It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Morph and playback questions.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:58 pm  (#1) 

I have created an animation using GAP to morph 1 picture into another. It works quite well. I am using Gimp/GAP 2.6.11

I have some questions ... when I pressed the "OK" button on the morph dialog, I was surprised that the process did not consume 100% of my cpu. It seemed to only run at about 25% or sometimes less. My machine has plenty of memory (8GB) and only ~30% was in use at the time. It took several hours to complete. Other than a bit of mild web browsing, the computer was doing nothing else. I would be curious why the the CPU was not more active.

When the morph was done (the original image were both 1500x2100 jpgs) I went to Filters->Animations->Playback to view the results. I was surprised that the playback window does not seem to allow resizing. Is this a known bug or perhaps a feature? It is strange ... I don't even seem to be able to move the playback window.

I know how to save the file as a GIF animation, and then modify the layer delay to essentially control the frame rate. However, I was wondering if it is possible to define the delays in the original file (which I saved as a native gimp xcf format to preserve the layers). I find the GIF format with the limited 256 colors causes the images to look too "artificial".

Finally, I was curious if there is any experience creating a morph of multiple images. I would like to create a short video in fairly high resolution of 10 annual photos of my children as a time lapse morph. Ideally I would like to keep the original as an xcf and use playback in gimp to watch on my computer. I would like to then down convert the video into other suitable formats (gif, avi, etc). I would like the ability to control individual layer delays in the xcf format to pause on each "original" image for a second or two before progressing to the "tween" layers.

Thanks
Ian

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Morph and playback questions.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:23 pm  (#2) 

I figured out the answer to the playback window. You have to detach the image from the window (button at the top of the window, or on the right click menu) to move the window around if the window is larger than your screen. There still does not seem to be a way to resize the image during playback. Perhaps too compute intensive to dynamically scale image during playback?

Anyway ... making progress with 3rd image morph. Just opened the 3rd image on a new layer and then used the GAP morph dialog to select the appropriate from and to images. Then ran the morph. Took longer this time.. not sure if that is because the image itself has many more layers. File is about 1.2GB, but sure looks good.