Switch to full style
Post a reply

Re: [G'MIC] New filter 'Layers / Blend [seamless]'

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:27 am

What did you have to give up to do that :teeth

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:35 am

Actually i attacked macafee with an axe basically and windows shut it down. at least everything is working for now :rofl

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:36 am

I've done a quick video tutorial on how to use this filter.
Here it is :

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:51 am

That video went so fast I didn't see how it got that white part that you didn't erase out. Did the filter do that?

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:58 am

Yes Molly it does that automatically, that's the magic with this filter ☺

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:52 am

Thank you David. I am going to try that, I though all the bg had to be out of it, that is a really good feature not to have to clean all, especially on fur or air.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:14 am

I've done another video, more slowly, to show the different steps involved :

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:29 am

Amazing, thank you David, sure beats background removing.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:23 am

It seems to me that the filter works well only when the background image is a diffuse and homogeneous texture. It does not work when the background image has details like the church.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:47 am

Did anybody notice the bird near the under carriage... it stayed in the final. cool.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:06 am

I'm so happy with the new G'MiC filter. I think it's very useful. Thank you very much. I'll be try it in short. :tyspin

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:10 am

Carlos Diniz wrote:It seems to me that the filter works well only when the background image is a diffuse and homogeneous texture. It does not work when the background image has details like the church.

@Carlos, I downloaded your background and your horse. I opened the background layer then opened the horse as layers, I then changed the horse to an alpha channel and erased around the edge and resized it and positioned.
I ran the filter and it came out very weird. Something about that horse doesn't like to be resized.
Before running script

After Running Script

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:32 am

Carlos, I think you are right. I've tried it in two different pictures and the results are different about perfection. When similar background it works great. This other one has taken part of the soil colour. Anyway it's to take the script in mind in some cases. Thanks David. :tyspin

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:46 am

Well of course, the filter is not able to merge an object to a background if pixels around are very different ! It would be really magical !
What it does basically is automatically and locally adjust the colors so that no seams appear, but it does not segment the object.
The colors of the pixels around your object and the location you want to put it on the background can be different, but not the texture.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:50 am

hmm, anyway, that sure is a beautiful horse. Mine went almost completely transparent and it shows the size before resizing.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:19 am

molly wrote:
Carlos Diniz wrote:It seems to me that the filter works well only when the background image is a diffuse and homogeneous texture. It does not work when the background image has details like the church.

@Carlos, I downloaded your background and your horse. I opened the background layer then opened the horse as layers, I then changed the horse to an alpha channel and erased around the edge and resized it and positioned.
I ran the filter and it came out very weird. Something about that horse doesn't like to be resized.
Before running script
[ Image ]

After Running Script
[ Image ]

I had the same problem. Found that I had to remove transparency form the base layer to get it to work.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:33 pm

I installed gmic-1.5.8.6 (dated April 18 2014).
When I open it in Gimp I see Layers -->Blend [average all]
Blend [edges]
Blend [fade]
Blend [median]
Blend [standard]

I don't see Blend [seamless].
What am I doing wrong?
Gerard.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:34 pm

silly question... Did you refresh

Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:55 pm

No I didn't molly.
Took me a while to find out how to do that.
It's there now.
Thanks.

This is a great piece of software!
Gerard.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:01 pm

my pleasure
Post a reply