It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inkscape Memory issues
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:57 pm  (#1) 
Global Moderator

As much as I love using Inkscape, for whatever reasons, while on Ubuntu, it's real hard to use because of freezes from using it. I don't see it using a lot of CPU, but it sucks the RAM completely dry. I've tried this on all 3 machines with dual boot Windows/Ubuntu, and 1 older machine with nothing but Ubuntu installed, and get the same results. Whenever I zoom or add layers, or just in general, use Inkscape, it starts hanging, freezing, greying out, and locking up.

So I opened Inkscape in Windows and don't get the same issues. I refuse to post it as a bug, because the bugs on this issue are backed up since 2006. Devs say they generally get around to checking/fixing bugs within 6 months... anyone who complains or reports bugs are generally asked to help contribute. Is this standard? Geez...

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Inkscape Memory issues
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:26 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Hi mahvin,
This is called "memory leak".
A well written program will take care of used memory it no longer needs.
It is returned to the "heap".But your kernel won't know it can use the memory for something else unless said program
properly releases it.
So it's certainly a bug and a serious one at that.
I can give you only this advice: look for another version of inkscape.
Gerard.

I use Linux only.
And Virtualbox with Win 7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:56 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin,
I see it from time to time as well. I usually don't get it when my image is at 100% or less; If I'm really zoomed in (800-1300%) I get it - but I just assumed it was because of how tight I was zoomed in and all the calculations that needed to be done. Mine is Inkscape 0.48.0 r9654 on LinuxMint 10 (Ubuntu 10.10) 64-bit - what version is your Linux Inkscape?

Life Truth: #12
My cat is a worst typist than I am.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:11 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

0.48. I am compiling 0.47 now, what a job that is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:38 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Something odd I noticed with my Inkscape is that when it is sitting idle with no image loaded and me not touching it, the memory usage [malloc()] would cycle up and down. This could be seen through Help > About Memory. That seems weird.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:14 pm  (#6) 
Global Moderator

No changes in performance with 0.47 (runs a little faster, but zooming or increasing font size above 72px results in lagging, freezing, and crashing. Sad, sad, sad....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:46 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin, what's the specs on your machine? Even though I have a fairly speedy cpu, it's only a single-core, and I have 2GB of RAM - also, I'm a nut for little widgets, and those eat up RAM and CPU also, so I don't necessarily get all the performance I could out of my system. :roll:

Also, keep in mind that in Inkscape, everything has to be recalculated because everything consists of "live" points, lines and shapes. It's like constantly doing G'MIC filters.

Did you try another vector art creator for comparison? Xara LX is an alternative to Inkscape, and it should be available in the repositories. (Personally, I tried it a version or so ago, but as I had started with Inkscape on Windows a while before, I was more used to Inkscape.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:46 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

dual core, 2 gig of RAM. (I thought I posted this somewhere) 2x AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology.

I am too familiar with Inkscape to jump in xara, although I have used it before. I just want the vector capability. I use Inkscape on my Office desktop for screen printing, just don't feel like paying for CorelDraw upgrades year after year. But since last October, I've been on my laptop more and noticed Inkscape doesn't play nice (using Ubuntu) on this older machine. It works fine on my 64 bit office desktop on Windows, but not so in Ubuntu.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:12 am  (#9) 
Global Moderator

Wow! I solve one problem and create a whole new mysterious one. I finally got Inkscape 0.48 compiled and running and then it refused to export bitmaps. Terminal errors showed I was running two separate versions of libpng. So, without thinking or checking, I set out to eliminate the version causing the error by way of make uninstall. Once that was done, I was able to export bitmaps as png, but then it didnt take long for me to discover what else I had messed up. (APNG) namely the patched file, etc (basically Gnu Tux's mini tutorial on compiling for APNG - I uninstalled that whole process, without realizing it then). So, I started all over, only this time I decided to use the actual libpng version and patch as my system was currently using, everything compiled without errors, I even made the new plug-in, no problems, but then open GIMP and attempt to make an animated png and get this error:

relocation error: /home/mahvin/.gimp-2.6/plug-ins/file-apng: symbol png_set_acTL, version PNG12_0 not defined in file libpng12.so.0 with link time reference

I couldn't get anything on it. I couldn't find any help for this error by way of searching via Google/searching the internet. I feel pretty stupid right now. GAH!

UPDATE:

I reinstalled GIMP and the newly patched libpng finally worked. Yay me (I think...<scratches head>).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:36 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Hmm. Your laptop sounds pretty decent. I've been thinking about this and - barring a memory leak issue as gerard pointed out, or too many widgets like me ;) - really the only other subsystems that get involved are swap partition and by extension hard drive performance. Perhaps the graphics system if there's not much video RAM (which would mean more disk accessing).

Of course the only way to do a more realistic comparison is to put the same software on the same hardware and manipulate the same files.

I'm glad you were able to otherwise sort out your problems. :hi5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:52 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Do you have a program that will tell you how much much memory is used?
Most linuxes come with "top".
Login to a terminal and type "top".
It's being refreshed regularly.
Gerard.

I use Linux only.
And Virtualbox with Win 7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:12 pm  (#12) 
Global Moderator

I erred when I said I had 0.48 initially. That was incorrect. I had 0.47 installed. Once I got 0.48 compiled and installed it runs considerably smoother, and zooming in and out doesn't revert to freezing and hanging. However, there is a trade-off - multiple uses of filters does slow the app down considerably.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:43 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Good show, old chap! :)

Glad to hear things are better. I still think the filter issue you refer to is because of the nature of vector graphics, i.e. recalculation, and having to store things in memory. How about if you save the intermediate images?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:52 pm  (#14) 
Global Moderator

Well, considering that 0.47, I could barely work with Inkscape and get slammed with freezing and hanging almost instantly from zooming in at 200% and then tossing a filter in, which subsequently locked Inkscape up. Then going to 0.48 and finding I can not only add filters and layers, but zoom to 1600% (anything beyond that and it starts to behave differently) without locking up, I am beginning to think they added some acceleration programming into the new version. But to answer your last question, saving as .svg with multiple layers and added filters went smoothly, including exporting bitmaps. I wasn't getting this with the previous version. Far from it.

I've been looking at the changelog for 0.48 and trying to see what would have made the difference. I'd only be guessing, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:21 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

That's very good.
I really like the mega-zoom feature myself, even if my PC acts like it's about to expire. ;)