It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How I Make Videos With Gimp And G'MIC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:27 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Somebody asked how I make videos with Gimp.

What I do is make an animation, mostly in a fractal program, then export as a series of PNG's often around 1,000.
Often I re-process them with the stand-alone G'MIC and look at the command in a terminal. Then I paste the command into a batch script and run it on the PNG image stream. I use the same method for some GEGL filters. Gimp and GMIC are not good at animation streams. Gimp can open 1,000 images @1080p and 'show animation' if you have enough ram.
Warning. Never select a large number of layers/images and 'open' in Gimp. Always 'Open as Layers'. You could scramble your filesystem by opening many instances of Gimp.

When I have a bunch of image series (I use PNG's because they have an alpha channel) I assemble them into a video currently using Davinci Resolve free version. This is a video editor and it can do the things Gimp and GMIC cannot do. Things like transitions and fade-ins-outs. I can do this with GEGL but it is way too fiddly to use compared to a video editor.

If you put the audio in first you can easily sync your image streams with the audio or the other way around if you are using a mic. Resolve needs at least 32 gig of ram to function properly and a high-end graphics card is needed. (Resolve also needs conversion of mp4's and mp3's to WAV and MOV)

So it's a complicated process that also uses python scripts for exporting and alpha channels etc.
With the last video I put the audio at the base, then a creative commons video stream of coastline next and then the clips above.

There is a technique to put an animation series in twice, exactly on top of each other but with the streams colored differently. They are transitioned using fade-ins or making part of one alpha. In my last clip I used GMIC 'waves' distortion on a fractal series that worked well. Resolve can also do effects like that.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How I Make Videos With Gimp And G'MIC
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:51 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

:tyspin :jumpclap