It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WIP - Map Object Five Ring Binder Animation
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:41 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Here are two screenshots from a concept that I have begun working on that hopefully will eventually be animated:

The animation, if and when I complete it (hopefully), will consist of the pages of the binder turning with varying messages and/or effects on each different page.

The binder is made of two Map Object thin Boxes (using an X Scale value of 0.80 and a Z value of 0.05) oriented at different angles (I think Y rotation values of 30 degrees and -45 degrees). The binder rings are made from a Map Object thin length Cylinder (using a length of 0.05), and the pages are Map Object Plane objects (with Y rotation values of -60 degrees and 45 degrees) that will eventually be animated. The details to achieving the results above are a bit more more complex than that, but those are the basic essentials, in case anyone would like to try their hand at a static binder based on the above notions. It probably would be a fun tutorial to follow, just on the making of the binder and papers themselves without movement. I'll keep it in mind because writing up such a tutorial would not take long (it took long to figure this all out though :mrgreen: )

Just thought I would share with you all my progress to this point. Thanks for checking this out.

:)

Last edited by ccbarr on Thu May 19, 2011 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: WIP - Map Object Five Ring Binder Animation
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:25 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Very good ccbarr,

I think it will be very interesting. It appeals to me. Will this be done using Gap?

I remember doing your animated card a while back and it wasn't done with Gap, which of coarse there were a lot more steps to go through, but it was very effective.

Anyway, I for one would be very interested in this project.... :coolthup

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:02 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
Very good ccbarr,

I think it will be very interesting. It appeals to me. Will this be done using Gap?

I remember doing your animated card a while back and it wasn't done with Gap, which of coarse there were a lot more steps to go through, but it was very effective.

Anyway, I for one would be very interested in this project.... :coolthup

molly,

Thank you.

I plan to do this tutorial using GAP.

Regarding the animated card tutorial that I had done, actually, doing the animated card in GAP ended up taking as many if not more steps than the manual approach. However, the nice advantage with GAP is one could set up all the parts for the card and then easily substitute parts to make different cards very quickly.

Glad you are interested it. I'm in the process of writing up a tutorial on how to make the still image type of images displayed above. Hopefully, I can follow that with a GAP tutorial for animating it all. Should be fun.

Thank you for your kind words and for commenting.

:)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:17 am  (#4) 
Retired Staff

That's looking great to me.

One of the annoying things about that type of binder is that sometimes when turning pages in them, the paper catches at the binding and requires help for it to flatten down. Don't know if that could be part of the animation. It probably would be very annoying to try and make it do that. :mrgreen:

Anyway, another great future tutorial looks like it is in the making and I'm looking forward to it. Nice work, ccbarr!