It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: G'MIC Crashing
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:06 pm  (#1) 

Hello all. Not sure if this is the best place to ask for support, but here it goes anyway. I'd appreciate re-direction if necessary.

Windows 7,64-bit core i5, 4GB RAM... using G'MIC 1.5.8.6 with GIMP 2 2.8.10, Rodilius...

I have no trouble with smaller images. I have been reducing and compressing to about 200KB at 1000x750, and get amazing results for what I'm doing. I love it.

But if I take the resulting image, resample it up to 8000x6000 and run the filter again, even when I've used RIOT to compress the file down to 1.5MB, I get a Blue Screen. It works for a few minutes processing, and my cores are not overheating... it runs hot but it's not overheating.

This was happening with the older version as well, so today I cleaned everything up and re-installed, with no perceptible change in behavior, except that before it seemed to crash immediately, while now it seems to work for a while before crashing.

Can I help someone to help me with this by uploading any error files?

Can I do something differently to avoid the crashing? I've experienced a total of about 8 BODs now.

I really only want to run the filter again to smooth out some of the pixelation from resampling. I want to be able to print the images and also upload some of them to Society6 and other POD sites.

Any idea what I should be doing?

Thanks in advance!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: G'MIC Crashing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:49 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Welcome Laetiporus, you will find G'MIC support here and at the G'MIC Community links.
From G'MIC Reference | 'Image definition and terminology'.
There are no size limitations on each image dimensions. Particularly, the number of image slices or channels can be of arbitrary size within the limits of available memory.
FYI, after 5 posts you can upload files. To add code or a quote use the Full editor toolbar option.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:28 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

G'MIC uses a lot of memory. In G'MIC the images are represented by 32bits per-pixel per-channel, but Gimp uses 8-bits. So G'MIC is using 4 times as much memory as Gimp would.

If we do some maths, we can see how much memory an colour 8000x6000 image would take in G'MIC.

8000x6000 pixels =48,000,000
Times 3 colour channels =144,000,000
times 4 (32bits is 4 x 8) = 576,000,000 bytes

So even before any processing is done G'MIC needs about half a gigabyte of memory. The Rodilius filter actually creates 4 images during processing, so that all of your memory taken up, and the rest of your system needs memory too.

So you are stuck because you don't have enough memory for such a large image.

You could try another filter that does not require so much memory. There are several smoothing filter in the repair menu. Smooth[anisotropic] might work.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:06 am  (#4) 

Thank you Odinbc and Iain.

All is not lost. Firstly, I am not unhappy with some of the results I am getting with a Gaussian blur and some smoothing. I think I could improve my result, but this is passable ATM.

Secondly, I have already ordered more RAM.

I just didn't want to spend $100 on RAM if there was some issue with the software and/or my images, or if there was a way to work around the crash.

You guys seem pretty straight-forward with the jump straight to RAM, and that was kind of what I was hoping, anyway... need more RAM.

Thank you both SO MUCH for responding. I'm really enjoying the utility of G'MIC, and I feel empowered. It's awesome.

Now I wait for my RAM.

Cheers!