my own thoughts about what we see versus what we intend in text comments. I think we should all be more open in asking, if something is bugging us, because remaining silent only harbors further bad thoughts. And often, as I have learned (the hard way) we're usually incorrect in our thoughts.

And also, I love your work with animations and that you are bringing more exposure to them, because I am lacking any talent in creating them using GAP.