It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Size problems when moving between GIMP and Inkscape
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:37 am  (#1) 

Hello everyone. I am trying to find a simple way to export a raster image from GIMP, load it into Inkscape and create paths over it, then export and load those paths back into GIMP (keeping them as paths would be great, but even just as raster images is alright). The trouble I am running into is with image size. When I load the images in Inkscape, it seems their sizes are changed and then when I export and open them in GIMP they don't automatically fit. My work requires a high level of precision, so eyeballing it and resizing manually isn't an option and I would really like to make this process work for a team of people who aren't necessarily skilled computer users.

Are there any fixes for this? Plug-ins that might help?

Thanks in advance for your tips.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Size problems when moving between GIMP and Inkscape
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:05 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Lets say the your Gimp image is 4000x3000 pixels. In Gimp, export your image as .png file.

Open Inkscape. Go to (File > Document Properties) and set up everything in pixels. "Display Units" set as pixels. "Custom Size" set to 4000x3000 pixels. Use (File > Open) to open the .png file. (If you Copy the image in Gimp and Paste into Inkscape the image doesn't line up properly, hence the File>Open.)

Still in Inkscape, create your paths. Save as a .svg file.

Back in Gimp: Open the Paths Dialogue and Import the .svg file.

Note: Once you get used to Gimp paths you can often do the tracing in Gimp. The Ofnuts path tools are a great help.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-p ... s/scripts/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:00 pm  (#3) 

Blighty II wrote:
Lets say the your Gimp image is 4000x3000 pixels. In Gimp, export your image as .png file.

Open Inkscape. Go to (File > Document Properties) and set up everything in pixels. "Display Units" set as pixels. "Custom Size" set to 4000x3000 pixels. Use (File > Open) to open the .png file. (If you Copy the image in Gimp and Paste into Inkscape the image doesn't line up properly, hence the File>Open.)

Thanks for your response. I'm trying this, but it seems when I use file>open to open the png in Inkscape it opens the file in a new document with a different page size.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:27 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

James0000 wrote:
Thanks for your response. I'm trying this, but it seems when I use file>open to open the png in Inkscape it opens the file in a new document with a different page size.

Yes, you're right. Something has changed since I last used it.

This does work:
1) Open image in Gimp
2) Open Inkscape and set up in pixels, same size as Gimp
3) In Gimp, copy image
4) In Inkscape, paste image. (Does not align to page)
5) Use the Inkscape Align and Distribute to align the image to the page.
6) Create your paths and Inkscape and Save as .svg
7) In the Gimp Paths Dialogue import the .svg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:59 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I import an image into Inkscape a bit different from Blighty.
Once imported I use Document properties to set the image size. Inkscape does use 90 ppi so the Inkscape image is going to be smaller than the original. Does not matter too much. Going the other way, importing the SVG into Gimp, set the size in pixels and they will match.

There seems to be some problem with no paths when using Gimp Open-as-Layers. I think a Gimp 2.10.12 problem so Open the SVG first, setting size in pixels and import with paths enabled. Then add the original Gimp image on that either Open-as-Layers or in this demo video click and drag.

https://youtu.be/FKXtBUvsbjo demo duration 3 and a half minutes.

Packing in for the day so a bit rushed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:22 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

@James0000

There is also a size problem with the "Default import resolution" option?

Attachments:
Open png in Inkscape 0.92.4.png
Open png in Inkscape 0.92.4.png [ 13.38 KiB | Viewed 8771 times ]

Slava
Ukraini!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:41 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Here's what I have done.
I have changed the Inkscape export resolution to same (300dpi) than I have in Gimp. (Inkscape Preferences/bitmaps)
By doing this, there is no need to enter correct values manually upon exporting the .png
Using File->Open instead of importing the raster image to existing page, page will be automatically cropped to contents.

If you export the svg version to Gimp, you have to change values manually.
I don't know why, but my guess it has something to do with the .svg standard, is it 90 dpi?
Because 512x512 bitmap traced, and saved as .svg always offers 164x164 size in Gimp export dialog.

Easy solutions? use Shellout.py plug-in (it's pinned on the scripts/plug-ins forum) to call Inkscape, do your edits and it will open as new layer above the original.
MareroQ also posted potrace plug-in just few days ago.