It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Cairo-Clock thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:34 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I want to do a series of Cairo clocks with Inkscape (A Linux desktop clock widget). For my first try, I converted a pre-existing Garfield drawing of mine and converted it to vectors, then added a clock drawing to it along with the numbers. No problem there. But I'm having trouble aligning both the the minute and hour hand to remain in the centre at all times. What happens is that when I get the hands to centre perfectly in one position, once the hand moves circa 10 minutes and beyond, it starts to misalign again. I've attached the clock. Here's a screenshot:

That was supposed to be 17:22pm. As you can see it looks closer to 17:20. Some positions look better, some worse.

The theme:

Last edited by David-C on Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: My Cairo-Clock thread (Help needed for first attempt)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:34 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I see your outcome so nice and about the problem of the hands... Are they well in the centre? I mean that the red hand has to go round of the black circle edge. I don't know if I make myself understood. :)

Gimp 2.10.30(samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:14 pm  (#3) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I found this link below, that describes a way to make a new clock theme by using an existing theme file/folder.
I have done work with ClocX, which is a clock app used for windows.
What I did was to use an existing clock's files and or information and applied it to a clock that I've created using Gimp. I'm not sure how Cario-Clock theme's work, but as a suggestion, I would try to find a clock theme where the clock image is roughly the same size and shape. Open this clock's theme image and use it as a reference to re-size your clock, so that your clock face matches the exact position of the reference clock face. Then edit the reference clock's information file to point to your clock.
If this doesn't work maybe the link below will be of more help.

http://www.linux.org/threads/make-insta ... emes.4137/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:35 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
I found this link below, that describes a way to make a new clock theme by using an existing theme file/folder.
What I did was to use an existing clock's files and or information and applied it to a clock that I've created using Gimp. I'm not sure how Cario-Clock theme's work, but as a suggestion, I would try to find a clock theme where the clock image is roughly the same size and shape. Open this clock's theme image and use it as a reference to re-size your clock, so that your clock face matches the exact position of the reference clock face. Then edit the reference clock's information file to point to your clock.

Thanks, the info in that link helped me resolve it. Seems Cairo is very fussy with dimensions and positioning.

Now I can make some more. I may make a Wilber one along the way. I intend to convert these for Windows as well.

Here's a screen-cap of the fixed version. I'm sticking to black cursors. Less is more:

Link to new theme file:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:53 pm  (#5) 
Administrator

David-C wrote:
Wallace wrote:

Thanks, the info in that link helped me resolve it. Seems Cairo is very fussy with dimensions and positioning.

Now I can make some more. I may make a Wilber one along the way. I intend to convert these for Windows as well.

Here's a screen-cap of the fixed version. I'm sticking to black cursors. Less is more:

[ Image ]

Link to new theme file:

http://speedy.sh/k2jwr/garfield.zip

:coolthup
I'm glad it worked out for you.
Here's a look at a clock I made with Gimp for the windows program ClocX.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:02 pm  (#6) 
Global Moderator

Nice work guys.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:34 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
David-C wrote:
Wallace wrote:

[ Image ]

Link to new theme file:

http://speedy.sh/k2jwr/garfield.zip

I'm glad it worked out for you.
Here's a look at a clock I made with Gimp for the windows program ClocX.
[ Image ]

I've tinkered with Vistas Windows Sidebar clock, and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to create additional clock themes for it, without over-riding existing themes. I don't fancy doing it that way. I almost messed up the sidebar's clock while trying to get a standalone theme working.

I think I'll give ClockX a try. Actually, that should be better, as it also supports Windows 8, which removed the default analog clock they had in previous versions.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:58 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Thats nice Wallace and so is Garfield

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:47 pm  (#9) 
Administrator

David-C wrote:
I think I'll give ClockX a try. Actually, that should be better, as it also supports Windows 8, which removed the default analog clock they had in previous versions.

Yeah give it a try. ;)
If you do a search for, ClocX here on Gimp Chat. I'm sure you'll find some clocks that myself and others have made that you might find interesting.

akky wrote:
Thats nice Wallace and so is Garfield

Thanks Akky. :bigthup

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:04 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I've tried out ClocX, seems to work on Linux with Wine. I've now done a Windows version of the clock, providing you have ClocX installed. You simply unzip the files to:

C:/Program Files/ClocX/Presets

and then select it from the themes.

There are some differences to the Linux version, but nothing major:

The file:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:41 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I've made a collection of Star Wars clocks for ClocX, derived from my own art:

Link deleted. Please use the available upload links in Gimp Chat to upload files.

Linux vectorized version to follow soon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:41 pm  (#12) 
Administrator

David-C wrote:
I've made a collection of Star Wars clocks for ClocX, derived from my own art:

Linux vectorized version to follow soon.

That's cool and all, but how do we download these files?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:35 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

A minimalistic Windows 8 clock (ClocX version):

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:23 pm  (#14) 
Retired Staff

David, regarding your links. Please do not post any more links to your works in speedy.sh. I sent you a private message about it but apparently you did not look in your private messages.

Please do not link to places with downloaders. They frequently have either adware or malware in them. This is to protect our members.

You need to zip your work and use the attachment property in the Gimp Chat posting window to upload your files.

Post subject: Re: My Cairo-Clock thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:12 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Oregonian wrote:
David, regarding your links. Please do not post any more links to your works in speedy.sh. I sent you a private message about it but apparently you did not look in your private messages.

Please do not link to places with downloaders. They frequently have either adware or malware in them. This is to protect our members.

You need to zip your work and use the attachment property in the Gimp Chat posting window to upload your files.

Understood.

Sorry about that, been very ill the last few days and I'm not 100% with it. I rarely pay attention to the PM area.

I'll attach them all again soon, the themes still need a bit of tweaking anyway as it turned out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:54 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Ok,

Firstly, I've scrapped the Star Wars clocks as their initial designs didn't cut the mustard. I'll get back to the drawing board with those.

Here's the first collection of my clock themes for ClocX, starting with 80's retro popular culture. I've made some enhancements to the first Garfield theme, and created a second one, which is inspired by the Vista gremlin clock theme. There's an Amiga clock, which some people of a certain age will recognize, and there's also the Windows 8 theme pictured earlier. Last but not least, a Bubble Bobble theme (an old 80's retro video game):

These will soon be converted to vectors for Linux Cairo. I just find it a lot easier to start off the creations in Gimp first, as I'm not experienced with Inkscape.

Attachments:
'sRetroThemes.zip [457.31 KiB]
Downloaded 308 times
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:02 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

I've made a second theme pack for ClocX, (as pictured), and finally, a Linux Cairo port of all of these themes. There are some minor differences for the Linux versions, but they all use the same base. Linux versions where ported with Inkscape.

A screenshot of the ClockX pack 2 themes:

Note that for Cairo you need to set animation smoothness to at least 10%, as some of the themes will not work properly with the pure rough setting.

The Pacman theme needs the seconds hand enabled.

Attachments:
CairoClockThemes.zip [1.38 MiB]
Downloaded 327 times
ClocX2.zip [805.66 KiB]
Downloaded 314 times
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:46 pm  (#18) 
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:55 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

david-c: those look good! i like pacman and darth vader especially.